NFL meeting to ban hip drop tackles.. (Update: Now banned) (1 Viewer)

Gump

Which was better? Super bowl 44 or 51?
Reaction score

I for the life of me cannot seem to fathom why they’d want to ban that. Why do they insist on ruining their product? How are players supposed to tackle on offense. This is getting old. Really old…..

If this gets through…I’m done. No more NFL. I can’t take this non sense anymore. It’s football. It’s a contact sport.

What are your thoughts?

I still don’t understand what this even means. Been around football my whole life and never heard the term “hip drop tackle” until this past year.

How are defenders supposed to tackle someone they’re chasing without grabbing their legs and dragging them down?

This is going to be a mess to enforce.

EDIT: Did some further research on this as to what a hip drop tackle is, its usage frequency per the league data, etc., and actually now feel this rule change is being way overblown.

My thoughts on the subject are here, for anyone that actually cares about what I have to say on this subject lol:

Not sure which side you’re admonishing here, but I both played and coached ball, and the idea of simply wrapping someone’s legs up without subsequently then twisting/contouring myself and lunging the full weight of my body into his knees and ankles isn’t that hard to fathom nor is it that hard to coach out of the relatively few guys that like to do it.

This technique is something that only recently came en vogue (a la when people suddenly started horse-collaring in the late 90s/early 00s), it is rarely being used (.84 per game, which is a whole 60% increase from the previous year), and its legislation out of the game isn’t going to affect the quality of play to the degree many are acting like it will.

This feels like a classic case of monkey-see monkey-do unwarranted social media outrage, including by some of the players.

Last edited:
I still don’t understand what this even means. Been around football my whole life and never heard the term “hip drop tackle” until this past year.

How are defenders supposed to tackle someone they’re chasing without grabbing their legs and dragging them down?

This is going to be a mess to enforce.
This is my biggest concern. ANOTHER vague interpretation penalty than can be called "when necessary".

The rules have slowly taken hard hits out of the game. Grabbing and dragging down is what you almost have to default to. How is a DB (or any player for that matter) supposed to tackle a Derrick Henry in the open field?

I can see what they’re trying to address, the dropping on back of players legs, but you can’t regulate out all of the contact injuries in a contact sport.

There's nothing hard hitting about a hip drop tackle. It's what you do when you can't tackle someone straight up, you hold on and drop your weight on their lower leg/ankles. It's going to be easy to enforce b/c it's pretty evident when someone does it.
I disagree to a degree … I’m good with the hip drop … hooking your legs around front to trip a runner IS a penalty in my mind. … But grabbing them from behind and using your weight to drag them down with sitting on their ankles is good with me … takes some arm strength to pull them down without low leg contact

Last edited:
I disagree to a degree … I’m good with the hip drop … but hooking your legs around front to trip a runner is a penalty in my mind. … But grabbing them from behind and using your weight to drag them down with sitting on their ankles is good with me … takes some arm strength to pull them down without low leg contact

Have you ever had your lower leg snapped?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom