New Star Wars series The Acolyte (1 Viewer)

Did this show get better after the first 2 episodes? I lost interest.

I can't deny the deaths of the Degrasse: Jedi cast were extremely satisfactory, didn't like the characters at all. Too bad the nutria didn't get it as well.

However:

Why in the heck would you cut away from lightsaber fights to more talking? 3 secs of action, "no! you must hear more talk, talk, talk, talk", rinse and repeat.

So Qimir is Darth-O-Lantern Darth Emo, seeking religious freedom, and feels entitled to have an acolyte. Needless to say, the character breaks canon. Let's see if the show touches on who trained him.

The old twin switcheroo? Really? And Sol doesn't feel the difference in the Force? I hope that Qimir knew the difference and that's why he didn't kill Osha... but with this writing and this directing, who knows.
Yes, there are some truck sized plot holes going on here along with characters conveniently not being there/appearing at the right time. Very shabby writing.

I felt the exact same thing about Sol not immediately noticing and calling out Mae. Maybe he's playing along to see what she's about, but as bad as some of the writing is, I have my doubts. Again, why would Darth Teeth, without Jedi understanding of the Force, immediately notice he's been left with Osha and Sol not immediately notice that's Mae who with him?

At one point, Darth Teeth suddenly has a second light saber, which he uses to kill Jenik, but then when he returns at the end he only retrieves one. What happened to the other one?

Why does not have a mark on him from the moths when they clearly were biting and tearing at him when they lifted off with him?

How is it Darth Teeth has more Jedi fighting skills than several Jedi knights when he appears to have had no trainer?

And why does he have much more trouble against a single padawan than half a dozen knights? The knights were like cardboard cutouts simply present in the story to have some people Darth Teeth could cut down "to show the audience how powerful he is" without losing anyone important.

What's up with the line about Darth Teeth wearing the mask so Sol "can't see into his head?" Did he have Magneto build him that helmet?

What was the stupid line Yord (or whatever his name is) said about how Darth Teeth doesn't fight logically or whatever and "he gets into your head"? He hadn't even fought with him yet. He'd just been knocked over, then told to high-tail it with Osha.

What's this goofy thing where Darth Teeth hits the light sabers with his fist and they short out? And then the Jedi were shocked by it with a "how is this possible" look on their faces. No explanation of any kind ever offered, of course, even when he did it to Sol and they were blabbering at each other. That might have been the dumbest part of the whole episode.

No, take that back. The reprise of the witches' "Bad Broadway Chorus Line" anthem when Mae did whatever to her face/hair/something to make herself look more like Osha (huh? they already looked exactly alike) was the dumbest, cringiest, and worst part of it.

I note they tried to get around the established "no Sith for a millennia" by having Darth Teeth say "I don't know what I am, but you Jedi might call me a Sith." Lame, but okay, I guess. Then again, if there've been no Sith for 900 years, how does he even know the term?

While the lightsaber fights were well choreographed, they were hamstrung by the stupid light saber short outs and the constant switching away to other scenes of "blah, blah, woof, woof" with other characters.

In some ways, this was the most interesting episode, but in other ways, it was the worst episode.

I keep finding myself less interested every week because the writing defies sense. There is no sense of the characters' traits, no sense of Star Wars lore, no sense of spatial awareness, and no sense of cohesion or timing (like breaking up the fight scenes with blabbering).

They better have some really good explanatory writing upcoming or the whole endeavor will have been just a mess.

Not that most of the Star Wars films and series aren't without their gaffs and mistakes, but for me this is rapidly heading to a senseless train wreck.

Also, I get the feeling we're going to be led to a conclusion that the Jedi did something awful and then covered it all up to save face, so they "really aren't the good guys we think they are after all because there are no actual good guys in real life, everyone is selfish and therefore inherently bad to other people." I think that's a mistake, much too "current PC," (also, that line of thinking is a total lie perpetrated by people who want to excuse their own selfish hatred of others - I know many people who actually are altruistic "good people"), and I'm pretty sure George Lucas will be upset by it. Again, not that George is a great writer, but it's his creation, even if it is just a conglomeration of other sources, so he's entitled to be unhappy if they start tearing up the foundation of his story.

Okay, end soap box.

Yes, there are some truck sized plot holes going on here along with characters conveniently not being there/appearing at the right time. Very shabby writing.

I felt the exact same thing about Sol not immediately noticing and calling out Mae. Maybe he's playing along to see what she's about, but as bad as some of the writing is, I have my doubts. Again, why would Darth Teeth, without Jedi understanding of the Force, immediately notice he's been left with Osha and Sol not immediately notice that's Mae who with him?

At one point, Darth Teeth suddenly has a second light saber, which he uses to kill Jenik, but then when he returns at the end he only retrieves one. What happened to the other one?

Why does not have a mark on him from the moths when they clearly were biting and tearing at him when they lifted off with him?

How is it Darth Teeth has more Jedi fighting skills than several Jedi knights when he appears to have had no trainer?

And why does he have much more trouble against a single padawan than half a dozen knights? The knights were like cardboard cutouts simply present in the story to have some people Darth Teeth could cut down "to show the audience how powerful he is" without losing anyone important.

What's up with the line about Darth Teeth wearing the mask so Sol "can't see into his head?" Did he have Magneto build him that helmet?

What was the stupid line Yord (or whatever his name is) said about how Darth Teeth doesn't fight logically or whatever and "he gets into your head"? He hadn't even fought with him yet. He'd just been knocked over, then told to high-tail it with Osha.

What's this goofy thing where Darth Teeth hits the light sabers with his fist and they short out? And then the Jedi were shocked by it with a "how is this possible" look on their faces. No explanation of any kind ever offered, of course, even when he did it to Sol and they were blabbering at each other. That might have been the dumbest part of the whole episode.

No, take that back. The reprise of the witches' "Bad Broadway Chorus Line" anthem when Mae did whatever to her face/hair/something to make herself look more like Osha (huh? they already looked exactly alike) was the dumbest, cringiest, and worst part of it.

I note they tried to get around the established "no Sith for a millennia" by having Darth Teeth say "I don't know what I am, but you Jedi might call me a Sith." Lame, but okay, I guess. Then again, if there've been no Sith for 900 years, how does he even know the term?

While the lightsaber fights were well choreographed, they were hamstrung by the stupid light saber short outs and the constant switching away to other scenes of "blah, blah, woof, woof" with other characters.

In some ways, this was the most interesting episode, but in other ways, it was the worst episode.

I keep finding myself less interested every week because the writing defies sense. There is no sense of the characters' traits, no sense of Star Wars lore, no sense of spatial awareness, and no sense of cohesion or timing (like breaking up the fight scenes with blabbering).

They better have some really good explanatory writing upcoming or the whole endeavor will have been just a mess.

Not that most of the Star Wars films and series aren't without their gaffs and mistakes, but for me this is rapidly heading to a senseless train wreck.

Also, I get the feeling we're going to be led to a conclusion that the Jedi did something awful and then covered it all up to save face, so they "really aren't the good guys we think they are after all because there are no actual good guys in real life, everyone is selfish and therefore inherently bad to other people." I think that's a mistake, much too "current PC," (also, that line of thinking is a total lie perpetrated by people who want to excuse their own selfish hatred of others - I know many people who actually are altruistic "good people"), and I'm pretty sure George Lucas will be upset by it. Again, not that George is a great writer, but it's his creation, even if it is just a conglomeration of other sources, so he's entitled to be unhappy if they start tearing up the foundation of his story.

Okay, end soap box.
The Star Wars world (the "Force" in particular) is so much larger than Jedi v Sith and once you are able to open up to that, you might be more acceptant to some of the revelations this show has presented. With the introduction of Bendu, they tried to show their audience that what they understood about the Force was just a small sample.

As for the Lightsaber fails: CORTOSIS

Okay, end soap box.

About the lightsabers: I can't remember a scene in any other Star Wars anything when a lightsaber was cut in half, or falter... yet, I think there were 3 or 4 in the fight sequences that were either cut in half or faltered. Weird

The padawan fight, I thought the exact same thing. I guess the writers wanted to make her death more dramatic that it needed to be, but yeah, makes no sense that someone who blew 7 knights away with the flick of a wrist and even left burn marks on the floor, would have such a fight with a padawan.
And there is a lot of that type of discontinuity.

About the lightsabers: I can't remember a scene in any other Star Wars anything when a lightsaber was cut in half, or falter... yet, I think there were 3 or 4 in the fight sequences that were either cut in half or faltered. Weird

I read that his helmet and armor were apparently made of some metal that has been mentioned in previous books that shorts out lightsabers. I'd never heard of it before but it's apparently a thing. That's why they were eventually coming back on.

The Star Wars world (the "Force" in particular) is so much larger than Jedi v Sith and once you are able to open up to that, you might be more acceptant to some of the revelations this show has presented. With the introduction of Bendu, they tried to show their audience that what they understood about the Force was just a small sample.

So do we have to take a class or something?

I read that his helmet and armor were apparently made of some metal that has been mentioned in previous books that shorts out lightsabers. I'd never heard of it before but it's apparently a thing. That's why they were eventually coming back on.

That's not in any of the movies, though.

Okay, but I have to say them bringing in stuff made up in the comic book versions without any sort of reference is a little much.

I disagree about the Bendu. All they showed us was there was a third side when it came to use of the force. One could argue the Witches are another side, but unless I'm mistaken, this show is the first time it's been suggested the witches' powers have anything to do with the force. IIRC, they were just tapping into dark magic when they appeared in the Clone Wars.
Besides, my point was how did Darth Teeth know to say a Jedi would call him a Sith if there haven't been any Sith for 900 years. Who told him what a Sith was? It doesn't make any logical sense he would know the term unless he's been trained by a Sith, which then goes back to the problem of Ki Adi Mundi saying there haven't been any Sith in 1000 years. It's just bad writing.

For the first thing, I think Sol sensed something.

The second lightsaber was like a little dagger in the grip of the "main" saber. You can see him click in back in after he kills her.

We've seen padawans take on Sith before - being a padawan doesn't mean you aren't skilled. She also looks Dathmiri...Dathmiran...from Dathomir, and several strong Force users were from there

I mean Yord didn't have to fight him to have seen him fight

Enough people mentioned the armor, but none those Jedi know what it is, so we're probably not meant to yet either

They still have schools? Sorry responded backwards because I am a dumb. I think it's pretty well established at this point that the Sith didn't exist thing has never been true

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom