NFL meeting to ban hip drop tackles.. (Update: Now banned) (2 Viewers)

I played CB & S on D at a time when a lot of the RB's were 6'. They were bigger than most DB's.

When a RB hits a hole and you take him on, some of the time as you're getting steam-rolled, you end up sliding around to the back side just holding on to make the tackle...

Are you saying that somehow the DB in the heat of battle is suppose to just let go now?
Nowhere did I say to just let go. I too remember getting steamrolled by players 40 lbs heavier, and as I recall you're hanging on for dear life with your legs dragging on the ground. Much different from a hip drop, where you kick your legs out in front of you and drop your entire weight directly on the back of the runner's ankle/leg.

Expect to see a lot more of this...

The only way the Saints were able to get Kittle down was CGJ eventually jumped up and grabbed his head and then did a hip drop deal. Only way to get him down.

Tackling is already awful in the NFL. It's going to get much worse. But whatever, more points!

Huh? That's not a great example, the other players were just trying to strip the ball not actually bring him down. Well, maybe Williams was trying to bring him down, but if he was then it was a pathetic attempt.

In my mind, a clean hip-drop tackle happens you have to try and take down a ball carrier from behind. If you grab them and then drop to the ground (sit down) to pull them down without putting weight on their lower legs, then it’s clean. The best way to make that happen is to swing your weight to either side of the ballcarrier to prevent contact with their lower legs. … But I don’t have a problem with it being a penalty if a tackler actually sits on the ballcarrier’s lower legs or swinging their legs in front of the ballcarrier to trip him.

Nowhere did I say to just let go. I too remember getting steamrolled by players 40 lbs heavier, and as I recall you're hanging on for dear life with your legs dragging on the ground. Much different from a hip drop, where you kick your legs out in front of you and drop your entire weight directly on the back of the runner's ankle/leg.
That's where I think this rule will be problematic. A lot of tackles are made with the tackler wrapping (and not necessarily from the back as someone mentioned before) and the legs kicked and they drop their weight. I guess the key will be if they land on the back of the players legs. In the video highlights of our new linebacker, Gay, used that technique about three times. I'm not saying these will fit the league's definition of a "hip drop tackle" but that is the ambiguity I'm concerned about, i.e. "was that a hip drop tackle" and "was there enough contact with the back of the legs to warrant a penalty" etc. We'll see if the rule passes at all and if it can be defined properly to minimize interpretation.

Here's the video link and it should start at the first play I noticed at about 3:56. Two others at 4:30 and 5:29. (Side comment - that guy, Gay, is fast!!)

Here's the video link and it should start at the first play I noticed at about 3:56. Two others at 4:30 and 5:29. (Side comment - that guy, Gay, is fast!!)
None of those tackles would fit the criteria if this rule is passed.

First criteria is grabbing the player with BOTH hands or wrapping BOTH arms around ball carrier. All 3 plays meet this aspect of the rule.

Second the defender must drop hip or lower body. This is where it gets a bit confusing. What’s dropping mean? In all 3 plays, to me, gay’s hips swung horizontal to the ground not “dropped”. I think that doesn’t fit but could see an official ruling it does. This needs better clarification.

Third the defender lands on ball carriers legs below the knee or wraps his legs around ball carriers lower legs. All 3 of those plays clearly and most definitely don’t meet the last criteria. None of those plays would be a penalty.

NFL also stated they believed most cases wouldn’t result in on field flags but fines later in the week owing to it being difficult to recognize a hip drop tackle. And this is my biggest issue with it. If it’s hard to recognize don’t add it. Or make it to where it’s only punishable by fines or suspensions for repeat offenders (3-4 times in the same season). But can’t be flagged during the game. Last thing I want is another penalty that gets called sometimes but not consistently and impacts the outcome of a game.

None of those tackles would fit the criteria if this rule is passed.

First criteria is grabbing the player with BOTH hands or wrapping BOTH arms around ball carrier. All 3 plays meet this aspect of the rule.

Second the defender must drop hip or lower body. This is where it gets a bit confusing. What’s dropping mean? In all 3 plays, to me, gay’s hips swung horizontal to the ground not “dropped”. I think that doesn’t fit but could see an official ruling it does. This needs better clarification.

Third the defender lands on ball carriers legs below the knee or wraps his legs around ball carriers lower legs. All 3 of those plays clearly and most definitely don’t meet the last criteria. None of those plays would be a penalty.

NFL also stated they believed most cases wouldn’t result in on field flags but fines later in the week owing to it being difficult to recognize a hip drop tackle. And this is my biggest issue with it. If it’s hard to recognize don’t add it. Or make it to where it’s only punishable by fines or suspensions for repeat offenders (3-4 times in the same season). But can’t be flagged during the game. Last thing I want is another penalty that gets called sometimes but not consistently and impacts the outcome of a game.
Agreed, none of those tackles would be a penalty.

The game is no longer Football as we were raised to know. They are taking physicality completely out of it. Hockey is now America's most violent sport outside of fighting sports.

The game is no longer Football as we were raised to know. They are taking physicality completely out of it. Hockey is now America's most violent sport outside of fighting sports.
True, but this type of play doesn’t need to be part of the game unless people just like seeing videos of broken legs and ankles.

Having too many rules equates to "Show me the team and I'll show you the infraction."

When there are too many rules, the NFL can easily pick the winners and losers. And they will if given the opportunity.

Last edited:
True, but this type of play doesn’t need to be part of the game unless people just like seeing videos of broken legs and ankles.

I would bet that there are more non-contact injuries than "hip drop" injuries. I can't count the times I have seen someone get a season-ending knee injury from cutting and even a few from celebrating.

All these crap rules are for is more NFL control of winners and losers.

Where are you supposed to tackle them? Can’t go high. Cant go low. Can’t get your head anywhere near the player, so come on man.
Like MLB some years ago when they tried to turn it into home run derby. There was above the belt-ball and below the belt-ball. Bel-vel was the strike zone. It sucked

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom