Saints Mike D. opinion: "Next Saints qb is not on roster yet." (1 Viewer)

You mean the guy whose nickname is Teddy Check Down might not be the best deep passer? I’m shocked.
Whoever Payton commits to you know he will rework his offense to that player’s strengths. He’s not going to be like Arians who brings his system and makes players play it.

We'll see, i'm not to terribly thrilled about our QB situation right now in February. I don't think Taysom is the guy and Winston, who knows how much magic Payton will be able to work with him. I'll say this though, if Winston is your guy and he's reformed into a top 10, it'll be the biggest story in the NFL in 10+ years. If Winston gets molded into a top 5 QB, make that 25+ years. The kid from Tampa was a mess more times than not, its gonna be a massive rebuild job with him.

Well said. On the bright side, Mahomes just lost a SB to the oldest QB ever to play in one. Maybe KC is ready to deal him? I'll bet CSP can polish up his flaws and really turn him into something.
That's a huge maybe. That loss wasn't on him, it was on the Oline for KC, and a very stingy defense for Tampa. I've been saying that Tampa was going to win one for the past 3 years, they really are stacked with talent. Anyway, it's funny how all they needed was a little chemistry. Off my tangent, Mahomes is probably one of the top three QB's moving forward and KC knows it. Btw, with that contract...he isnt going anywhere.

They're better served drafting a CB or DE at #28 that can help them now vs a QB that's going to sit on the bench while opposing offenses torch the defense...
Jones is a better pure passer than Herbert was last year.

There is no reason he wouldn't start immediately.

Jones is a better pure passer than Herbert was last year.

There is no reason he wouldn't start immediately.

What is your goal? Start immediately or be successful immediately? They are two completely different things.

Start listing the rookie QBs who started and took their teams to the playoffs. It’s a short list for a reason.

That's a huge maybe. That loss wasn't on him, it was on the Oline for KC, and a very stingy defense for Tampa. I've been saying that Tampa was going to win one for the past 3 years, they really are stacked with talent. Anyway, it's funny how all they needed was a little chemistry. Off my tangent, Mahomes is probably one of the top three QB's moving forward and KC knows it. Btw, with that contract...he isnt going anywhere.

It's the internet, so you get a pass, but I was being sarcastic. Agree with everything you said!

1. We don't know what Winston has shown in practice. I'll say this much: he seems quite engaged in the games.
2. There is no question that Winston has tremendous upside. I believe he's fairly mobile, and he certainly has arm talent galore.
3. If Winston becomes the starter, the Saints can keep Taysom Hill in his Swiss Army Knife role. there's is no doubt that T. Hill excels in that role. If they draft a rookie QB, he could serve in the traditional learning role. Suppose this hypothetical rookie is a quick learner? If so, he could take over if Winston falters. If Winston succeeds, then we're in good shape. Obviously, this assumes that T. Hill is not the QB answer--but he's excellent in his utility role.
4. The precariousness of our cap situation almost dictates signing Winston as economically as possible and drafting a rookie. It's not clear that the Saints have a draft position that will enable them to draft a top-notch rookie QB. I leave that opinion up to the draft experts.

What is your goal? Start immediately or be successful immediately? They are two completely different things.

Start listing the rookie QBs who started and took their teams to the playoffs. It’s a short list for a reason.

In this instance one implies the other.

Mutually inclusive.

Herbert was rookie of the year and had the best season ever for a rookie qb. It follows that if Jones is a better pure passer that he would likely be more successful as well.

Remind me again how he did in the playoffs?

Im not denying he’s a good talent but like all rookies, mistake prone and inconsistent.

I’ll stand behind drafting a rookie would waste the roster until you show me a history of rookie QB coming in and taking teams to and winning in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Remind me again how he did in the playoffs?

mom not denying he’s A good talent but like all rookies, mistake prone and inconsistent.

I’ll stand behind drafting a rookie would waste the roster until you show me a history of rookie QB coming in and taking teams to and winning in the playoffs.
Show me a history of 43 year old qbs winning the superbowl the year after changing teams.

There is a first time for everything.

Several rookie QB'S have played well enough to win superbowls over the past 20 years like

Rothlisberger
Wilson
Herbert
Prescott
Watson
Etc

The supposed contention was that a rookie could not play competently enough to challenge the Buccaneers, which the evidence plainly refutes.

The team around said rookie is another matter entirely.

The rookies listed above qb rating in their first year rivaled and surpassed that of several veteran qbs who have won the superbowl.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom