Kubiak says that offense will be "run first" (1 Viewer)

Not everyone on the team is old. The biggest improvement was always going to come from Olave, Saheed, Penning, and Miller getting another year under their belts with an improved O-line and coaching. I think the Saints have improved plenty.

And the schedule still isn't that hard. In any case, the rest of the NFCS plays the same teams outside of a couple of games.

I think the Saints have improved plenty.

What were Vegas' odds of the Saints making the playoffs in Payton's first year, or the odds of the Saints winning the Super Bowl? Who cares what Vegas says?

I don’t see how you can say our OL is better. We replace Peat with Penning/Udo, Hurst with Saldiveri, and Ram with Fauaga and we’re better? It could be a complete disaster if penning and Saldiveri don’t pan out.

The biggest improvement would be Carr staying healthy. We lost all four games he was knocked out of last year. And his worst games were always the week after he got hurt.

It’s in the link I already provided hard head. Lmao. That’s it. I’m done. You can stew in your own concoction of wrong.
You are delusional , You find 1 article that says he was a finalist , You want someone to actually say it to you? here ya go again
Achane had 103 carries in 23 the least of anyone in the top ten yards per carry, That means he broke off a few big runs , Not a big enough sample size

He's going to salty all yr because he didn't get Bowers. He does that every yr he does not get the player he wanted. Last yr it was Achane SMH
Oh snap you’re right hahahahahhah. Didn’t realize that, oh well. Winning cures everything

Taysom will be a feature of this offense as a triple threat. This is my guess considering we didn’t draft a running back.
Hopefully Taysom will be used differently in 2024 because when he came on the field for his average of 6 touches a game in 2023 most teams knew exactly what play we were going to run... another part of our predictable O in 2023.

We do also have Foster Moreau. He's not spectacular and I would like an upgrade, but he's a solid all around TE. Not really a guy you want to split out, but we have two of those and the UDFA from Colorado State could be one too.
Foster Moreau should be better in 2024. You should remember that most people thought he would not play in 2023 due to his cancer diagnosis!

It is disappointing how short most people's memory are now!

3rd and 3? Time to call the world's slowest developing wide receiver screen to Kamara in the flat as he's five yards behind the line of scrimmage.

The fact that was a regular occurrence with Carmichael is just... flabbergasting.
Sigh. Exactly. If it's 3rd and three that means it's Taysom time. Depending on the situation that gives you two plays to get 3 yards with one of the league's best short yardage weapons. It's no time to get cute and run some slow developing nonsense.

That was my biggest gripe with Pete. He could draw up plays and he had some nice designs but when it came to situational play calling he struggled. When it came to the red zone play calling he struggled. My hope is that improvement in those two basic areas will lead to a few more wins. The Green Bay game jumps to mind. That's a game you have to win at any level of football but especially the NFL. You're up 17-0 in the 4th quarter. I understand Carr went down but still, you have to find a way to win that game. Taysom had 4 carries for 12 yards. Kendre Miller had 9 carries for 34 yards. Tony Jones had 8 carries for 31 yards. The Saints had 4 possessions in the 4th quarter. Surely Kubiak could do better than this:

3 plays, 8 yards, punt
5 plays, 20 yards, punt
3 plays, 7 yards, punt
8 plays, 47 yards, missed FG

Of course I understand that a lot of people aren't very optimistic about our chances. I get it. Dennis Allen is still the coach and we don't have the roster to make a run at a Super Bowl. But I see posts that seem pessimistic for the sake of pessimism. Any suggestion that the offense could improve because of (reasons) is dismissed and rejected off hand. I don't understand that. If you can't be hopeful here in May, then there's just no hope. At least wait until October to throw your hands up and say, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter".

If the unproven players on the offensive line don't pan out it really doesn't matter what type of offense we run....I've never really believed in a "run first or pass first" offensive philosophy.....I think offensive play calling should be more situational....

Who is going to be the head coach?

In this scenario, we will have 4 cornerbacks on the offensive line.

If we think Kubiak is the adult in the room, then he'll be the de facto head coach. The audition is fully his. At some point he has to stop living out of a suitcase.

I am hopeful that Dennis Allen is secretly at football head coaching remedial and finishing school and signed up for the session on "Don't be Inanimate Cardboard Cutout Coach Guy."

That being said, I am joining the camps of peoples here who say that Loomis has full job security, and, Allen and Carr have two more years here, pretty much regardless.

I'm either wishcasting, or, maybe sensing that Loomis -with the draft and cutting one credit card- has tapped the brakes on his ego, and is now resetting and using the "do no harm" path. I like that much better than fast gumsmacker get off my lawn crazy wheeler dealer cap-magic man Mickey.

Find me the OC that doesn't say "We'll be a run first team."

For the slow: It's what they all say.

Last edited:
I would have been slightly more hopeful... and at least looked forward to watching Saints offense on Sunday - with the hope for more than 14-20 point outputs and super long and sketchy FG attempts... Bowers sure... but really anything on offense to be excited about... anything at all that doesn't represent more of the same from last year.

As of now I see no reliable or proven personnel group to run this offense, or block for it... I don't see any young or exciting player additions that can elevate the offense.... and I see a coach that's comfortable with barely getting by, and close enough to keep his job.

This is my team, but at the end of the day I watch for entertainment and excitement... last year's offense was not entertaining nor exciting... and I just see more of the same on the horizon for 2024.

Can't help but think you are feeling the need to add an elite playmaker and I 'm not sure that's necessary. For instance neither Deebo or Aiyuk were considered Elite when 49ers drafted. Pacua for the Rams wasn't elite, so what I'm saying is missing out on that option in the draft doesn't mean guys on the roster can't develop in the system to be seen that way.

I agree, it likely wont be Olave. However... AT Perry, Cedric Wilson Jr, and Juwan Johnson have all shown the ability to play above the rim. I've harped enough about how Johnson was underutilized due to the presence of Michael Thomas. I believe he can have #'s close to his breakout season vs last year now that Thomas is off the team.

You also still have Kamara to be unlocked in this offense and he's still a plenty exciting back when used properly. Not 2020 AK but he's definitely better than what we've seen of him since Payton's departure.

So that's four guys that can be unlocked a bit in this offense. We still haven't talked about Kendre Miller as a runner and receiver (he flashed in both departments) and that's all been done without discussing Olave or Rashid Shaheed as downfield threats, specifically Rashid as a jitterbug guy who can be deployed a lot better than he was last year as well.

That's more than enough weapons and we still haven't discussed Bub Means or Dallin Holker and their potential as new options should they make the roster

You should give the OC and new offense a chance before placing the weight of the previous offense on this years shoulders as though a significant change in how things are done hasn't been put into place. If Pete were returning I'd agree with you or atleast better relate to your POV but no one knows what this offense will look like or how the old/new guys will respond in it.
If the unproven players on the offensive line don't pan out it really doesn't matter what type of offense we run....I've never really believed in a "run first or pass first" offensive philosophy.....I think offensive play calling should be more situational....

I agree situationally

All Kubiak/Shanahan offenses see an uptick in ability to run the ball, which should open up what we want to do in the pass game. The less time more guys see in pass protection the better. Now granted 3rd and longs will happen and guys will need to protect, but staying out of those scenarios, in theory, should be more likely in this offense. Neither the 49ers or Rams have a bunch of elite individual performers on the OLine. Their success comes more as a unit and you see it translate in how well they are able to run the ball. 49ers have Trent Williams and then no other house hold name, the Rams are the same, no elite individual performers but they get it done because of how the scheme helps keep them ahead of the chains.

Last edited:
Modern NFL run offenses are the 49ers, Dolphins, and Rams where run and pass formations and personnel look the same. A major feature of the Brees Sean Payton offense that Carmichael was still trying to run is massive personnel exchanges to specialize in players being put in their best position to do what they do best. The problem is when you do not have a quarterback like Brees with incomparable passing accuracy and play recall and defensive formation awareness the complexity of if this than that to exploit the defense seeing personnel to think they know what is comping breaks down. You get Derek Carr trying to be something he is not. You get unblocked free pass rushers. You get the whole stadium knowing Carr is checking it down to Kamara for a two yard pass because whatever Brees would have done, Carr did not.

The Saints now have drafted two road grader tackles. Penning if he can do anything well is run block. Fuaga was rated the best in the draft at right tackle to run block. Kamara, Miller, Hill, and Williams are going to need to all participate. The run play design's in Carmichael's offense appeared to me as a layman to be pretty predictable. When I watch the 49ers run game they use McCaffery all over the place. Kamara and McCaffery came out in the same draft. My prayer is that Kubiak can bring the best things the 49ers do with McCaffery to New Orleans. Do we have Kittle, Juicecheck, Williams, and Deebo Samuel or Aijuk... No We have an entire team leaning a new offense and we may take a few seasons to get pieces to run it.

For the past two years we’ve already mostly used the run to set up a pass. Fist and second down runs up the middle with AK , then a must pass third & 9.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom