Pete Werner: An extensive breakdown. (1 Viewer)

Underhill had an interesting assessment. He basically stated that Werner had what it takes to become a slightly more athletic AJ Klein. Probably not Bobby Wagner nor Luke Kuechly but nonetheless a solid, high character, smart player who could help the time for a long period of time.

Give me a linebacker with 4.7 speed and fantastic instincts over a linebacker that runs a 4.5 but has no clue where to be. It’s split second reaction time that gets you in position. Werner has all the athleticism you need and then some to be successful. Combine that with his IQ and you have a good linebacker. If you want to compare to shanle go ahead, a much much more explosive and athletic shanle who can also cover? I’ll take that all day every day

you have a ton of linebackers like CJ mosely who aren’t fast but great
People put Shanle down, but he was a solid LB for us for many years. However, you're right that Werner is much more athletic. Werner's RAS is 9.49, while Shanle scored a 6.79. Werner's 6.9 in the 3 cone and 39.5 vertical are very impressive, and couple that with an above average 4.62, good instincts and a good tackler make him promising.

You can find Werner's RAS here: https://crescentcitysports.com/sain...text=Pete Werner is a LB,LB from 1987 to 2021.

You can find Shanle's here: https://ras.football/2017/01/17/lb-relative-athletic-scores-ras-table/

Underhill had an interesting assessment. He basically stated that Werner had what it takes to become a slightly more athletic AJ Klein. Probably not Bobby Wagner nor Luke Kuechly but nonetheless a solid, high character, smart player who could help the time for a long period of time.
AJ Klein is a better example than Shanle, and "slightly more" is not quantifiable, but Werner is more athletic than both of them. In a league where the difference between players is often small, that could lead to much better outcomes. AJ was a good LB, so if Werner is better, then we have a keeper.

Since neither have played a down in a game yet there is no telling who is better, just stated an opinion. I just stated you are wrong in the fact that just because Werner got drafted before Cox does not mean he’s better, there are a lot of things that weighted the Saints decision to draft Werner. As I pointed out and I’m sure you’ve seen over the years, no draft pick pick is a sure thing and there have been many players picked higher than others who failed to be better!

Check back in 3 years or so is the only answer to this question….I’ll say this though Werner cone and shuttles were very impressive, it seems Cox never participated in those drills due to injury….so uncertainty/risk is likely why he fell…

People put Shanle down, but he was a solid LB for us for many years. However, you're right that Werner is much more athletic. Werner's RAS is 9.49, while Shanle scored a 6.79. Werner's 6.9 in the 3 cone and 39.5 vertical are very impressive, and couple that with an above average 4.62, good instincts and a good tackler make him promising.

You can find Werner's RAS here: https://crescentcitysports.com/saints-draft-ohio-state-linebacker-pete-werner-with-second-round-pick/#:~:text=Pete Werner is a LB,LB from 1987 to 2021.

You can find Shanle's here: https://ras.football/2017/01/17/lb-relative-athletic-scores-ras-table/
For me, there’s lots to like about Werners numbers!

When I watched his vids, I thought he looked lean, even “skinny”. But in fact, he’s not only pretty tall, 6’3”, but the guy has long arms, 33 in! He also put up 20 reps on the bench. But IMO, arm length is a factor ( shorter armed players have an advantage), so 20 reps is a pretty solid number for him!

But his broad, vertical, and 3 cone are very impressive! That’s usually a good sign of a strong lower body n good hips! On the field, it usually translates into havin a “burst”, n being able to quickly get up to top speed to cover a receiver coming outta his cuts. It’s also a good sign of being able to “flip the hips” to cover receivers goin downfield!

After starting 3 yrs at OSU, you already know he’s a smart, instinctive, well coached football player. But he’s also pretty athletic too! I read up about, watched his vids, n posted about Werner a few weeks ago. I liked how one of OSU coaches called him, “ Sneaky Pete”! So he’s definitely a player to keep an eye on come TC!

👍🏽

Last edited:

You can find Werner's RAS here: https://crescentcitysports.com/saints-draft-ohio-state-linebacker-pete-werner-with-second-round-pick/#:~:text=Pete Werner is a LB,LB from 1987 to 2021.

Sedrick Hodge and Martez Wilson having RAS scores above 9.9+ really proves my point. I dont see Werner as a stereotypical lunch pail guy or the freak athlete LB we've drafted so many times in the past. I see him as a guy with great instincts and good athletic ability.

Sedrick Hodge and Martez Wilson having RAS scores above 9.9+ really proves my point. I dont see Werner as a stereotypical lunch pail guy or the freak athlete LB we've drafted so many times in the past. I see him as a guy with great instincts and good athletic ability.
Agreed. IMO, he’s both a very good football player AND a very good athlete!

His 9.52 RAS score ranked 103 out of 2137 LBs from 1987 to 2021, which puts him in the top 4.8%!

I'm not always right, but when I am

...I bump the thread.

Werner to me has already exceeded Alex Anzalone in contributions as a reliable tackler. Werner is replacing Anzalone's roster spot who is starting for Detroit. A second rounder should be a fringe starter/capable of starting and Werner has done that when asked. I like that Werner opens Baun to be used more as a pass rusher. I am hoping after the buy with Kwon Alexander back Baun can focus more on blitzing rather than coverage.

What happens if his play goes severely downhill from here on out?😆
I’m hoping that won’t happen, but could we wait awhile for these bumps?
That's what I want to see more of. I want to see bumps of really bad takes in old threads. I want see draft gurus to show us the 99 players they whiffed on instead of the 1 guy they hit on.

And this isn't for this particular bumper. Just in general.

That's what I want to see more of. I want to see bumps of really bad takes in old threads. I want see draft gurus to show us the 99 players they whiffed on instead of the 1 guy they hit on.

And this isn't for this particular bumper. Just in general.
I said there was no way Mahomes would come back from a dislocated patella quickly and that the Chiefs should just shut him down for the rest of the season. If you recall, that was the Superbowl-winning season. If we're just talking about bad takes in general.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom