"Make it, take it" rule in effect tomorrow at Probowl as a test. (Onside kick alternative) (1 Viewer)

The "test" is going to take place in the joke they call the Pro-Bowl? That should tell you how much the league thinks about this proposal.

I initially think it's interesting but some situations would be sketchy. Like a dominant offense just taking over.

Then I consider the refs and 1st down penalties... and I get nauseous at the thought of this ever happening.

Exactly. There’s too much that can happen.

To me, if you fall behind by so much for the first ~58:00 of the game, then that’s your fault. The other team shouldn’t have to hold its breath because of an arbitrary new rule that can reward teams who play poorly for most of the game.

The "test" is going to take place in the joke they call the Pro-Bowl? That should tell you how much the league thinks about this proposal.

It's gotta be the first step to get initial reaction just to see it in action. They can pretty much tell teams to run it. Next step would be preseason but even then coaches are more worried about talent evaluation than winning the game and testing rules.

Not if you're playing against us. 4th and 15? We'd never stop that. And even if we did, illegal hands to the face or DPI or D-holding... 1st down.

Guys, if they implement this rule, we'll never get the ball again.

It’s yet another way the Refs can control a game to get the NFL’s preferred outcome. Just like the “each team gets the ball” overtime rule came after Farve never got the ball in overtime in 2009. Goodell wants a Vince McMahon level of control over his product. If this rule had been implemented this year there’s a solid chance the Saints don’t even sniff a shot at the number one seed.

There will be teams with high flying passing games (maybe the Chiefs as an example) who could just go for it on the middle of a game.

Pederson in Philly definitely will do it.

There will be teams with high flying passing games (maybe the Chiefs as an example) who could just go for it on the middle of a game.

Pederson in Philly definitely will do it.

So new concept would be developing new 4th and 15 yard conversion plays and defenses against it. I would rush one more than they can block and then play an intermediate and short zone with one deep. Goal would be to make the QB throw quick before the WRs can get 15 yards downfield and if they catch it short than tackling is key.

Not if you're playing against us. 4th and 15? We'd never stop that. And even if we did, illegal hands to the face or DPI or D-holding... 1st down.

Guys, if they implement this rule, we'll never get the ball again.

Maybe it would be a blessing in disguise. DA would have to drill, drill, drill the players on stopping 4th and long, and we would get better at it. Maybe it would then help on 3rd and long, for which we are also atrocious. Maybe.

Maybe it would be a blessing in disguise. DA would have to drill, drill, drill the players on stopping 4th and long, and we would get better at it. Maybe it would then help on 3rd and long, for which we are also atrocious. Maybe.

That would be great. You'd think they're doing that now.
But will any amount of drills keep the Refs from gifting 1st downs to our opponents?

Y'all think we even get to see this rule today?
I would guess you probably will as they say that it will be tried out today. They have to have test subjects for the lesson on how to make the game worse...and this game is one of their test subject games. LOL

Cousins kind of went rogue on the attempt. I'm most teams wouldn't throw up a hail mary. But what do y'all think of the details they just mentioned on TV? In that it's suppose to be only allowed to be done once per team and if that team is two scores down to help keep the games closer.

So that eliminates a team always going for the 4th and 15. But does that mean you can't do a regular onside kick after this one attempt?

Cousins kind of went rogue on the attempt. I'm most teams wouldn't throw up a hail mary. But what do y'all think of the details they just mentioned on TV? In that it's suppose to be only allowed to be done once per team and if that team is two scores down to help keep the games closer.

So that eliminates a team always going for the 4th and 15. But does that mean you can't do a regular onside kick after this one attempt?
I'm wondering if they do institute this rule, if that means they are completely eliminating the Onside Kick as an option. Or if you can choose between one the two as an alternative?

It does make sense to limit 1 attempt per game, only if you are down to prevent abuse and really save it for desperate moments.

I wouldn't mind this rule as much if they cleaned up the officiating.......especially pass interference. Onside kicks are harder to control than a pass interference call. This is designed to make it easier to manipulate the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom