Need to bring back my man AT Perry! (92 Viewers)

Comments from Allen. Sounded like a player in the doghouse, and demoting to weekly healthy scratch status and releasing a player with his background and had shown promise was an oddity, as was him electing to go to another team’s practice squad.

Things were not all kushy there. It’s very clear to me, but it’s fine to disagree.

I mean if he was in the doghouse, he got there for a reason. DA isn't exactly a disciplinarian and, despite all his faults, has never shown the propensity to just put guys in the doghouse and never let them get out. Lattimore and MT both got out of the doghouse.

Whether it's not knowing the playbook, running wrong routes, not logging enough time watching enough film, a bad attitude or all of the above, he must have done something to not be active on game day, be #6 on the depth chart, get release, and not be claimed by 52 other teams on waivers. I mean it took Pete Carmichael to add him to a practice squad and I don't think any of us think of Pete as a great offensive mind at this point.

My recollection of most of what he did well on in preseason was mostly just straight deep routes. And frankly, it's preseason. Apparently Simi Fehnoko of the Chargers was #2 in preseason with 170 yards. Simi Fehnoko has a total of 3 catches for 61 yards this year for the Chargers with no TDs. So preseason performance doesn't always translate.

And yes, I think a lot of it has to do with him messing up in practice and Kubiak believing that you have to practice well to play well when it counts.

Anyway, I think Perry has some skills. Mostly height and the ability to find soft spots in zones. That may be enough for Carmichael but it isn't enough for Kubiak. And it's also a skill that works for a team that runs a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets more than a team like the Saints now that run a lot of 2 WR sets.

Anway, I'd bring him back in on the 53 after this game since we don't have many options otherwise, but I honestly don't have a lot of hope that he's ever going to be much more than a #4 WR and possible red zone guy. Which obviously has it's advantages, but might not be worth keeping over other players that can do more. Part of his problem is that he doesn't play special teams and you have to do that to make it as a #4 to #6 WR in the NFL.

I don’t think we’re far apart, other than I’m maybe more reticent about projecting his career arc.

Mostly I see him as a guy who could potentially step back in to a diminished position group and ahead of players now on the 53 man roster he was ahead of before. Honestly, if he only replicated some of Shaheed’s deep plays that’s something. Still waiting to see it from Tipton (preseason and regular season).

For some reason, Tribune believes anyone participating in this thread is some sort of A.T. Perry cheeleader making excuses for him, I think.

It’s like we are being lumped in with the tone of the original post or something.

Yeah, but it’s not just this thread and it’s not just the topic of Perry. I often agree with Tribune but the frequent condescension is off-putting.

I mean if he was in the doghouse, he got there for a reason. DA isn't exactly a disciplinarian and, despite all his faults, has never shown the propensity to just put guys in the doghouse and never let them get out. Lattimore and MT both got out of the doghouse.

Whether it's not knowing the playbook, running wrong routes, not logging enough time watching enough film, a bad attitude or all of the above, he must have done something to not be active on game day, be #6 on the depth chart, get release, and not be claimed by 52 other teams on waivers. I mean it took Pete Carmichael to add him to a practice squad and I don't think any of us think of Pete as a great offensive mind at this point.

Oh I agree, he got there for a reason. I believe my position here is being mistaken. I am not defending Perry…just listing out issues that likely led to why he’s where he’s at.

I don’t think we’re far apart, other than I’m maybe more reticent about projecting his career arc.

Mostly I see him as a guy who could potentially step back in to a diminished position group and ahead of players now on the 53 man roster he was ahead of before. Honestly, if he only replicated some of Shaheed’s deep plays that’s something. Still waiting to see it from Tipton (preseason and regular season).

I do think his deep ball ability is now more valuable than it was when he was cut because you still had Olave, Shaheed, and Tipton ahead of him in that category. But, Olave and Shaheed are out and we don't really have much to go on with Tipton other than Carr missed him on one deep route against KC and he couldn't make a difficult catch on another deep route vs. KC. We could use some of that from Perry right now. But I also think we need some serious upgrades over Wilson, Tipton, and Perry in the offseason because none of them appear like they should really be on an NFL roster right now.

Also, I do wish that we would not have had to cut him, but when you have as many injuries as we have had, the #6 WR who doesn't play special teams is a difficult guy not to cut.

But I also think we need some serious upgrades over Wilson, Tipton, and Perry in the offseason because none of them appear like they should really be on an NFL roster right now.

Also, I do wish that we would not have had to cut him, but when you have as many injuries as we have had, the #6 WR who doesn't play special teams is a difficult guy not to cut.

Agreed on both points.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom