Kubiak says that offense will be "run first" (3 Viewers)

Some data from 2023 season footballdb.com

Teams that Rush more than Pass % (snaps)
Answer:
Baltimore Ravens - Rush 50% - 50.7 to be exact.

Others of mention:
9ers and Bears 48%
Falcons and Steelers 47%
Bills and Eagles 45%
Broncos, Titans, Cardinals and Lions 44%
Saints 42%
Chiefs 38%

Some data from 2023 season teamrankings.com

Teams that Rush on 1st down minimum 40% of the time or higher per game (home + road average)
Answers:
Bears & Bills 42% & Ravens 40%

Others of mention:
Steelers 39%
Eagles, Denver and Arizona 38%
9ers, Panthers and Falcons 37%
Saints 33% (last 3 games average 30%)
Chiefs 30%

Teams that Rush on 1st down minimum 40% of the time or higher per game (road games only)
Answers:
Steelers, Ravens 41%, & Bears, Patriots 40%

Notables:
Saints 32%
Chiefs 30%

Teams that Rush on 1st down minimum 40% of the time or higher per game (home games only)
Answers:
Bills 45%, Titans & Bears 44%, Giants 42%, Cardinals 40%

Notables:
Saints 34%
Chiefs 30%

Not trying to make a point, just some data.

Most of these teams had QB issues imo.

Sigh. Exactly. If it's 3rd and three that means it's Taysom time. Depending on the situation that gives you two plays to get 3 yards with one of the league's best short yardage weapons. It's no time to get cute and run some slow developing nonsense.

That was my biggest gripe with Pete. He could draw up plays and he had some nice designs but when it came to situational play calling he struggled. When it came to the red zone play calling he struggled. My hope is that improvement in those two basic areas will lead to a few more wins. The Green Bay game jumps to mind. That's a game you have to win at any level of football but especially the NFL. You're up 17-0 in the 4th quarter. I understand Carr went down but still, you have to find a way to win that game. Taysom had 4 carries for 12 yards. Kendre Miller had 9 carries for 34 yards. Tony Jones had 8 carries for 31 yards. The Saints had 4 possessions in the 4th quarter. Surely Kubiak could do better than this:

3 plays, 8 yards, punt
5 plays, 20 yards, punt
3 plays, 7 yards, punt
8 plays, 47 yards, missed FG

Of course I understand that a lot of people aren't very optimistic about our chances. I get it. Dennis Allen is still the coach and we don't have the roster to make a run at a Super Bowl. But I see posts that seem pessimistic for the sake of pessimism. Any suggestion that the offense could improve because of (reasons) is dismissed and rejected off hand. I don't understand that. If you can't be hopeful here in May, then there's just no hope. At least wait until October to throw your hands up and say, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter".

My hope is that we can run the ball with our RBs and we can get away from having to always rely on QB Power. Then Hill can be used in ways that get him into the open field on DBs instead of having to ram through LBs and DEs. Imagine how many yards he could gain if he caught the ball 4 or 5 yards down field, in the open field, with only CBs and Safeties trying to bring him down?

We can keep QB Power for goal line and short yardage, but I want Hill's skills used in more inventive ways that will keep him healthier.

I agree situationally

All Kubiak/Shanahan offenses see an uptick in ability to run the ball, which should open up what we want to do in the pass game. The less time more guys see in pass protection the better. Now granted 3rd and longs will happen and guys will need to protect, but staying out of those scenarios, in theory, should be more likely in this offense. Neither the 49ers or Rams have a bunch of elite individual performers on the OLine. Their success comes more as a unit and you see it translate in how well they are able to run the ball. 49ers have Trent Williams and then no other house hold name, the Rams are the same, no elite individual performers but they get it done because of how the scheme helps keep them ahead of the chains

No household names now (on those teams), but that is likely to change....I agree scheme does help to an extent but it won't be able to compensate for a 2023 version of Penning......our young offensive lineman are going to have to step up rather quickly,

Just not comfortable with the personnel we have at oline right now.....especially considering Ram is not the same player due to injury and may be retiring......hopefully they can at least bolster the depth a bit before the season starts.....we will see what happens....

Cool... Always a good idea to let the entire league know what your plan is ahead of time... Saves a lot of time really. On a related note... Saints fans are pretty familiar with the run - run - pass - punt offense.
How does this let the league know anything?
It’s coach speak in an interview.

My hope is that we can run the ball with our RBs and we can get away from having to always rely on QB Power. Then Hill can be used in ways that get him into the open field on DBs instead of having to ram through LBs and DEs. Imagine how many yards he could gain if he caught the ball 4 or 5 yards down field, in the open field, with only CBs and Safeties trying to bring him down?

We can keep QB Power for goal line and short yardage, but I want Hill's skills used in more inventive ways that will keep him healthier.
I want to keep QB power with Taysom. It’s extremely effective in certain situations. I just want them to build off of it. When they run the read option add a pass option and let taysom throw it down the seam or over the middle of the linebackers crash down. With zone blocking scheme get taysom in motion for the QB sweep instead of always having him start from standing still in the gun. But add a couple of routes to that side of the field. Maybe a TE running towards the sideline 5-7 yards downfield or the back pylon if we are down around the 5. A WR running a go route or a deep comeback. That forces the defense to sit back for a second while taysom is running parallel to the LoS and they can only react once he turns upfield. Or if they do still react early and close the distance to the LoS, Taysom can flip the ball over their heads to a receiver.

Some data from 2023 season footballdb.com

Teams that Rush more than Pass % (snaps)
Answer:
Baltimore Ravens - Rush 50% - 50.7 to be exact.

Others of mention:
9ers and Bears 48%
Falcons and Steelers 47%
Bills and Eagles 45%
Broncos, Titans, Cardinals and Lions 44%
Saints 42%
Chiefs 38%

Some data from 2023 season teamrankings.com

Teams that Rush on 1st down minimum 40% of the time or higher per game (home + road average)
Answers:
Bears & Bills 42% & Ravens 40%

Others of mention:
Steelers 39%
Eagles, Denver and Arizona 38%
9ers, Panthers and Falcons 37%
Saints 33% (last 3 games average 30%)
Chiefs 30%

Teams that Rush on 1st down minimum 40% of the time or higher per game (road games only)
Answers:
Steelers, Ravens 41%, & Bears, Patriots 40%

Notables:
Saints 32%
Chiefs 30%

Teams that Rush on 1st down minimum 40% of the time or higher per game (home games only)
Answers:
Bills 45%, Titans & Bears 44%, Giants 42%, Cardinals 40%

Notables:
Saints 34%
Chiefs 30%

Not trying to make a point, just some data.

Most of these teams had QB issues imo.

Yeah it makes sense for the Chiefs to put the ball in Mahomes hand on 1st down routinely because he's going to get you yards right out the gate. Teams with good QB's should do that, nothing in Carr's history suggested he was the guy to do that with, which is infuriating.

Can you pull 3rd and long (I think it's anything above 7 yards) data?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom