Need to bring back my man AT Perry! (92 Viewers)

They should of cut Wilson Butt first. I dont know if A.T would help any. One thing is for certain Wilson's production is comical.
Two reasons why that didn't happen. 1. It would have cost us cap space we didn't have. 2. Missing on a 6th round pick looks better in the eyes of many than missing on on a free agent with guaranteed salary.

It was short sighted to have cut him in the first place. IMO, they should have been shuffling which players were active the bottom of the depth chart all season. Especially since they ones that were active weren't getting targets.

I have no issue with brining back Perry at this point since he essentially costs nothing and we have few healthy WRs.

But, the reason Perry was cut is because he was never active and he was never active because he could not learn the playbook. If you can't learn the playbook you aren't getting on the field. But, maybe he has learned a lesson about working hard and he might know enough to at least play a few snaps per game.

As far as Perry overall, I looked at his play from last year and he just isn't a good route runner. His routes are sloppy and he doesn't seem to put forth full effort. His best skill is that he is 6' 6" and appears to have a knacks for finding soft spots in zones once the play has broken down. That's not really how this offense is run, but I suppose with Rattler at QB he will extend some plays and Perry might be useful as a 3rd WR in the 2 minute drill if the other team is playing zone.

So I don't really think it was a mistake because it happened because he didn't learn the playbook and really wasn't a great fit for this system. I think they kept him because he does have some height and some potential, but he was #6 on the depth chart because they were trying to stash him to give him time to learn to run better routes and to learn the playbook. There is a reason 32 other teams let him clear waivers. He's an interesting developmental prospect but it is hard to keep a guy like that on your 53 man roster. Of course at this point we have plenty of space and a need for WRs so might as well bring back a guy with some potential that knows some of the playbook.

I have no issue with brining back Perry at this point since he essentially costs nothing and we have few healthy WRs.

But, the reason Perry was cut is because he was never active and he was never active because he could not learn the playbook. If you can't learn the playbook you aren't getting on the field. But, maybe he has learned a lesson about working hard and he might know enough to at least play a few snaps per game.

As far as Perry overall, I looked at his play from last year and he just isn't a good route runner. His routes are sloppy and he doesn't seem to put forth full effort. His best skill is that he is 6' 6" and appears to have a knacks for finding soft spots in zones once the play has broken down. That's not really how this offense is run, but I suppose with Rattler at QB he will extend some plays and Perry might be useful as a 3rd WR in the 2 minute drill if the other team is playing zone.

So I don't really think it was a mistake because it happened because he didn't learn the playbook and really wasn't a great fit for this system. I think they kept him because he does have some height and some potential, but he was #6 on the depth chart because they were trying to stash him to give him time to learn to run better routes and to learn the playbook. There is a reason 32 other teams let him clear waivers. He's an interesting developmental prospect but it is hard to keep a guy like that on your 53 man roster. Of course at this point we have plenty of space and a need for WRs so might as well bring back a guy with some potential that knows some of the playbook.
I know there has been talk of him not learning the playbook, but can you point me to a quote? I mean, the guy was our best WR in the preseason, he couldn't have been that bad. And I get the route running angle as well, but we've been in busted plays for weeks now, wouldn't a guy who gets open on those be asset as the 3rd WR on the field? Certainly can't be worse than Wilson.

Oh good God, we've not long got done with the last entirely pointless AT Perry thread.

I swear I've never seen a fanbase so utterly fixated on irrelevant, roster bottom-dwelling WRs as this one. Every five minutes another gazelle in lycra is declared (with absolutely unwavering authority) a huge steal and the future of the position.

And no one ever admits they're just flat out wrong. No matter how many NFL clubs don't want a guy, they're the ones making a dreadful, dreadful mistake...
So some here want to claim that grabbing Pettis off the scrap heap was a good signing because "he knows the system" even though he has not played in 2 years. At least Perry has actually learned the Saints system and has worked with our QBs. To me he is at least better than someone like Pettis or most that we can sign at this point. Would he be a savior? Heck no. But he would be a body that we could expect to step in fairly quickly sense we need some depth.

Was that reported somewhere?

Think there is something personal going on there with him. He may be done with us and prefers to seek other opportunities.

I know there’s been speculation about Perry not knowing the system but I don’t remember him looking lost in the preseason, and he did well enough to lead the league in receiving. Yes, it’s preseason, but it’s what we have to go on.

I heard Kubiak say, regarding Rattler, that he doesn’t believe in “gamers” and that you have to see it in practice, and he had with him. Maybe that indirectly provides some insight into Perry? I remember reports of him having shaky practices. If that’s a problem for him, and he wants to succeed, he’ll have to improve in that area. Still, he’s flashed some ability when he’s in live game action and it’s up to his coaches to help get the best out of him.

Regardless, the team is now forced to find help at the position and it’s either going to be slim pickings or giving up an asset to acquire somebody.

Without a doubt!.. SR can find his guys -OL.. I'd do it in a second.. again, Means ?? .. that's all ??

NW.

Coupled with publicly being singled out by our HC, I'd imagine Perry also feels some type of way about being surpassed in the pecking order by a pair of rookies, one not even drafted and didn't play in the preseason...I know I would probably be done with the Saints too if I'm a competitor and I felt like the situation was unwarranted.

I bet it felt good for Perry to actually feel pursued and wanted by someone else. These guys are all human, after all.

Some of you guys either don't follow the game close enough to know the rules or don't read the thread posts here before posting these comments.

1. The Saints waived Perry on Friday 10/4/24. He cleared waivers and DEN signed him to their PS last Wednesday 10/9/24.

2. League rules state that if a Team signs a player from another teams PS they must place that player on their active roster.

3. League rules state that a Team can't sign a player from another Teams PS within 6 Days of playing that team.

In the case of Perry he was a bottom of the roster player with misc injuries that couldn't get on the field in 2024. The Saints needed a roster spot for an OLinemen due to injuries. At that point only Perry and Rattler were the only 2 players on the active 53 man roster that had not taken a snap. The choice of which player to cut was an easy choice.

If Perry was such a great talent why did 31 teams pass on claiming him and his low cost contract off of waivers, including the Broncos?

If Perry is the next breakout WR to be why didn't Denver elevate or sign him to their active roster last week? Will they do so for the game tonight?

If Denver doesn't sign Perry to their active 53-man roster the Saints can sign him next week to theirs if they want to.

Last edited:
Oh good God, indeed.

We’re down both starting WRs, Tipton is averaging <7 yards a reception and Wilson is practically a no-show on the stat line.

It would cost this team nothing to try and bring a second year player back, who flashed some ability last season, led all NFL WRs this preseason, and who has worked in the system and with our new starting QB.

There’s some merit to the idea under these extraordinarily bleak circumstances.
This ability to completely ignore all the contradicting evidence is so stunning, so incredibly obtuse, that I almost have to admire it. He's Just Another Guy.

I find it fascinating that we cut our 6th round pick, who at least contributed something, while keeping our 2nd round pick, who has done little outside of special teams work this year. Sunk cost vs investment in potential? Overemphasis on special teams being key contributors? Look, it isn't really suprising we cut a 6th round pick and kept a 2nd. That is pretty much how football works, but it does seem indicative of how brittly our team roster has been assembled and exposed by how injury struck we are.

Think there is something personal going on there with him. He may be done with us and prefers to seek other opportunities.
Why can't it be as simple as the fact that there were 5 other receivers better than him and, when forced to cut the most dispensable player on the active roster to address a critical need at OL, the team did the entirely logical thing of cutting the most dispensable player on the roster.

The vested interest in someone who made an extremely marginal impact last year and then promptly got beaten out by 5 (FIVE) other players at the same position is remarkable. Truly remarkable.

Yes, it’s preseason, but it’s what we have to go on.
Sorry to snip this particular part of your post, but it cuts to the heart of all this armchair talent evaluation.

The simple and inescapable fact is that what you or I see in preseason games does not amount to much at all. The player's performance in practice is far more significant, given how many hours of it there are, in player evaluation than a few meaningless plays in an exhibition game.

Please don't talk about 'flashing' ability. This is the NFL, they all have potential, they all have their moments, but that's not what NFL careers are built on.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom