LSU and Canada to part ways after bowl game (1 Viewer)

I think Coach O should just suck it up and keep Canada on board if possible. They need to figure out how to put their differences aside and make it work, IMO. Bird in the hand and all that.
I'm on board with this. Etling had some good runs this season. It wasn't flashy and no defense was scared of him, but the runs were there and he took advantage despite his limitations. Every time I saw him run though, I kept picturing Narcisse running that same play for three times the yards.

So the pressure just ratcheted up coming off that loss to Notre Dame.

The next OC hire needs to be a solid choice with little wiggle room for error.

Btw, including Canada, how much dead money do we have floating down the river?
I heard it was close to $50 million.

New rumor is that O has been talking to Kiffen about Kendal Briles.

I also don't want Sark. I hear a lot of noise for Hugh Freeze, but I want no part of him either after the rampant recruiting violations he oversaw at Ole Miss. The problem, of course, is that if Canada has to be bought out there won't be much money for a good replacement.
I read the documentation released outlining the violations and there is a good reason that out of all those punished, Freeze's punishment was probably the lightest. The issue at Ole Miss under Freeze seems to be the same issue at Ole Miss under Brewer: Booster access to players and recruits. A HC can only do so much and this guy was pretty new to the business of college head coaching. I have no concerns at all that we would see similar issues at LSU.

That being said, I can't see LSU hiring him. They seem to steer wide of any insinuations of impropriety. If Orgeron was really going to hire the best OC out there, then this would be the obvious choice. Instead, he'll get hired by Saban as an analyst for a couple years before becoming the OC and then getting hired again for his own team.

So who do you guys want them to bring in??

There are a lot of big names out there, but a lot with question marks or black marks on their record.

I'm gonna throw out some names, ya'll tell me who you like:

Art Briles or Kendal Briles
Rich Rod (probably a no since he got fired for things.....)
Kevin Sumlin
Doug Marrone
Jim Mcelwain
Tee Martin
Hugh Freeze

Any other names to throw out there?? Just throwing names out to see what sticks..:idunno:

There are a lot of big names out there, but a lot with question marks or black marks on their record.

Kevin Sumlin
Doug Marrone
Jim Mcelwain
Tee Martin
Hugh Freeze

Any other names to throw out there?? Just throwing names out to see what sticks..:idunno:
Doug Marrone? The Jaguar coach?

Kevin Sumlin
Doug Marrone
Jim Mcelwain
Tee Martin
Hugh Freeze

Don’t be shocked if it’s emsminger

Doug Marrone? The Jaguar coach?

Sorry I meant Doug Nussmeier the former Florida OC.

And what about Noel Mazzone the former AtM OC?

And for the record. I wouldn't hate the promotion of Ensminger to permanent OC. He is a good coach and I thought he did an amazing job of getting productivity out of the offense last year with someone else's playbook.

That being said, I know the promotion of Ensminger would PO a bunch of people and wouldn't be the 'splash' hire that some are hoping for. But we made a splash hire in Canada last year and how did that work out???
I think this is going to come down to comfort level for Coach O. He knows what kind of coach and playcaller Ensminger would be and I think they agree on a coaching philosophy level where O and Canada obviously did not.

I know people won't like it, but LSU could do much worse than having Ensminger be the OC. You guys want to bring back Gary Crowton? or maybe Cam is still available?? :hihi:

Hey here is a quick thought, totally random. What about Pete Carmicheal from the Saints??? He has been Sean and Drew's right hand man for like the past 5-6 years. The guy knows offense. Just a matter of whether he would fit at the college level i guess.

Alex Vanpelt got fired from the Packers yesterday. I could see his name getting thrown in the hat. Freeze would be the best scenario. Great offensive coach and a very good recruiter.

I would take Freeze in a heartbeat, but I think LSU will shy away from him for obvious reasons. The NCAA was really light on him considering the magnitude of the Ole Miss scandal, but the other boo-boo and NCAA "stank" will likely make him unhirable at LSU right now.

I kinda agree on Ensminger not being a terrible choice, but Orgeron has to get this one right. If he plays it safe with Ensminger and he whiffs.....O might be out of a job. The next guy has to have the same philosophy as Orgerson, so wide open guys like Art Briles will not happen.

Personally, I don't care. Orgerson has been in this business long enough to know a thing or two about coaches....even if he has to lean on others for help (Kiffen). My number one, without a doubt, wish is to choose what type of offense we will run and stick to it. Recruit to that system. The Miles Brennen/Lowell Narcisse thing reminds me too much of Miles. Two vastly different skill sets. If LSU is going towards the old USC system, you better start recruiting pocket passers with smarts and accuracy. Having a dual threat like Lowell behind Miles is square peg/round hole a la Les Miles!

Kevin Sumlin
Doug Marrone
Jim Mcelwain
Tee Martin
Hugh Freeze

Les Miles will get a job before Art Briles. He allowed some unpseakable things to occur under his watch at Baylor, then did nothing about it when he found out, then behaved as if he were innocent after being fired. He might not ever coach again.

Kendal Briles seems to be getting out from under the Baylor scandal pretty clean, so he might have a chance. However, you better vet the hell out of him to ensure something doesn't come to light after you hire him. LSU won't hesitate firing him if something comes to light and not only does that leave Orgeron without an OC, but less credibility as a HC, too.

Rich Rod is not an option until after his issues shake out. Then he's probably headed to TV before another HC job.

Sumlin isn't going to take an OC job. He'll be a HC soon, but for now he'll take his fully guaranteed contract and enjoy not working for Aggie. It would be a fantastic hire, though.

I don't have anything against Doug Nussmeier. He runs a pro-style offense and is good with QBs, but Orgeron seems to be a guy who hires people he's worked with and they have never worked together that I can find.

Jim McElwain can stay far, far away from LSU. He's toxic right now after the way his termination went down at UF. He might pop up at an AAC school somewhere in a year and work his way back up, but he's not a good fit for LSU right now.

Tee Martin would be a great hire. I would be very surprised to see him leave his OC post at USC though. He wants to be a HC and appears to be biding his time for the right job. He would be a tremendous hire though as an OC, as a QB coach and as a recruiter.

Hugh Freeze would be a fantastic hire, as long as Freeze and Orgeron get along. He's great with QBs, great play-caller, great recruiter. I'm not sure how much credibility he has with players, parents and recruits, though after being caught with prostitutes, lying to players about upcoming sanctions (intentional or not, he still told them untruths) and his whole Christian shtick.

Don’t be shocked if it’s emsminger
I would be ridiculously shocked if a guy who has said he doesn't want the job is named the OC. That being said, it's probably a good possibility because I don't think Orgeron has the authority to go out and buy another OC from someone after costing LSU $3 million to send Canada packing.

Les Miles will get a job before Art Briles. He allowed some unpseakable things to occur under his watch at Baylor, then did nothing about it when he found out, then behaved as if he were innocent after being fired. He might not ever coach again.

Kendal Briles seems to be getting out from under the Baylor scandal pretty clean, so he might have a chance. However, you better vet the hell out of him to ensure something doesn't come to light after you hire him. LSU won't hesitate firing him if something comes to light and not only does that leave Orgeron without an OC, but less credibility as a HC, too.

Rich Rod is not an option until after his issues shake out. Then he's probably headed to TV before another HC job.

Sumlin isn't going to take an OC job. He'll be a HC soon, but for now he'll take his fully guaranteed contract and enjoy not working for Aggie. It would be a fantastic hire, though.

I don't have anything against Doug Nussmeier. He runs a pro-style offense and is good with QBs, but Orgeron seems to be a guy who hires people he's worked with and they have never worked together that I can find.

Jim McElwain can stay far, far away from LSU. He's toxic right now after the way his termination went down at UF. He might pop up at an AAC school somewhere in a year and work his way back up, but he's not a good fit for LSU right now.

Tee Martin would be a great hire. I would be very surprised to see him leave his OC post at USC though. He wants to be a HC and appears to be biding his time for the right job. He would be a tremendous hire though as an OC, as a QB coach and as a recruiter.

Hugh Freeze would be a fantastic hire, as long as Freeze and Orgeron get along. He's great with QBs, great play-caller, great recruiter. I'm not sure how much credibility he has with players, parents and recruits, though after being caught with prostitutes, lying to players about upcoming sanctions (intentional or not, he still told them untruths) and his whole Christian shtick.

I would be ridiculously shocked if a guy who has said he doesn't want the job is named the OC. That being said, it's probably a good possibility because I don't think Orgeron has the authority to go out and buy another OC from someone after costing LSU $3 million to send Canada packing.

Good stuff MLU.

I know most of those names I listed wouldn't really stand a chance just wanted to get a feel. You expressed all the reasons why those guys would or wouldn't work.

Who would be your top choice right now MLU?? regardless of contract, issues, money, etc.

Good stuff MLU.

I know most of those names I listed wouldn't really stand a chance just wanted to get a feel. You expressed all the reasons why those guys would or wouldn't work.

Who would be your top choice right now MLU?? regardless of contract, issues, money, etc.
In order of preference...
  1. Hugh Freeze - Duh
  2. Tee Martin - Checks all the boxes for Orgeron
  3. Matt Canada - Orgeron can get over it
  4. Kendal Briles - Not going to bring the Pro-style, either
  5. Warren Ruggiero - Offenses have been top 10 in total or scoring offense at all six schools
  6. Johnny Morton - Hearing the Jets wouldn't put up a fight to keep him
  7. Noel Mazzone - Comfortable Orgeron hire w/ SEC experience
  8. Terry Malone - Underrated and proven veteran
  9. Dan Werner - Weakens the Bama "Analyst" Horde, too
  10. Matt Kubik - Former Catholic HS coach now putting ULM on the map

Still no word.

Supposedly trying to lock in the new OC before firing Canada which is the smart thing to do. Word was that they had done this yesterday but who knows...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom