NFL Draft Kyle Trask Pro Day (1 Viewer)

Dillonsp

Most Valuable Poster
Reaction score
Sticky Post

The forgotten Heisman candidate. Trask is arguably the most accurate QB in this class. He has elite pocket awareness and movement, great at his ability to read defenses pre-snap, go through progressions, and elite accuracy, not only in ball placement, but also accurate in anticipation of where his receiver will be and reads of the defense.

“Trask said teams are most impressed with his ball placement. He said that they like his ability to turn a 50-50 ball into an 80-20 ball for his receivers.”
mullen predicts trask will have long nfl career

Combine that with elite size and a solid arm, and I strongly believe, if Trask lands with the right team—like the Saints west coast offense—he may end up one of the best QBs in this class. He has a stronger arm than it appears some believe, and can make all the throws. (“Trask clearly has the arm strength” Lance Zierlein NFL.com Draft Profile)

“Smart, accurate pocket passer who displayed consistent progress in his game through the years. Patient, remains poised as the pocket collapses around him, and consistently scans the field going through progressions. Senses the rush, moves outside the pocket to buy time, and throws with a fluid over over-the-top delivery. Locates the open wideout and goes to the safe, underneath outlet if necessary.
Consistently keeps his eyes downfield and distributes the ball using all his targets. Consistently identifies the open wideout, anticipates where his receivers will be, and hits targets in stride. Accurate and does not make pass catchers work hard based on his ability to place throws. Effective setting up screen throws. Does a great job commanding and controlling the offense.”
-Pro Football Network

Sure he was surrounded with elite receiving options, but some of their achievements should be credited to Trask as well. And is that really a knock? It isn't like Trask was merely average with those receivers. Trask was 4th in the heisman race because he was exceptional. Trasks one bad game was against Oklahoma. He performed poorly, but with his top 3 receivers out. Regardless of their talent, any QB will drop off if his #4 receiver is now #1, #5 now #2, etc., especially with a guy like Trask who excels at anticipating where his receivers will be, which clearly is affected when you lose your top 3 familiar targets, along with numerous other obvious problems—not getting separation, coverage sacks, etc.

The guy's only real knock is mobility. He isn't Kyler Murray, but Trask had 2 rushing TDs against LSU and 1 against Alabama. He isn't a slug by any stretch of the imagination and is certainly capable of running. Our current system is setup for Trask's style play with Brees anyway.

I’d love to see Saints land Trask at 28.

Last edited:
OP
Dillonsp

Dillonsp

Most Valuable Poster
Reaction score
Here's a couple examples of mocks with Trask going 28. I wanted to trade down in the first, but the trades were all 2nd round and if you are taking Trask as the long term answer at QB, then the 5th year option is almost a must.

PFN Draft - Trask_Cox.JPG

PFN Draft - Trask_Spencer Brown.JPG
255. Shaun Beyer, TE, Iowa

Example if we try and wait until the 3rd round.
I was able to land nice players at positions of need after drafting trask at 28 too
F9AC4E3E-5A0C-4ACF-89CA-3DFC645DA523.jpeg

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If the Saints view Trask as a potential franchise guy like I do, the first round pick makes a lot of sense. 1) you secure picking your guy for the most important position in football, and 2) using first round gives us 5th year option.
QB will stay the top need, imo, until we know we have our guy long term.
Every year during the draft they talk about how you want to get that 5th year option with a quarterback. I'm starting to think you don't. Nobody ever uses it. If the QB is good teams are extending them after 3 years. If they aren't good they aren't exercising the 5th year option.

saintjay

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm wondering what y'all would think if we pick one of the cb's we want for our 28th pick, and then trade next year's 1st and a pick this year to move near the top of the second round to get Trask. According to the many mocks I have done, he goes in the second nearly every time. I'm thinking if we want him, that's what it will take. The challenge is we need a first round talent in a cb, but getting Trask would be great too.

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wondering what y'all would think if we pick one of the cb's we want for our 28th pick, and then trade next year's 1st and a pick this year to move near the top of the second round to get Trask. According to the many mocks I have done, he goes in the second nearly every time. I'm thinking if we want him, that's what it will take. The challenge is we need a first round talent in a cb, but getting Trask would be great too.
Hate it. If they like Trask that much just take him in the 1st. The only way I'd be cool with trading next year's first is if it's to move up to the middle of the 1st for a higher rated quarterback.

cajunman9

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

That would be the best and probably the last chance we get to draft Kyle Trask.
Next question is who is the trade partner likely to accept the move out of round two ?

saintjay

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm thinking it would take next year's first and our third to entice someone to trade. Maybe we could get another later pick from whomever.

Shadeaux

dear shadeuzx Lord
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I would rather Trask @ 28 then trade up for a decent enough corner if we wanted

:sir-saint:

new city champ

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Always thought Trask reminded me more of a taller Danny Wuerffel than a taller Drew Brees...

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I definitely would not be disappointed if Trask would be the pick at 28. Our QB for the long term.
And deep inside I have always wanted Trask at 28, it's exciting that we would be that much closer to our next franchise QB.
People forget that Trask was a 72+% completion rate QB best in the nation, until he had those 2 bad games at the end of the season.
To me Kyle Trask is a First Round Talent QB.
It doesn't change that our priority picks are a Top CB, LB, DL, QB.
Two bad games?
OU, yes, because basically none of the offensive players played in that one but him.
But the prior game, vs Alabama, 26-40, 408 yards and 3 TDs. Vs Bama. Led offense to 46 points.

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Trask short highlight tape.
Noticed a few things.
He moves well in pocket keeping eyes downfield.
Really throws all the throws, with a rocket quick release.
If you picture CGM as Pitts (84) .....and Deonte Harris as Toney (1).....I could really see Trask being a perfect fit for what we do.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Went searching for info on Trask and found this. A rather bleak take not only about Trask but our slot in the first round too.

JWDtrey3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You don’t throw like he did, for 2 years in a row in the modern SEC, and suck.
This guy wanted a contrarian POV article.
Nahhh... His arm talent is back up quality. If he can elevate the rest of his game. It would make an interesting case. Yet, Trask isn't worth a 1st or 2nd round pick. Just because you can tear up some covid defenses doesn't make you impossible to bust. Saints do like him in the 3rd.

OP
Dillonsp

Dillonsp

Most Valuable Poster
Reaction score
Went searching for info on Trask and found this. A rather bleak take not only about Trask but our slot in the first round too.
Fansided website. No clue who that guy is, but he clearly doesn't like trask. He lost me when he tried to argue against trask's accuracy. It's pretty widely agreed upon that one of Trask's best traits is his accuracy/ball placement, and he's one of the most accurate QBs in the draft. Maybe the fan who wrote the article has an agenda to push Saints away so Trask falls to whatever team he likes? No clue, but take fansided articles with a heavy grain of salt

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom