Speculation Lattimore - Possible Trade Partners Now That June 2nd Has Passed (2 Viewers)

You really bumped this thread again with another essay? Why is this necessary?

So someone a SR member created a thread polling members if they'd trade him for a RT, what's wrong with posting your thoughts there if you want to speak on it?

You're not linking any new information. It's yet again, more speculation pieces. This is really strange behavior from the OP. Guy replies to a post from 2 pages back and over a month ago that he's already replied to multiple times with a nonsense post containing no new information. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
You really bumped this thread again with another essay? Why is this necessary?

I was replying to another poster in this thread. Did you not read why?

So someone a SR member created a thread polling members if they'd trade him for a RT, what's wrong with posting your thoughts there if you want to speak on it?

I didn't post at all in that 4 page thread because my thoughts are broader than that thread subject matter and I don't need your direction where to post them at.

Funny thing, you don't have a single post in that thread either, but you return here to find fault with my posts here. Are you stalking me dude? Just ignore the thread, or better yet, do us both a favor, ignore me and all my posts if you must. I don't post here for recognition and certainly not for your acceptance.

This isn't the first time you have replied to my posts with similar disparaging comments. I encourage discourse and differing opinions

You're not linking any new information. It's yet again, more speculation pieces. This is really strange behavior from the OP. Guy replies to a post from 2 pages back and over a month ago that he's already replied to multiple times with a nonsense post containing no new information. 🤦‍♂️

This thread is Titled Speculation. Must I remind you of that again?

There was an article I cited from 3 days ago on the subject matter. An entire new thread here about trading Lattimore.

Before coming at me did you bother to go tell everyone writing articles at Bleacher Report, Saints Wire, and everyone else here to knock it off?

This isn't the first time you have replied to my posts in this thread with similar disparaging comments. The mere mention of trade speculation of Lattimore seems to stoke your anger. This is supposed to be a happy place where Saints fans are allowed to share information, facts, thoughts and opinions, with open discourse that may differ from one poster to another. Your replies in this thread are anything but that.

Could it be that you are still butt hurt from the exchange below from page 5 in this thread?

Do you look into what you're trying to shove down peoples throats, or are you just scratching and clawing for anything that'll fit this infatuation of yours?

Source to trade rumor? Let me give you a little help. Dustin Panadero of Bleacher Report is not a real person. Doesn't exist.

What they're attempting to cite is this Bleacher Report article where someone named Ryan Fowler gives 4 trade ideas that he thinks make sense, with Lattimore to the Vikings being one of them. There are zero sources. Zero new rumors. He's speculating based on old trade rumors from several months ago paired with the Vikings need for a cornerback and their cap space.

Zero sources. Only speculation.

Good day, sir. :cool:
Nobody is shoving anything downs anyone's throat, but your tone is pushing the envelope here. You've read me wrong if you think I'm infatuated with "this".

It's not my job to do a deep dive journalistic approach when simply posting an article or video that's on the internet for all to see. However, to maintain my integrity as a member posting on SSF, an internet forum for open discussion as it is, I usually state if I am certain that it is factual information, or, possibly mere speculation, or worse, just clickbait. Factual information can't be refuted. Opinions, speculation, and rumors, whether true or unfounded, are up for debate. It's up to the reader to be willing to accept the facts when presented and proven as such, and it's up to the reader to decipher the rest for what it may be. Agree or not.

Along with the videos I posted earlier today I accompanied both with some statements that may have gotten past you while reading my posts.

Some of which are:

From My 1st Post Today, 1st Video - It's merely speculation at this point

From My 1st Post Today, 2nd Video - This video leans heavily on speculation without citing any source of rumors.

From My 1st Post Today, Generalization - We're in the dog days of summer with just over 2 weeks remaining before Saints training camp opens. There's not much going on with player movement right now. In the meantime, sports outlets try to find a nugget here and there and in some case manufacture news with mere speculation which serves as clickbait for their platform to those starving for information.

From My 2nd Post Today, Reply - You may be right as the article you've provided is by Ryan Fowler of Bleacher Report and dated July 7th, 2024. To your point, that's a made-up trade idea.

Could there be substance coming from a second voice possibly hearing it elsewhere or could it merely be a colleague regurgitating something and growing artificial legs underneath it?

Probably the latter.

Good Day To You As Well.

Who appointed you to the Posting Police Department here?

Congratulations on your speedy conclusion to determine it was based off of speculation Columbo.

In your haste to solve the case you stumbled over the first clue.

The word Speculation is highlighted as a pre-fix in the Thread Topic Header.

This entire thread is based off of speculation.
Who knew?

Speculation: The forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Have A Good Day! :cool:

This whole thing smells like when Willie Roaf was traded for a third, and then went on to dominate for the Chiefs. Our team is lacking in difference makers. Oh, and we didn't do anything notable with the third.
I hope he’s not traded, for a plethora of reasons:
1. He’s the best corner the team has ever had and he’s still in his prime.
2. Adebo’s contract is up after this season and he may be gone.
3. I’m not as sold on Taylor as others are. Taylor is much better suited on the boundary tho, than the slot. Imo.
4. League wide we’ve seen that the value we’d get back for him would not be nearly sufficient.
5. Even if we were to get a top flight right tackle in return we aren’t a top flight tackle away imo.

Having said all of that I do hope he can get healthy and stay healthy, he’s had a lot of times missed the last couple of seasons and iirc he’s hurt now too.

Nothing new in regards to Speculation of a Lattimore Trade. Put down the knives.

However, today was an important date for Lattimore, the Saints, and any other team that may want to trade for Lattimore in 2024.

When the Saints and Lattimore reworked his contract, they converted $13.79 Million Dollars of what was previously part of his 2024 salary, into a Roster Bonus that became due today and owed by whichever team roster Lattimore is on. That still as of today is the Saints.

It's significant in that the Saints may find it much easier to trade Marshon to another team now as his 2024 Base Salary is a mere $1.2 million dollars for 2024. Another team in need of a top tier CB may find it easier to make a deal of sort with only having to fit that number under their 2024 cap.

On the other hand, the Saints having now paid the roster bonus may think it's best to keep their best corner on the team for now

One things for sure, nobody will be happier than Lattimore Monday morning at practice.

The NFL trade deadline is November 5th, 2024

Damnit. Everything time that I see this thread I get all giddy like someone who is waiting for something cool to happen, only when I open the thread nothing cool has happened.

Why? Why life, why!?!!
lol I’ll be sad if he’s traded as we will get next to nothing for him.

I'm just not seeing the logic of a trade involving Latt. Sometimes standing pat is the best course of action.

Because there is none. There never was any. If the Saints come out the gate 0-4 and Carr is injured then it makes sense. It never made sense at any point this summer. This thread is the SR equivalent of this...

Maybe, maybe not, bruh.

Here's a bit of click bait speculation, surmising and a suggestion of what a Saints trade with the 49ers could look like involving Marshon Lattimore for Brandon Aiyuk that was put out 7/19/24 by Trace Girouard of Saints Now by Chat Sports that can be viewed on YouTube.

Here's some more from today, 7/20/24, by Patrick Siepman of Vikings Now by Chat Sports that's regurgitating some of the same stuff that Bleacher Report recently put out in a trade idea by Ryan Fowler (Link: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ideas-that-would-transform-the-league-in-2024) involving the Saints sending Lattimore to the Vikings.

In the YouTube Video below Siepman spends about 4 minutes starting at the 47 second mark. He covers not only the trade idea but goes into pretty good detail about the state of the Saints current DB Room.

Link Below:

Stepping all the way back into the beginning of this week on Monday, 7/15/24, David Lathom, Managing Editor of Last Word On Sports, revisits the subject.

Here's an excerpt:

A Recent Article Suggests That The New Orleans Saints Trade Star Cornerback Marshon Lattimore To The Minnesota Vikings.

New Orleans Saints cornerback Marshon Lattimore has been the subject of trade rumors throughout the offseason. A first-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, Lattimore headlined one of the best draft classes in recent memory. The Ohio State product quickly established himself as one of the best cornerbacks in the game, locking down his side of the field while playing a crucial role in turning New Orleans into a legitimate contender during the final years of Drew Brees’ storied career.

However, injuries have taken their toll on the veteran, as he has only played in a combined 17 games over the past two seasons. He hasn’t played up to his old standard even when healthy, as the cornerback finished the 2023 season with a 67.4 PFF grade, the 50th-best mark out of 127 eligible players. The cash-strapped Saints can clear $3.98 million in cap space with a trade, and Bleacher Report‘s Ryan Fowler believes the Minnesota Vikings should send a 2025 fifth-round pick and a 2026 third-round pick for Marshon Lattimore.

Fowler points to the respective depth charts of the Saints and Vikings to justify a potential Marshon Lattimore trade. Despite lacking draft capital, New Orleans traded up to select cornerback Kool-Aid McKinstry in the 2024 NFL Draft, suggesting they believe he has what it takes to be a legitimate lockdown cornerback. Minnesota, meanwhile, swung and missed on cornerback Andrew Booth Jr and safety Lewis Cine and could use more help in their secondary. Defensive coordinator Brian Flores runs an aggressive defense that requires strong cornerback play, and Lattimore could be a huge help there.

The biggest question here is the return. Fowler has the Saints receiving a 2025 fifth-round pick and a 2026 third-round pick, which seems like a lot given the current cornerback market. L’Jarius Sneed is one year younger and considerably better than the present-day version of Marshon Lattimore, but the Chiefs could only trade him for a 2025 third-round pick. Any team acquiring Lattimore will also acquire his bloated contract, so it’s hard to envision New Orleans receiving a better return than what the Chiefs got for Sneed.

Link To Full Article Below:

From a ProFootballNetwork.Com article 5/21/24 by Dallas Robinson. Excerpts below:

Will the Saints Trade Marshon Lattimore? Explaining the Trade Rumors and CB’s Contract Situation​

While Dennis Allen and Mickey Loomis say the Saints aren't planning to trade CB Marshon Lattimore, his contract structure tells a different story.

If New Orleans moves Lattimore on June 2 or later, it could spread his dead money over the 2024 and 2025 seasons.

Lattimore’s guaranteed option bonus is worth $13.79 million and must be exercised before Week 1 of the 2024 regular season.

Moving Lattimore could make sense for New Orleans, which just selected CB Kool-Aid McKinstry in Round 2 of the 2024 NFL Draft and also has corners Paulson Adebo and Alontae Taylor on the roster and needs long-term salary cap space.

In April, ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported that Lattimore was on the trade block during free agency.

However, Allen said Tuesday that the Saints are “moving forward” with Lattimore, who is not expected at the club’s facility until minicamp later this summer.

Loomis has been a bit more evasive. Asked about Lattimore’s status before the draft, the Saints GM said, “Everybody is tradeable.”

After the draft, Loomis expanded on Lattimore’s situation.

“When a guy is a really good player for your team, they’re not on the market per se. But there are times when you get a call and somebody makes a proposal, and it might make sense for you,” Loomis said.

“That’s true for any player on your team. If you get an offer you can’t refuse, you at least have to look at it. So, that’s what I would say. I’m not actively trying to trade Marshon.

“Marshon is such a good player, he’s an elite corner. He’s had some injuries the last couple seasons that have kept him off the field, and we’ve got to get over that. It’s not his fault, it’s just circumstances. That’s just where we’re at.”

Where could Lattimore land? The Las Vegas Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars, Indianapolis Colts, Houston Texans, Green Bay Packers, and Minnesota Vikings could be among the contenders interested in the veteran CB.

Full Article In Link Below:

From a 3/3/24 article by John Sigler of Saints Wire as viewed at saintswire.usatoday.com

Excerpts:

There's a big misconception going around about Marshon Lattimore's contract​

We got this interesting nugget from ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler, who emptied his notebook after a week in Indianapolis steakhouses, pubs, and other informal meeting-places.

And, based off what he’s learned, there’s a fierce market developing for talented cornerbacks. Fowler lists the Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins among the teams looking to move most aggressively in upgrading their depth charts. And the New Orleans Saints could be in their crosshairs.

“Several teams believe Saints corner Marshon Lattimore — whose base salary is a paltry $1.2 million due to a restructure — is also available via a trade,” Fowler wrote. But that’s misleading.

While it’s true that Lattimore’s base salary is set at the league minimum of $1.21 million, that isn’t the only cost an acquiring team would have to pay. He’s also due to receive a $13.79 million roster bonus which will trigger one week before the start of the regular season, giving everyone involved a deadline to work out a deal. He’s going to receive $15 million in compensation from whichever team he’s playing for in the fall.

So while that lower base salary could make him more appealing to other teams in casual trade talks in March, teams are going to look at the situation with more scrutiny when they get down to brass tacks in June (when it’ll be easier for the Saints to trade Lattimore, for accounting purposes). Trading Lattimore before June 1 would cost the Saints a staggering $31.2 million in dead money. Waiting until after that date lessens the blow with charges of $10.6 million and $20.6 million in dead money for 2024 and 2025, respectively.

Stepping back to the beginning of the year when the Saints restructured Lattimore's contract, the 1/4/24 article below by John Sigler of Saints Wire breaks down what the restructure of the contract does. Here's some excerpts from that article:

Marshon Lattimore's unique contract restructure makes a trade more likely​

An unusual contract restructure has made a trade more likely this offseason, or at least more acceptable for the Saints’ accountants.

Thanks to good reporting from NewOrleans.Football’s Nick Underhill, we have a better understanding of this unique restructure. The majority of restructures that the Saints and other teams carry out are simple conversions of base salary to signing bonus, which makes it tougher to get out of those contracts.

In this case, Underhill reports, the Saints converted most of Lattimore’s salary to an option bonus that will be paid out a week before the 2024 season kicks off — and be paid by his new team, not New Orleans, in the event of a trade.

This restructure reduced his salary cap hit from $25.6 million to $14.6 million. If Lattimore is traded before June 1 (opening the door for compensation in 2024 draft picks), the Saints would have to pay more than $30.4 million in dead money while he’s playing for another team. If the draft pick compensation is strong enough it might make sense.

But if they wait until June 2, they would only pay $13.4 million in dead money in 2024 and roughly $20.8 million in 2025. That’s much easier to work with.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Here's what we know as of today, 7/20/24, with the Saints and Marshon Lattimore:

1. Lattimore is currently a member of the 2024 New Orleans Saints under contract and is expected to report to training camp next week.

2. June 1st, 2024 has passed. Trading Lattimore in the off season prior to that date would have been a major blow on the Saints dead cap for 2024.

3. The Saints 2024 season begins September 8th, 2024. One week prior to that date, Lattimore is due a $13.79 Million Dollar roster bonus payable by whichever team he is on.

4. Lattimore has a 2024 salary of $1.2 million dollars.

5. The NFL trade deadline is November 5th, 2024, which is the Tuesday after Week 9 games.

Are you sure about that, bruh? Do you have inside information from Loomis or Allen? Can you accurately predict what will happen between now and 11/5/24?

I'm now being told that some folks know it all. :confused: :shrug:

Is this the longest SR post ever? Is it considered a “post” if you cut and paste the whole internet?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom