NFL meeting to ban hip drop tackles.. (Update: Now banned) (3 Viewers)

The players are opposed to banning the "swivel hip drop tackle". The NFLPA put out the following statement on twitter - X.
First time I recall siding with the NFLPA.

The calls will hopefully be obvious and only 1-2 per season or it will badly detract from the game and the NFL's credibility.

I'm not one to complain about taking dangerous things out of the game or taking the violence out of football, but if the below is an example of something that is a clear violation of the new rule, I'm not sure how you tackle anymore. I mean, yes he landed on the guy's legs, but that's going to happen when you tackle someone to the ground and are trying to hit a moving target. There was no attempt to put full weight on the guy's legs and he wrapped up and brought him down on a bang bang play. It's not like he jumped on top of him and brought him down by putting weight and stress on the guy's knees.

I honestly don't under stand how this is a "hip drop tackle." He hit him in the hips and brought him down. I thought we wanted them to do this to avoid helmet to helmet contact? And the alternative to this kind of tackle is to hit high which is exactly what they wanted them to stop doing up until now. If you can't hit high and you can't hit low, what are you supposed to do? And this looks like a hit in the middle that results in landing on the guy's legs which is now a foul.

Gonna be a lot more explosive plays. Should draft a top flight RB now.

I was thinking it makes a TE like Bowers and big WRs more attractive. How are you going to tackle them with the new rules? The YAC will be crazy for bigger guys with DBs trying to bring them down.

I would bet it will be like all the other safety rules where they don't call them on hits on the RB but call them for WRs, TEs, and QBs.

Defensive players are again being limited on the ability to tackle from behind. TEs and big WRs are getting another advantage.

I was thinking it makes a TE like Bowers and big WRs more attractive. How are you going to tackle them with the new rules? The YAC will be crazy for bigger guys with DBs trying to bring them down.

I would bet it will be like all the other safety rules where they don't call them on hits on the RB but call them for WRs, TEs, and QBs.

Just the thought of how dangerous a running back getting past the 1st level and amount of penalties they'll draw next season as defender adjust.

Stopping Kamara gets a lot harder, because the most successful technique was a hip drop tackle.

Just the thought of how dangerous a running back getting past the 1st level and amount of penalties they'll draw next season as defender adjust.

Stopping Kamara gets a lot harder, because the most successful technique was a hip drop tackle.

It will certainly be harder once they get into the secondary. I'm just thinking of all the helmet to helmet hits RBs take close to the line that never get called. I guess it's technically because they are not defenseless but it seems just as dangerous or more so than QB hits and WRs over the middle. Those guys take a beating near the line and nothing ever seems to get called.

Anyway, I just hope our line/scheme is good enough this year that we can see Kamara running free in the secondary instead of getting hit 2 yards behind the LoS. I'm also hoping for a healthy Kendre Miller. That dude runs with serious violence when healthy. He's going to be a load to bring down.

That rule is broad enough and vague enough to be called on probably 70% of tackles (yes, I am totally making up that number). And, it encourages players to just hit instead of wrapping up and taking a chance that you land on the player's lower leg in the process of tackling. Not much they can do to control where they land in relation to the player being tackled.

The bigger backs like Derrick Henry will be virtually impossible to tackle from behind, even if they can be caught from behind.

Out: hip drop tackle

Back in: diving at the legs and knees from all angles

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom