Lutz misses his first extra point attempt of season!! (1 Viewer)

Denver fans on the Broncos message boards are Livid at Payton for bringing in Lutz. They're practically calling for Lutz's head. Also they lost 17-16 last year in the opener.
It often seems like kickers struggle under the pressure when teams use draft picks on them. I wonder if being traded for a draft pick (even a 7th) also adds to the pressure.

Don’t wish him any ill but I believe we kept the better kicker. And I felt that way in camp. (Grupe better)
I didn't feel good at all when Lutz kicked last year. I felt better in 21 with the random kicker carousel. They were 10 percent better in FG percentage than Lutz in 22

His facial expression on the bench as the clock ticked away was like he knew it was over. I gotta feel sorry for the kid. The league is (rightfully) not kind to kickers who miss game-changing extra points and field goals from makeable range.

I don’t believe he was going to get a better shot with any other team than Denver. And he may not get another one after that.
Bill, do you think it's plausible, if not likely, that after 2020/2021, Will Lutz got a little too lazy competitively, physically, and emotionally and he lost that aggressive, zero-pressure, laser-focus that made him such an accurate PK for several seasons with us for 5-6 seasons.

I didn't feel good at all when Lutz kicked last year. I felt better in 21 with the random kicker carousel. They were 10 percent better in FG percentage than Lutz in 22
Begs another question: did Lutz lose a bit of his edge, determination, and that focus when he was injured and on IR for the entire 2021 season?

So the Broncos lost because:
- Missed extra point
- Missed field goal
- Umm, let’s me try an onside kick the first play of the first against Peyton…nah, against Jimmy Garoppolo. 😂

Bill, do you think it's plausible, if not likely, that after 2020/2021, Will Lutz got a little too lazy competitively, physically, and emotionally and he lost that aggressive, zero-pressure, laser-focus that made him such an accurate PK for several seasons with us for 5-6 seasons.
Nope...he suffered a core injury and that messed up his mechanics.

I think things changed after his injury. We all assumed that he would eventually adjust as he healed completely. But it appears that mentally he never got over the feelings associated with the injury.

I’m not sure that Payton is going to put up with a questionable kicker for very long. And just that extra concern in his mind may make it tough for Lutz to ever get right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom