NFL meeting to ban hip drop tackles.. (Update: Now banned) (1 Viewer)

I don't have numbers, but I don't recall any of those things being common before the rule changes.

But, honestly, artificial turf causes more lower leg and head injuries than any of the things they have outlawed, with the possible exception of targeting, and they won't do anything about that because of money.
Yep....that's been my thing.
They are talking about player safety, yet we still have turf on half of the fields and they were thinking about adding another game. The computers ain't computing.

Yep....that's been my thing.
They are talking about player safety, yet we still have turf on half of the fields and they were thinking about adding another game. The computers ain't computing.

Not to mention Thursday night games that seem to lead to a lot of injuries and players playing before they have had time to rest and heal. But, Thursday night games bring in big money so player safety isn't as important then.

There are actual people posting foolishness like this that believe this is what’s being eliminated from the game. SMH.

Rules like this will flesh out in the officiating. How many hip drop tackles were intended by the tackler in a pre-penalty environment? How many are bad luck?

The reality is the NFL owners are billionaires who want to appear they care about the health of players. These are the same people that do not want Americans to have a workable affordable healthcare system. To the owners the players are assets. They prefer their assets operable to profit from higher ratings when stars play. They prefer to avoid lawsuits from retired players not include additional "but you could have passed a rule to stop..." phrases in some future courtroom scenario. If we need to ask why the NFL passed a rule, the answer is because the billionaire owners think it profits them.

Rules like this will flesh out in the officiating. How many hip drop tackles were intended by the tackler in a pre-penalty environment? How many are bad luck?

The reality is the NFL owners are billionaires who want to appear they care about the health of players. These are the same people that do not want Americans to have a workable affordable healthcare system. To the owners the players are assets. They prefer their assets operable to profit from higher ratings when stars play. They prefer to avoid lawsuits from retired players not include additional "but you could have passed a rule to stop..." phrases in some future courtroom scenario. If we need to ask why the NFL passed a rule, the answer is because the billionaire owners think it profits them.

I think it’s less about wanting to give the appearance of wanting player safety and more about “I don’t want so many of my guys I’m paying millions to making millions on the sideline in street clothes anymore.”

This is especially true at QB, where middle of the pack guys are now making $30m plus per year.

There are actual people posting foolishness like this that believe this is what’s being eliminated from the game. SMH.

That looks like what they want players to do. Drop your weight to the ground, don’t drop kick their knees.

s89t17kf8lqc1.jpeg

i mean... by rule what's stopping the ref from flagging that? other than it being the Rams....
The fact that he only has the runner by one arm wrapped around him on initial contact and the tackler DOES NOT underweights himself onto the runner. The defender made contact with the field prior to his lower body making contact with the ball carrier.

ARTICLE 18. HIP-DROP TACKLE. It is a foul if a player uses the following technique to bring a runner to the ground:
(a) grabs the runner with both hands or wraps the runner with both arms; and
(b) unweights himself by swiveling and dropping his hips and/or lower body, landing on and trapping the runner's leg(s) at or below the knee.

The fact that he only has the runner by one arm wrapped around him on initial contact and the tackler DOES NOT underweights himself onto the runner. The defender made contact with the field prior to his lower body making contact with the ball carrier.

Overruled! Judgement call... bang bang play... first down Titians.

i mean... by rule what's stopping the ref from flagging that? other than it being the Rams....
They basically have to drop kick the runner’s legs for it to be a penalty. If their upper body falls on the runner’s legs, it is not a penalty.

PI, Grounding, and horse collar is pretty obvious too....

0ba26c69f15b75c38aee115abfdeca43.gif

Similarly to hip drop tackles, horse collars are unnatural to the game and are decisions players make when in action. There is a reason why the horse collar rule has basically eliminated it from play (like less than one per team got called last year).

When you talking about grounding or PI, those are natural penalties. Those are going to occur, and there will be varying degrees of such.

You won’t see very many hip drop tackles moving forward, because players will no longer decide when in action to hip drop someone, just like they do on literally more than 99% of the tackles they make. It’s a very deliberate act, and as Rouxable compared it to, is similar to flat out deciding to drop kick your opponent.

That Kevin Dyson/Mike Jones play is nowhere close to a hip drop.

I think maybe the term “hip drop” is what’s confusing people. Maybe it’s not descriptive enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom