New Public Safety Systems (1 Viewer)

Announcing publicly, before you have a replacement system in place, that you're going to disband a police department might not be a great idea. What if all emergency services, including fire and EMT, go on strike or up and resign? While getting rid of crappy officers is a good thing, crippling an entire city's ability to respond to emergencies is not (IMHO).
what if they don't and this is the perfect time to get much needed reform and if you lose this moment you lose most energy/attention needed for substantive change

I’ve traveled to Europe quite a bit and some places I’ve been have cops who aren’t exactly cops. I think they’re like half-cops or something. They kind of look like school crossing guards and are really friendly. I’d hope for more of those and less of the roving death squad looking-for-trouble type of cops we have here.

what if they don't and this is the perfect time to get much needed reform and if you lose this moment you lose most energy/attention needed for substantive change
That's a valid point. I agree that something needs to change, but I just don't know how smart it is to announce something like that this far in advance.

I hope those that want a disband are advocates of the 2nd amendment.
i'd be curious to play a video game about public safety and oneside was robust police and gun rights advocates and the other was UBI, healthcare, jobs, educations, gun control advocates

i know what side i would play, which side do you think would lead to a safer public?

That's a valid point. I agree that something needs to change, but I just don't know how smart it is to announce something like that this far in advance.
to put a finer point on it, i think you make the announcement to force yourselves into the process
if they came out and gave the "we will look into it" speech, no sentient being would start holding their breath at that moment

following this divergence a bit more, how do you think connecting service years with a UBI would fly legally?

Don’t know but it’s an interesting idea. I think as long as service isn’t compulsory and eligibility to participate isn’t discriminatory, it might be okay. But that’s just first blush.

i'd be curious to play a video game about public safety and oneside was robust police and gun rights advocates and the other was UBI, healthcare, jobs, educations, gun control advocates

i know what side i would play, which side do you think would lead to a safer public?
Which doesn’t have bad people?

Which side would the criminals be on because in your scenario your are making it sound like the police are the bad guys...

Announcing publicly, before you have a replacement system in place, that you're going to disband a police department might not be a great idea. What if all emergency services, including fire and EMT, go on strike or up and resign? While getting rid of crappy officers is a good thing, crippling an entire city's ability to respond to emergencies is not (IMHO).

I think both of these are good points.

Change can be very hard. But change can also be necessary. Successful CEOs know that sometimes remaking an entire division of a company is necessary - with the right thoughtfulness and inspiration, it often works out for the best. But it doesn’t always.

can i reframe it and ask, 'which sides creates fewer bad people?'?

I wonder if it would take a complete rebuilding of society. Folks would need to give up the need for much of what corporations and capitalism sell and people bought in as having value.

That's a tall order IMHO. Not impossible, just how do you transition from personal valuation based on things and bank accounts to personal valuation based on being?

I wonder if it would take a complete rebuilding of society. Folks would need to give up the need for much of what corporations and capitalism sell and people bought in as having value.

That's a tall order IMHO. Not impossible, just how do you transition from personal valuation based on things and bank accounts to personal valuation based on being?
i think that's one of the ideas people have and why they balk at change - that we can't see wholesale change happening
but i think 2 things would be in play
- this would not be fait accompli, any change would be phased in
- people forget that we are a highly adaptive species - give us the foundation (thay we will help choose/build) and we will adapt and evolve and grow it

provide a safety net for those reticent to change but give space for the entrepreneurs and energized and hungry -- it's been awhile since this country has had a growth mindset

This will be really interesting to watch how it unfolds.

In one of the twitter threads I linked, one of the suggestions for reform is funneling more money into community programs. There's a fair amount of evidence that strengthening community organizations leads to significantly lower crime rates (https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0003122417736289).

You also take away police from doing wellness checks, and responding to mental health issues, and instead have mental health professionals take those calls.

My guess is they aren't going to get rid of an agency with investigative and arrest powers, but that will be smaller and more focused and other agencies will deal with things more specific to their areas of expertise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom