LSU and Canada to part ways after bowl game (2 Viewers)

Canada is publicly saying he wants to stay at LSU. This whole thing is weird. Is O just completely mismanaging the situation?

Canada is publicly saying he wants to stay at LSU. This whole thing is weird. Is O just completely mismanaging the situation?

Canada is protecting his deal, he is not going to give LSU any chance to get out of his contract.

And yes, Orgeron is mismanaging the deal. He is a defensive line coach, he should have stayed out of Canada’s way once he hired him. Canada’s offense clearly got better over time. It’s crazy we did this big search and then fired our splash hire.

I don't see Ensminger taking the OC job. He has publicly said he doesn't want it, but did it last year as a favor to O. Now, maybe he takes it for a year but that's a big job to give someone who doesn't want it.

I started looking through Orgeron's past to find some possibilities and here are a few I found:

Johnny Morton is currently the OC for the Jets. Previously he was the WR Coach for the Saints and the Passing Game Coordinator/WR Coach for USC under Kiffen, with Orgeron. I don't see him stepping down from the NFL to take a college OC job. However, should he not be retained then perhaps he could be a fit. The Jets offense was surprisingly good this year when Josh McKown was healthy, which was no small feat. Pete Carroll originally hired him to replace Sark, when Sark went to Washington.

Kennedy Polamalu is currently the RB coach for the Vikings. Previously he was the OC for UCLA in 2016 and fired after one year. He was the OC and RBs coach at USC with Kiffen, Orgeron. The Vikings are expected to go deep in the playoffs, so his hiring would not be quick like Orgeron has said. He would be great for things like getting his nephew Troy to come and give pep talks.

Tee Martin is currently the OC for USC. I think this is probably a longshot given he has turned down a job for his previous HC at Tennessee. He is from the Gulfport-area, so his presence would be a boon to recruiting. He seems content to remain the OC at USC and use that as a launchpad to a HC job. Personally I was surprised he didn't interview for the South Alabama job. He would be a great fit at LSU in recruiting, calling plays and working with QBs.

Terry Malone is currently the OC at Purdue. Formerly he worked with O at the Saints where he was the TE coach. They only worked together for one year that I could find, so I'm not sure if that's enough of a bond to bring him to Baton Rouge. He's been the OC for Michigan, too in years they were very productive offensively (Chad Henne's freshman year) becoming a Broyles Award finalist.

Jim Chaney is currently the OC at UGA. Formerly the OC under Joe Tiller at Purdue, coaching a little known HS QB from Austin-Westlake to great success. He later coached in the NFL and transitioned to a more Pro-style offensive system than what they ran at Purdue. When he left the NFL, it was to be the OC at Tennessee under Kiffen. When Urban Meyer took the HC job at Bowling Green, it was Chaney whom he sought advice from on offensive philosophy. He would be a tough get from UGA.

Eddie Gran is currently the Assistant HC and OC at UK. Formerly he worked with Orgeron at Tennessee I believe. He's coached at Miami, Ole Miss, Auburn and Florida State as well working with runningbacks mostly it seems (Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, Rudi Johnson, Ben Tate, Brandon Jacobs, Heath Evans, Kenny Irons, Deuce McAllister, John Avery and Montario Hardesty to name a few) and has been an excellent recruiter. He's also a fellow Cal Lutheran connection like Aranda, although he was there a full decade before Dave. He just signed an extension with UK getting a pay raise to $825,000 with a $150,000 buyout. I'm not sure how likely he is to sign with LSU as he and Stoops seem pretty close, both of them coming to UK from FSU together.

Noel Mazzone is currently jobless having previously been the OC at TAMU. He was the QB Coach and OC at Ole Miss under Orgeron and fired after one season as the OC, but remained employed by Ole Miss. He's worked for Tuberville and Erickson, both Orgeron connections. He worked for Erickson again at ASU before going to UCLA and then TAMU. I don't know if there is bad blood between O and Mazzone after O fired him. Coaching is funny in that firing isn't always seen as something personal, but just part of the job. He's produced a couple really good QBs over the years (Philip Rivers is the obvious one that comes to mind) which we know is something that Orgeron is really looking for in an OC at LSU.

Dan Werner was the OC under Orgeron who replaced Mazzone. He is a coaching legend, having coached several great offenses at Miami under Jimmy Johnson and Erickson to four title games. Recently he was the QB/OC at Ole Miss under Freeze until he was fired and then hired as an "analyst" for Bama under Saban where he currently remains. Werner was the OC at Ole Miss for two of their three victories over Bama.

It won’t be Ensminger. Eddie Gran is a distinct possibility. He runs a pro style. They know eeach other. He is a good recruiter. He had a good offense at Cincinnati, setting team records.

LSU fans would not likely be happy. Gran’s offense at Kentucky has been bad.

Don't sleep on Sark

He hasn't lit the world on fire in Atlanta. Could be out if they miss the playoffs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Gran may be a good recruiter, but we need a better OC than that if Canada is going to be fired and bought out. Based on what I've gathered, this whole thing has to do with O getting his feelings hurt after Canada told him he was an idiot for trying to meddle in his offense early in the season due to fixable things like pre-snap motion penalties. O also handcuffed Canada by not letting him run his uptempo packages or use Brennan, instead opting for a conservative ball-control, no-mistakes approach. This, of course, was the same approach that the offensive genius Les Miles was fired for. If we go back to an offense that fails to score a point against Alabama a la 2016, then I think O needs to be shown the door along with Alleva at the end of next season. I suppose O and Alleva can still fix this mess by hiring a really good replacement for Canada, but what a waste of time and money. Brennan and Narcisse have already learned Canada's offense, and now they will have to start all over again. I realize Canada has moved around a lot, which indicates he may well be part of the problem, but O and Alleva knew this before they hired him, and it was incumbent upon them to make the relationship work.

One of the most disappointing things about Canada's departure was the offense really started to play well within the system. It took a while to really get good at it. Now, they will have to learn an entirely new scheme and that can take a while to master. It also hurts both QBs as they have to the most to learn (plays/verbage).

Canada leaving for a head coaching job would be understandable. But firing him after one year still doesn't sit well with me.

He’s not gone yet

Don't sleep on Sark

He hasn't lit the world on fire in Atlanta. Could be out if they miss the playoffs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I want no part of Sark. He was an ***hole at Washington, an ***hole at USC, an ***hole at Bama, and been an ineffective ***hole with the Falcons. Throw in his serious problems with Alcohol and difficulty with structure, and Atlanta can keep him.

I also don't want Sark. I hear a lot of noise for Hugh Freeze, but I want no part of him either after the rampant recruiting violations he oversaw at Ole Miss. The problem, of course, is that if Canada has to be bought out there won't be much money for a good replacement.

I think Coach O should just suck it up and keep Canada on board if possible. They need to figure out how to put their differences aside and make it work, IMO. Bird in the hand and all that.

Last edited:
I think Coach O should just suck it up and keep Canada on board if possible. They need to figure out how to put their differences aside and make it work, IMO. Bird in the hand and all that.

You're asking them to act like professionals and adults.

So the pressure just ratcheted up coming off that loss to Notre Dame.

The next OC hire needs to be a solid choice with little wiggle room for error.

Btw, including Canada, how much dead money do we have floating down the river?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom