Looks like Winston is going to be back in play for the saints. Mod edit (2 Viewers)

After the way this forum acted over DW4????

DO YOU BLAME HIM?

I wouldn't blame him at all.... Has anyone noticed that Winston haven't signed with the Saints yet?

The Saints have all the money AVAILABLE that they were going to give Watson, but haven't signed Winston yet. THAT SAYS ALOT IF YOU ASK ME!!!

Which other teams are going to be in play for Winston? Maybe the Colts, not the Texans, probably not Seattle. The Panthers? The Clowns if they have to part ways with Matty Ice?

He also said we'd be signing Watson. He's not a Saint affiliate he's just making assumptions based off team needs ni different than a mock draft report. He does not know what the Saints plans are at the position, they report NFL moves they don't anticipate them.

Why do you so badly want the Saints to not be involved with Winston? I mean, we already know they made him a contract offer before the Watson thing came up so he was their top free agent choice at the time. Why would things have changed now?

What I said in the Watson thread which proved to be true is that it’s going to be his agent’s decision. The agent always picks the highest dollar deal. Jameis will tell his agent to get me the longest term deal for the most guaranteed money regardless of which team has the best chance of winning. At the very least Panthers will force the the Saints offer up, if not sign him.

You sound like a sad little person.

Saints are confirmed as already offering a contract to Winston before the whole Watson situation emerged. So they were willing/hoping to lock him up before free agency (likely at a number that led Winston to see what other offers would be), but you are saying what really happened is the Saints “settled” by offering a contract before free agency?

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems you want to play semantics games to make your point? Silly rabbit.
NFL FA is a complex animal that doesn't always play out in terms of a completely rational, logical set of priorities and equations. "Semantics" help explain the best-available set of options NFL FOs have, including the Saints.
Winston is the best available FA QB that Loomis and co. have right now they can realistically get. That doesn't mean Loomis, in his private moments, hasn't said or told confidants or others haven't expressed desire that they wished they could afford to get somebody better. If the Saints FO could realistically afforded to pay Watson or even Baker Mayfield the contracts they wanted, they'd choose them over Winston because according to their calculations, both of them carry more potential significant upside.

You can twist that logic into saying, "Well, then I suppose Saints aren't completely sold on Winston to be the long-term guy". Well, sheet maybe thats right but right now he's the best option they can afford to pay and maybe they realize Winston is just a " decent filler" who can throw for 4,500 yards, 30 TD's for the next 2-3 seasons and just win 8-9 games, maybe 10 if he's lucky enough. Right now, some in the Minnesota Vikings FO probably wish they had a better overall QB than Kirk Cousins, but their sort of hamstrung by cap issues and the fact while Cousins is at best, decent, mediocre QB who'll never lead them to multiple SBs, he's still the best they have at the moment and likely for next season, too and its not realistically plausible their going to draft or sign a FA QB who's any better.

You have to have situational ethics or morality if you want to have any success as a corporate executive and that means sometimes going with maybe 70-80% of a sure thing then getting close to 100% with Brees because future HOF QBs like that don't come to franchises that often or under the strange circumstances that directed him to New Orleans back in 2006.

We've been spoiled by the fact Brees was go good and dominant for so long that we forgot what it was once like to have a flawed, often mistake-prone QB who could throw for 4,000 yards but at his very best, averages 8-9 wins a season and we have to accept he's our best available choice even in spite of his flaws and learn to live with it or try in vain to get something better.

Last edited:
Not entirely true at all.
He's thrown for a lot of passing yards and TDs, but so far, he's only had one winning season as a full season starting QB. He has a lot of IMHO, still untapped potential if he can cut down on the INTs. But the previous poster's comments were totally off-the-mark, either. Winston needs a season where he comes out and throws for 4,500 yards and 36 TD's, but also wins 10-11 games. I think he's capable of doing but he has to show first and prove to his detractors he can.

He's thrown for a lot of passing yards and TDs, but so far, he's only had one winning season as a full season starting QB. He has a lot of IMHO, still untapped potential if he can cut down on the INTs. But the previous poster's comments were totally off-the-mark, either. Winston needs a season where he comes out and throws for 4,500 yards and 36 TD's, but also wins 10-11 games. I think he's capable of doing but he has to show first and prove to his detractors he can.
He was on pace this year until the Succaneers

What you say makes sense, but I think today proves we've got no idea what these guys prioritize.
SHOW ME THE MONEY….is the priority! DUH!

Players have a limited number of years to play and earn as much as they can. I would say 99% of the time, particularly for players in their first big contract, it is all about the money. But there are the few, who have had success in the early part of their careers and are on the tail end if their career that may look for an opportunity to win a championship, if they are not already on a contending team.

I sure hope Winston holds no grudges, shrugs it off as "football's a business", and signs with the Saints. I'd understand if he goes somewhere else out of spite, but I hope he's above that. Hopefully, he signs and uses any hard feelings to motivate himself to kill it on the field so he shows everyone he was the better choice in the first place.

And I hope the Colts are after Mayfield, not Winston, but as someone said, it doesn't seem like any of thee insiders know jack all. The guy in Houston who all the local stations talk to to about all things Texans said just this morning it's down to the Saints or the Falcons, but felt sure Watson would pick the Falcons. And so he exposed himself as to just how little he knows what's going on about the one team where he is the "inside information" guy.
Winston is going where the money is. He is no dummy, regardless. Spite; you honestly believe Winston would go somewhere else for less money, out of spite?

NFL FA is a complex animal that doesn't always play out in terms of a completely rational, logical set of priorities and equations. "Semantics" help explain the best-available set of options NFL FOs have, including the Saints.
Winston is the best available FA QB that Loomis and co. have right now they can realistically get. That doesn't mean Loomis, in his private moments, hasn't said or told confidants or others haven't expressed desire that they wished they could afford to get somebody better. If the Saints FO could realistically afforded to pay Watson or even Baker Mayfield the contracts they wanted, they'd choose them over Winston because according to their calculations, both of them carry more potential significant upside.

You can twist that logic into saying, "Well, then I suppose Saints aren't completely sold on Winston to be the long-term guy". Well, sheet maybe thats right but right now he's the best option they can afford to pay and maybe they realize Winston is just a " decent filler" who can throw for 4,500 yards, 30 TD's for the next 2-3 seasons and just win 8-9 games, maybe 10 if he's lucky enough. Right now, some in the Minnesota Vikings FO probably wish they had a better overall QB than Kirk Cousins, but their sort of hamstrung by cap issues and the fact while Cousins is at best, decent, mediocre QB who'll never lead them to multiple SBs, he's still the best they have at the moment and likely for next season, too and its not realistically plausible their going to draft or sign a FA QB who's any better.

You have to have situational ethics or morality if you want to have any success as a corporate executive and that means sometimes going with maybe 70-80% of a sure thing then getting close to 100% with Brees because future HOF QBs like that don't come to franchises that often or under the strange circumstances that directed him to New Orleans back in 2006.

We've been spoiled by the fact Brees was go good and dominant for so long that we forgot what it was once like to have a flawed, often mistake-prone QB who could throw for 4,000 yards but at his very best, averages 8-9 wins a season and we have to accept he's our best available choice even in spite of his flaws and learn to live with it or try in vain to get something better.
All that is true enough, and have said so many times myself. But, he could win a super bowl. Heck, Nick Folles won a super bowl, and he can't get out of his own way. He is so slow. We would do fine with Jamies next season.

I agree but can Winston get to 8-9 wins a season, idk. I believe the Saints offer to Winston was likely backup money, which he would rather not accept until he has no other options. There is a desperate need for qbs, some team may have no other option than to pay Winston starter money. He does have experience. I hope he comes back as a back up and we don’t rely on him to start. With the current defense and an adequate starting caliber qb there is potential.

I agree but can Winston get to 8-9 wins a season, idk. I believe the Saints offer to Winston was likely backup money, which he would rather not accept until he has no other options. There is a desperate need for qbs, some team may have no other option than to pay Winston starter money. He does have experience. I hope he comes back as a back up and we don’t rely on him to start. With the current defense and an adequate starting caliber qb there is potential.

Comes back as a backup? Is this a joke? GTFO with that total BS....

Comes back as a backup? Is this a joke? GTFO with that total BS....
I really enjoy how webster is devoted to this "Winston is only a backup QB" crap. It takes commitment to keep that up for months on end while convincing yourself that we wouldn't have won at least one more game if Winston hadn't gotten injured. He really thinks Siemian and Hill are just as good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom