Kubiak says that offense will be "run first" (2 Viewers)

I don't disagree that I need more excitement, but I am interested to see what Kubiak can do with the weapons we do have. I would have liked a big contested catch/YAC guy but the draft didn't fall right for it. Those guys that most of us were targeting at #45 went in the late first.

But, I would like to see what an inventive offensive mind, which I hope/think Kubiak is, can do with Shaheed, Olave, Kamara, Miller, and Taysom. I think all of those guys have play making ability if you get them into space and that is how this offense is supposed to work. And I would like to see how those guys play when teams don't know if you are running or passing based or formation, personnel, and/or down and distance.

I get it... I mentioned that in this thread... It's either Kubiak is a Super genius offensive Jedi Master... or the offense is similar or worse than last year... and we all already know which way Vegas is leaning.

I know you’re just creating an example, but in that example, I’m not sure we have the TEs to create a grouping like that in a traditional set as some will have to be split out. Only two I can see doing that are Johnson and Hill. That may be enough unless one or the other gets hurt. We may need to find another TE after June 1. Another thought could the new guy Horvath be used like that.

We do also have Foster Moreau. He's not spectacular and I would like an upgrade, but he's a solid all around TE. Not really a guy you want to split out, but we have two of those and the UDFA from Colorado State could be one too.

I get it... I mentioned that in this thread... It's either Kubiak is a Super genius offensive Jedi Master... or the offense is similar or worse than last year... and we all already know which way Vegas is leaning.

Vegas does stuff mostly based on getting even money on both sides so they are going to follow the pessimism about the Saints that's spread nationally and locally.

I really don't know what to expect. Could be good or it could be worse. But at least it will be something to be interested in and at least they are trying to change things instead of more of the stale shadow of Sean Payton offense.

I think the good news is that this either works and it's fun again, or it blows up and we get to look at a whole new staff. Penning alone could cost DA his job or he could save it.

I just want to see a clear vision on offense. String some plays together that make sense. Don't just close you eyes and point to the Waffle House menu and say let's do that one. I don't know if Kubiak will be a Jedi Master OC but does he have to be? Can simply having a modern approach to offense and playing to your players' strengths, will that hurt the offense?

The offense still has some work to do in terms of the Jimmy's and the Joe's so I'm not expecting The Greatest Show On Turf. Hopefully some balance and ball control can keep our defense from being absolutely gassed late. Maybe some good situational football. Just really basic stuff that we didn't see from Pete.

Last edited:
Vegas does stuff mostly based on getting even money on both sides

Which means the smart money is so far off the Saints this year that Vegas has to create favorable odds that will get people to place money on the team... I know how it works... LOL

I just wan to see a clear vision on offense. String some plays together that make sense. Don't just close you eyes and point to the Waffle House menu and say let's do that one. I don't know if Kubiak will be a Jedi Master OC but does he have to be? Can simply having a modern approach to offense and playing to you players' strengths, will that hurt the offense?

The offense still has some work to do in terms of the Jimmy's and the Joe's so I'm not expecting The Greatest Show On Turf. Hopefully some balance, and ball control can keep our defense from being absolutely gassed late. Maybe some good situational football. Just really basic stuff that we didn't see from Pete.

3rd and 3? Time to call the world's slowest developing wide receiver screen to Kamara in the flat as he's five yards behind the line of scrimmage.

The fact that was a regular occurrence with Carmichael is just... flabbergasting.

Not really... I mean I do think DA is one of the worst HCs in the NFL... So there is that....

But we also did nothing in the offseason to add an elite (Pro or College) playmaker to the offense in the form of a big body TD - Go getter...

Our line looks better on paper but is still wildly unproven and untested...

Our defense and best our offensive player are a year older...

In my mind, we are running it back against a tougher schedule and a tougher division.... and our only real hope is that Kubiak is an offensive Jedi Master... and on top of that.... Vegas thinks the smart money is against that.... so... yeah... On the (w)hole - I am down.
I don’t think he has to be a Jedi master. I think this team looks a lot better last year if they’re not asking Carr to be savior and are instead supporting him w/ a run game, and protecting the defense a bit better.

Could have been a 10-11 win team with a tweak here are there. If he just dedicated to running a bit more to stay ahead of the chains the offense only needs to carry its weight. The D while older will be fine

I don’t see the division being that much better because I don’t see a single offensive system in place that’s going to put up 24 points every game vs our defense

We may have a shoot out in 1 game or so with Bucs, maybe 1 game w/ falcons but rest of games I expect to be as tight as they were last year. Even w/ cousins in the fold

Not really... I mean I do think DA is one of the worst HCs in the NFL... So there is that....

But we also did nothing in the offseason to add an elite (Pro or College) playmaker to the offense in the form of a big body TD - Go getter...

Our line looks better on paper but is still wildly unproven and untested...

Our defense and our best offensive player are a year older...

In my mind, we are running it back against a tougher schedule and a tougher division.... and our only real hope is that Kubiak is an offensive Jedi Master... and on top of that.... Vegas thinks the smart money is against that.... so... yeah... On the (w)hole - I am down.

Not everyone on the team is old. The biggest improvement was always going to come from Olave, Saheed, Penning, and Miller getting another year under their belts with an improved O-line and coaching. I think the Saints have improved plenty.

And the schedule still isn't that hard. In any case, the rest of the NFCS plays the same teams outside of a couple of games.

I think the Saints have improved plenty.

What were Vegas' odds of the Saints making the playoffs in Payton's first year, or the odds of the Saints winning the Super Bowl? Who cares what Vegas says?

Which means the smart money is so far off the Saints this year that Vegas has to create favorable odds that will get people to place money on the team... I know how it works... LOL

Then you know that Vegas does everything based on the perception of the betting public rather than any true knowledge of the games played or the teams.

The zone blocking scheme will/should create more running lanes and cut back lanes for the running backs, perfect for guys like Kamara and Miller where as under PC it was just running up the backs of lineman.

Yep…it’s a hallmark of his dad’s offenses. Guy used to make any ol’ RB look good with his schemes. From everything I have seen and read so far, it sounds like he plans to implement similar schemes.

The 2023 Saints have so many statistical anomalies.

For example the Saints were 5th in the NFL in time of possession. The 49ers were 8th.

Yep…it’s a hallmark of his dad’s offenses. Guy used to make any ol’ RB look good with his schemes. From everything I have seen and read so far, it sounds like he plans to implement similar schemes.
His dad was quoted as saying he would be a reference to his son, but I'm sure that's always been the case.

Last edited:
Then you know that Vegas does everything based on the perception of the betting public rather than any true knowledge of the games played or the teams.
Betting public is a very loose term…. And you know that average bet boy Joe doesn’t set odds or lines. There is big boy smart money with knowledge bettors that set money lines…. Then there is average Joe that can’t resist 3 to 1 on a bad bet to even the money out over time. This is why Vegas never loses and is rarely wrong.

Vegas is giving you 2 and 1/2 times your money on a bet right now if the Saints even qualify for the playoffs this year. Not win the division. Not win the NFC. Not get to a SB. Just qualify for the postseason. Get you some. lol

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom