Loss to Eagles is on DA (47 Viewers)

He could've been a little more aware of Dallas Goedert.
A little more aware? The entire defense should have been keyed in on Goedert. He was responsible for nearly 2/3 of their receiving yards yesterday and the other primary pass catcher, DeVonta Smith, was out of the game with a concussion. Nobody else had more than 13 yards total receiving yards. DA put Harris on him in man. Inexcusable.

You need to go back and watch the game. Players running into each other, we should have been in zone.
our Oline sucked , receivers and Carr were off. Move on to next week!

A little more aware? The entire defense should have been keyed in on Goedert. He was responsible for nearly 2/3 of their receiving yards yesterday and the other primary pass catcher, DeVonta Smith, was out of the game with a concussion. Nobody else had more than 13 yards total receiving yards. DA put Harris on him in man. Inexcusable.

DA claimed after the game that they were often doing things to double Goedert but he was beating it. I'm not sure if what he said is true and I'm not sure if it was the play calls or the execution that made it not work, but that's what DA said they were doing. And there were supposed to be two high Safeties over the top of Goedert with Harris in man on the 3rd and 15 but Howden crashed down from his zone and took out Harris and Lattimore.

I get that you don't like that play call, but it was the guy in zone, Howden, that caused the issue.

DA claimed after the game that they were often doing things to double Goedert but he was beating it. I'm not sure if what he said is true and I'm not sure if it was the play calls or the execution that made it not work, but that's what DA said they were doing. And there were supposed to be two high Safeties over the top of Goedert with Harris in man on the 3rd and 15 but Howden crashed down from his zone and took out Harris and Lattimore.

I get that you don't like that play call, but it was the guy in zone, Howden, that caused the issue.
If he got the defense together and told them to focus on Philly's only real remaining pass catcher, they clearly did not hear him. Goedert broke free nearly immediately after the ball was snapped with Harris several yards behind him and nobody else got close for 55 yards.

Howden did not take out Harris. Harris cut up and into the collision between Howden and Lattimore. It was irrelevant because he was already beat. Besides, Howden wouldn't have had Lattimore crossing in front of him that way if they had been in zone.

Last edited:
With no real threats at WR, the Saints (in hindsight) should of matched up with Goedert by playing more zone (man zone) and challenge Hurts to get the ball in tight windows.

Last edited:
If he got the defense together and told them to focus on Philly's only real remaining pass catcher, they clearly did not hear him. Goedert broke free nearly immediately after the ball was snapped with Harris several yards behind him and nobody else got close for 55 yards.

Howden did not take out Harris. Harris cut up and into the collision between Howden and Lattimore. It was irrelevant because he was already beat. Besides, Howden wouldn't have had Lattimore crossing in front of him that way if they had been in zone.

I'm just telling you what Howden said after the game:

“That’s all my fault,” said Howden, who fell on the sword since he was the deep safety crashing down while the others were in man coverage. “I gotta make sure I clear the traffic because everybody else is in man, and I’m just coming down from space.

“Seen a crosser, was trying to go get it, just ran into another teammate. Things happen, but I just didn’t see him and it just happened at the wrong time. … It sucks, but I gotta move on to next week, because that type of stuff will haunt you.”

I'm just telling you what Howden said after the game:

“That’s all my fault,” said Howden, who fell on the sword since he was the deep safety crashing down while the others were in man coverage. “I gotta make sure I clear the traffic because everybody else is in man, and I’m just coming down from space.

“Seen a crosser, was trying to go get it, just ran into another teammate. Things happen, but I just didn’t see him and it just happened at the wrong time. … It sucks, but I gotta move on to next week, because that type of stuff will haunt you.”

Lol, what was he supposed to say? Throw someone else under the bus?

Lol, what was he supposed to say? Throw someone else under the bus?

According to Triplett Lattimore implied that it was Howden's fault but didn't come out and say it because he didn't want to throw a someone else under the bus.

And while I don't expect Howden to throw someone else under the bus, I do expect that if he didn't think it was his fault he would not say it is my fault. Instead he would have said something like it's just bad luck or they just hit on the right play call against our defense or something like that. No reason for him to take full responsibility if it wasn't his fault.

According to Triplett Lattimore implied that it was Howden's fault but didn't come out and say it because he didn't want to throw a someone else under the bus.

And while I don't expect Howden to throw someone else under the bus, I do expect that if he didn't think it was his fault he would not say it is my fault. Instead he would have said something like it's just bad luck or they just hit on the right play call against our defense or something like that. No reason for him to take full responsibility if it wasn't his fault.
I don’t really want to go around in circles. Yes, Howden ran into Lattimore. Harris got beat at the snap and nobody else was close to their best receiver. Neither of them are even close to being our best DBs. Lattimore, our pro bowl corner, was covering a guy with 2 catches for 8 yards. It was a poorly designed play when considering who they needed to cover. Situational awareness was not a thing on that play. Dumping it on Howden doesn’t work for me, even if he “falls on the sword”.

We can agree to disagree.

I don’t really want to go around in circles. Yes, Howden ran into Lattimore. Harris got beat at the snap and nobody else was close to their best receiver. Neither of them are even close to being our best DBs. Lattimore, our pro bowl corner, was covering a guy with 2 catches for 8 yards. It was a poorly designed play when considering who they needed to cover. Situational awareness was not a thing on that play. Dumping it on Howden doesn’t work for me, even if he “falls on the sword”.

We can agree to disagree.

Personally I would have had Taylor in man coverage on Goedert with a Safety over the top braketing him. So to that extent I don't like the play call either. I'm just saying that playing two high safeties with man underneath isn't really that bad of a call and had 3 guys not run into each other, it would have been a 10 to 15 yard gain at best, not a 61 yard play. What happened was the worst case scenario under those circumstances and it's poor execution whether it was Howden's fault or Harris' fault. A team should be able to play man, even against a Mesh concept, without having 3 guys taken out running into each other.

Frankly, the major concern on 3rd and 15 with 1:15 left on the clock is not a Mesh concept or anything underneath. The concern is someone getting deep on you and that's not what happened here. Frankly since Howden was supposed to be the high safety playing zone on that side, I'm not sure what the hell he was doing chasing a crossing route to the other side of the field.

But, you disagree and that's cool.

Disagree. DA calls the defense, and the defense did everything possible to win this game. Forced two turnovers, shut them out in the first half. They were gassed by the end because the offense did NOTHING. Yes McCoy is out. So maybe don't ram Kamara right up where McCoy is supposed to be over and over, expecting it to somehow work eventually. This one is on Kubiak way more than DA.
Agree, but it does not excuse a very questionable call (at best) to go man to man on 3rd and 16 late in the game when only a TD beats you. It is basic football to play zone and keep the play in front of you with such a down and distance situation.

First off, we lost and it is what it is. I hope DA learns from 2 crucial mistakes that he made in this game. Even if he gets one out of the two right, we likely escape with a win.

First mistake was to not take 3 points in a game that scoring was anemic. If he kicked the FG, we win. The other mistake was playing man instead of a zone defense on the big Goedert play.

You all may disagree with my assessment and hindsight is 20-20 vision, but those are 2 things that veteran coaches should know. I hope that he owns these mistakes and learns from them.
Agreed. In the last minute to call a coverage scheme that easily allowed Goedart to run free was mind blowing stupidity. Keep everything in front and force them to burn clock. DA did the opposite of that. That one call had a huge impact on the loss.

It was a complimentary loss.

I now sound like a broken record...

The defense held the Eagles to 15 points and scoreless for 3+ quarters, while creating 4 turnovers (1 INT, 1 sack-fumble, 2 4th down stops).

STs blocked a punt inside the Eagles' 40.

The offense only managed 12 points out of all of that... and come to think of it, I don't remember the offense getting a single point off any of the turnovers...

This was a total offensive meltdown. The o-line allowed 1 player to disrupt the offense the entire game, while looking like the Keystone Kops, running into each other, and committing bone-headed penalties.

This was no "complimentary loss". This was all on the offense and Kubiak's inability to adjust.

Disagree. DA calls the defense, and the defense did everything possible to win this game. Forced two turnovers, shut them out in the first half. They were gassed by the end because the offense did NOTHING. Yes McCoy is out. So maybe don't ram Kamara right up where McCoy is supposed to be over and over, expecting it to somehow work eventually. This one is on Kubiak way more than DA.
And, everything possible to lose it too. DA cannot win when he has to think. He will never be a winning coach. DA is what he is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom