NFL meeting to ban hip drop tackles.. (Update: Now banned) (1 Viewer)

These kind of tackles commonly roll up players’ legs and ankles more than people think. It’s usually season ending injuries or automatic significant time missed. I can see why it’s banned. I saw it happen to Mark Andrews. It’s happens to RBs a lot. I think I remember seeing someone try to bring Olave down with a hip drop. A team’s best offensive skill player gets taken out the game when defenders become frustrated/lazy at tackling and resort to hip drops.

I understand the “how should they tackle” side. Defenders should also rely on actual sound tackling technique. Instead of pulling/twisting a player’s upper body and putting their weight on to ballcarriers’ lower body areas prone to injury. They’re very aware of what they’re doing. They get desperate to bring a player down in extreme ways when the ballcarrier’s gotten past them instead of actually tackling or grabbing the runner’s legs at that point.

These kind of tackles commonly roll up players’ legs and ankles more than people think. It’s usually season ending injuries or automatic significant time missed. I can see why it’s banned. I saw it happen to Mark Andrews. It’s happens to RBs a lot. I think I remember seeing someone try to bring Olave down with a hip drop.

I understand the “how should they tackle” side. Defenders should also rely on actual sound tackling technique. Instead of pulling/twisting a player’s upper body and putting their weight on to ballcarriers’ lower body areas prone to injury. They’re very aware of what they’re doing. They get desperate to bring a player down in extreme ways when the ballcarrier’s gotten past them instead of actually tackling or grabbing the runner’s legs at that point.

I agree with the need to stop types of tackles that hurt players and that true hip drop tackles should be eliminated, but I think the way the NFL rule is written is too broad and open to interpretations that will result in inconsistent application that isn't likely to make the players any safer. And I don't think making it a foul is likely to reduce the number of times it happens when it's often a very quick decision or a moment of desperation. Fines are just as likely or more likely to change how players tackle.

Beyond that, I looked at the tackle that hurt Mark Andrews and I have a hard time seeing that as a hip drop tackle. Yes he landed on his legs and yes he pulled him down, but he didn't wrap around him to intentionally use his weight to bring him down. His momentum in making the tackle just resulted in him landing on his legs. I'm just not sure how you penalize that or get that out of the game. The stuff you see in the Rugby video above seems to be clearly hip drop tackles that should be outlawed, but I don't see the Mark Andrews tackle as the same thing.

These kind of tackles commonly roll up players’ legs and ankles more than people think. It’s usually season ending injuries or automatic significant time missed. I can see why it’s banned. I saw it happen to Mark Andrews. It’s happens to RBs a lot. I think I remember seeing someone try to bring Olave down with a hip drop. A team’s best offensive skill player gets taken out the game when defenders become frustrated/lazy at tackling and resort to hip drops.

I agree to a point but Tom Brady told us players aren't taught how to protect themselves anymore.

Because everything is being "regulated," fundamentals are no longer taught, now we have more injuries because offensive players don't know how to protect themselves.

Excellent video, especially the examples of players intentionally tacking appropriately to avoid the penalty. You’ve moved me from mostly ambivalent to firmly supporting this change.

I don’t trust the NFL refs to call anything correctly, so I anticipate a complete clownshow implementing this rule.

Every NFL ref crew should have an additional skybox ref. Have that ref constantly reviewing 15 yard/PI type penalties. They are already stopping the game to adjudicate the flag, so another few seconds for the skybox ref to indicate to the head ref whether the penalty was appropriate or not wouldn’t affect the flow of the game at all. Let the NFL teams use their two allotted challenges to also challenge any 15 yard/PI call/non-call.

I think that would get pretty close to solving a lot of the problems. The refs union should support that too as they’d be getting 16 new positions that would be appropriate for refs that are aging out due to physical health.

I for the life of me cannot seem to fathom why they’d want to ban that. Why do they insist on ruining their product? How are players supposed to tackle on offense. This is getting old. Really old…..

If this gets through…I’m done. No more NFL. I can’t take this non sense anymore. It’s football. It’s a contact sport.

What are your thoughts?
I rarely come here anymore just because my interest in football has dramatically dropped off a cliff in in the last 3 years.

I used to be here every day even in the slowest of times over the years all day every day for more than a couple of decades. I even forgot about free agency this year. I decided to pop in while listening to a gaming podcast and see this.

I am done with the NFL as a hobby but like I said I was done although I did enjoy the Superbowl. They have now officially neutered the sport. Lingerie football is a tougher sport than the NFL. The NFL has turned into track stars running around in tiny pads no one can tackle and QB's that are overpaid to underperform on the whole.

This is a horrible rule but I am sure there will be more at this point just put flags on them and eliminate kick offs and punt returns and just spot the ball at the 25 at each change of possession...bleh.

It started out as a financial thing not being able to get the Sunday ticket but once you detach and then look at the state of the game it's horrible and a shame.

Hopefully the Saints can win another and I am glad we won a Superbowl when the game was still decent.

GOOD!!!!!!!

That type of move is NOT tackling!!! It's a lazy shortcut to bring the ball carrier down by any means necessary. The over reaction to this decision is just that. Hip drop tackles are not a common occurrence during a NFL game, you may see one happen out of 16 games played. The players are not coached to perform this move and it's great that the NFL have moved to rid this RARE move from the game before it became commonplace. (y)

Listened to Moving the Chains earlier, Pat didn’t believe the officials would have a problem enforcing the rules correctly. He mentioned that they have referees participating on the competition committee that offer feedback on how effective a new rule will be as written, and the consensus was that they would be able to recognize these illegal tackles without much issue. Usually Pat is up in arms when he doesn’t like something the league is doing, so I don’t think this will be as much of an issue as some think.

GOOD!!!!!!!

That type of move is NOT tackling!!! It's a lazy shortcut to bring the ball carrier down by any means necessary. The over reaction to this decision is just that. Hip drop tackles are not a common occurrence during a NFL game, you may see one happen out of 16 games played. The players are not coached to perform this move and it's great that the NFL have moved to rid this RARE move from the game before it became commonplace. (y)
In this situation, I still think that Tom Brady is more right than he isn't. Who is teaching offensive players how to protect themselves? But the defensive player is supposed to worry about protecting both themselves and the offensive player...

My question is once they pass a defensive player, is the defensive player out of the play? I would love for someone to explain the tackling technique for bringing down somebody running full speed from behind.

Last edited:
In this situation, I still think that Tom Brady is more right than he isn't. Who is teaching offensive players how to protect themselves? But the defensive player is supposed to worry about protecting both themselves and the offensive player...

My question is once they pass a defensive player, is the defensive player out of the play? I would love for someone to explain the tackling technique for bringing down somebody running full speed from behind.
They are still allowed to wrap up the legs even the ankles from behind because they aren’t putting their weight on the legs maybe their upper chest and head but not their whole body. They can’t grab the waist and then sit on the lower legs.

There were only on average one hip drop tackle every 10.4 games, according to the stats the NFL released, but I’m guessing that there were multiple players tackled from behind each game. A tackle from behind is not a hip drop.

The bigger backs like Derrick Henry will be virtually impossible to tackle from behind, even if they can be caught from behind.

The more I read on the subject, the more I think people are overreacting.

Why are we acting like everyone was doing hip drop tackles all game long every week and that suddenly bringing Henry down from behind will be impossible?

I admit, I needed to take some time to get educated, but I think a lot of the complainers don’t fully understand what’s being legislated out here and just how relatively rarely this tackle technique was occurring.

They are still allowed to wrap up the legs even the ankles from behind because they aren’t putting their weight on the legs maybe their upper chest and head but not their whole body. They can’t grab the waist and then sit on the lower legs.

There were only on average one hip drop tackle every 10.4 games, according to the stats the NFL released, but I’m guessing that there were multiple players tackled from behind each game. A tackle from behind is not a hip drop.
Most of the time, you will see that type of tackle while trying to hit them from an angle or from behind. I'm hoping we can get ankle tackles but when it come from a smaller defender to a bigger offensive player, what tackle gives them more leverage. Truth is, we would probably see less injuries if players were taught to protect themselves, as Brady said.
The reason why I ultimately don't like it is below...

The more I read on the subject, the more I think people are overreacting.

Why are we acting like everyone was doing hip drop tackles all game long every week and that suddenly bringing Henry down from behind will be impossible?

I admit, I needed to take some time to get educated, but I think a lot of the complainers don’t fully understand what’s being legislated out here and just how relatively rare this tackle technique was occurring.
I'm actually pretty indifferent but when it comes down to things like this, I take the pulse of the what defensive players in the league are saying. It's easy for me to look at it from the lens of a spectator, but the players are speaking. I really hate that this will be a "subjective" rule that will not be applied equally across the board that will affect games.

The NFL needed another out so they have better control over who wins and who loses. All 15 yard penalties should have a quick review done though. It changes games, and the NFL loves having more judgment calls in their back pocket.

JJ Watt is being serious. It’s impossible to play the game anymore with all the rules. It’s an inherently dangerous sport. Keep removing the danger and it’s just flag football. If that’s where it’s going, just get there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom