New Star Wars series The Acolyte (1 Viewer)

Someone needs to investigate what Disney is doing with these astronomical budgets on these Disney+ shows. None of it shows up on screen. Not only does none of it show up on screen, but most of them look and feel worse than far cheaper shows. They're just burning cash and producing mediocre at best content.

Anyway. This show was simply not good. It was not good and super expensive and few people watched it. A logical cancelation.

Yeah, I don't get where they spent all the money. The jungle in the last few episodes was laughable. It was almost as bad as an old original Star Trek set. It all just looked fake. Really all the set looked fake.

Someone needs to investigate what Disney is doing with these astronomical budgets on these Disney+ shows. None of it shows up on screen. Not only does none of it show up on screen, but most of them look and feel worse than far cheaper shows. They're just burning cash and producing mediocre at best content.

Anyway. This show was simply not good. It was not good and super expensive and few people watched it. A logical cancelation.

The budgets aren't "astronomical". There are substantial costs in producing these shows. $15M-$20M per episode isn't that much nowadays, when you consider that the production is movie quality.

And the Acolyte may be a bad show, but saying that the content Disney+ is "mediocre at best", I guess no one can account for taste, but I don't think Mandalorian, Andor, Ahsoka, Kenobi were "mediocre at best".

The budgets aren't "astronomical". There are substantial costs in producing these shows. $15M-$20M per episode isn't that much nowadays, when you consider that the production is movie quality.

And the Acolyte may be a bad show, but saying that the content Disney+ is "mediocre at best", I guess no one can account for taste, but I don't think Mandalorian, Andor, Ahsoka, Kenobi were "mediocre at best".

Taste is subjective, but from my point of view Andor was a great show, Ahsoka and Kenobi were mediocre, and all but the first season of The Mandalorian was mediocre. Outside of Andor, most of those shows relied of nostalgia and fan service to build an audience and for some, fan service and nostalgia are enough for them to consider a show good.

Taste is subjective, but from my point of view Andor was a great show, Ahsoka and Kenobi were mediocre, and all but the first season of The Mandalorian was mediocre. Outside of Andor, most of those shows relied of nostalgia and fan service to build an audience and for some, fan service and nostalgia are enough for them to consider a show good.
Respectfully disagree on The Mandalorian. IMHO, each season of it pretty much left the previous one in the dust, and I'd thought that previous season, while watching it, was just fantastic.

I slightly disagree on Ahsoka and Kenobi. I wouldn't call them mediocre. They were both good shows, but they were not "great" shows. I can see re-watching Andor because it was excellent and I might want to watch with someone to share it with them. Though I liked it, I doubt I would rewatch Kenobi because it wasn't "that" good. I might rewatch Ahsoka, however.

I can see re-watching Andor because it was excellent and I might want to watch with someone to share it with them. Though I liked it, I doubt I would rewatch Kenobi because it wasn't "that" good. I might rewatch Ahsoka, however.
I'll very likely watch Andor again before S2 but more or less agree with your assessments

Like you said, certainly subjective, but I really enjoyed Andor, Mandalorian, Ahsoka and Kenobi. Heck, while I didn't love it, I didn't hate Acolyte. And while fan service and nostalgia are nice, those aren't the criteria I used to judge whether a show is good or not.

To me, only Acolyte possibly qualifies as mediocre. Just my opinion tho.

I said this before: if you make a movie putting together the last 3 episodes of Mandalorian, it'd be in the top 3 SW movies of all time.

The SW universe is nothing but nostalgia for the people who watched the original trilogy in the theaters when they were released.

And they're trying to sell it to new audiences.

Respectfully disagree on The Mandalorian. IMHO, each season of it pretty much left the previous one in the dust, and I'd thought that previous season, while watching it, was just fantastic.

I slightly disagree on Ahsoka and Kenobi. I wouldn't call them mediocre. They were both good shows, but they were not "great" shows. I can see re-watching Andor because it was excellent and I might want to watch with someone to share it with them. Though I liked it, I doubt I would rewatch Kenobi because it wasn't "that" good. I might rewatch Ahsoka, however.
Nah, season 3 was the worst one. I don't know how to explain it, but it was off. Ahsoka was way better than Obi Wan, but Obi Wan was still good but not great.

Like you said, certainly subjective, but I really enjoyed Andor, Mandalorian, Ahsoka and Kenobi. Heck, while I didn't love it, I didn't hate Acolyte. And while fan service and nostalgia are nice, those aren't the criteria I used to judge whether a show is good or not.

To me, only Acolyte possibly qualifies as mediocre. Just my opinion tho.
Nah, it wasn't good. It's easily their worst Star Wars show and that counts the kiddy cartoons that I've seen but that's only Clone Wars, Rebels and Bad Batch. There were no surprises in Acolyte. I knew May and Osha were going to switch places. Everyone knew Kimir was the "sith" helping May. The best part about the show was bleeding the kyber crystal. And the damned witches chant was horrendous. If you want to know how to do a lame chant and make it not lame, just watch the trailer for Agatha All Along. They did it WAY BETTER. And this is all coming from someone that loves most shows and movies. I'm easy to please.

Nah, it wasn't good. It's easily their worst Star Wars show and that counts the kiddy cartoons that I've seen but that's only Clone Wars, Rebels and Bad Batch. There were no surprises in Acolyte. I knew May and Osha were going to switch places. Everyone knew Kimir was the "sith" helping May. The best part about the show was bleeding the kyber crystal. And the damned witches chant was horrendous. If you want to know how to do a lame chant and make it not lame, just watch the trailer for Agatha All Along. They did it WAY BETTER. And this is all coming from someone that loves most shows and movies. I'm easy to please.
I mean, we agree. I didn't say it was good. I said I didn't hate it. And I don't, not really. It was watchable, and it had a few moments, but that's really about it. There aren't many shows I actually hate tho.

Nah, season 3 was the worst one. I don't know how to explain it, but it was off. Ahsoka was way better than Obi Wan, but Obi Wan was still good but not great.
See, in my opinion, I enjoyed Obi Wan far more than any SW show so far save for maybe first season of The Mandalorian. But I am old school and have never watched The Clone Wars. So while I did enjoy Ahsoka, I am not really tied to those characters in any way. I grew up with the old expanded universe, and admittedly I have a chip on my shoulder when they ditched it all. I was so excited to see Mara, Jacen and Jaina, more Wedge, Tychu, etc.

So maybe that is why I enjoyed Obi Wan so much. It's like the only thing that has come out of NEW star wars that they did right, the casting of Ewan McGregor.

I thought season 1 of The Mandalorian was great, season two was still good, but I kind of lost interest after season two. There were still moments, but I just didn't think it sustained the level of the first season.

I thought Kenobi was good for about half the shows and then they seemed to be kind of rushing the finish. That show really was all about nostalgia, but since I grew up with the original trilogy and played with all the toys, nostalgia was good enough for me.

It's honestly hard for me to give Ahsoka full credit because it appeared to be a continuation of a story I did not know. So, without that background it seemed mediocre. A lot of the character development for that show and the story line was in the cartoons (Star Wars: Rebels?) that I did not watch and frankly it appeared to be a lot of fan service from that show. So, I understood the basic story line, but I didn't have the character development background or specifics of the story that might have made it better. I figured out what was going on, but I suspect it was better if you had watched the cartoon that the story continued because it would make you more invested in the characters and finding whoever that was who was off in the far reaches of the galaxy with the bad guy from the Empire.

Last edited:
See, in my opinion, I enjoyed Obi Wan far more than any SW show so far save for maybe first season of The Mandalorian. But I am old school and have never watched The Clone Wars. So while I did enjoy Ahsoka, I am not really tied to those characters in any way. I grew up with the old expanded universe, and admittedly I have a chip on my shoulder when they ditched it all. I was so excited to see Mara, Jacen and Jaina, more Wedge, Tychu, etc.

So maybe that is why I enjoyed Obi Wan so much. It's like the only thing that has come out of NEW star wars that they did right, the casting of Ewan McGregor.
Couldn't agree more. Although I did watch and enjoyed Clone Wars, I want more Thrawn and expanded universe characters and storylines. They really missed the boat on ignoring what the fanbase was interested in. They could have had an entire series just covering the Yuhzan Vong.

Couldn't agree more. Although I did watch and enjoyed Clone Wars, I want more Thrawn and expanded universe characters and storylines. They really missed the boat on ignoring what the fanbase was interested in. They could have had an entire series just covering the Yuhzan Vong.
I'm still desperately clinging to some small hope that the Ahsoka series is going to lead to Zahn's "Heir to the Empire" trilogy.
I don't care if they re-cast Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando, or if they do some kind of deep fake with voice overs, I just want to see it put to film and done well.

And it's SO far past time we got Mara Jade, already.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom