Popeye's Chicken Sandwich (1 Viewer)

i have had 4 popeye's chicken sandwichs this week. my arteries need a break.

still a wish away here

but Harvey's (a Canadian fast food burger joint that's really good - burgers made to order and topped how you want in front of you) has begun airing chicken sandwich commercials

the production isn't fancy, and I'm convinced that it was rushed to capitalize on the fast food chicken sandwich craze, because it's a burger joint first and these chicken sandwich commercials have come out of nowhere for them

still a wish away here

but Harvey's (a Canadian fast food burger joint that's really good - burgers made to order and topped how you want in front of you) has begun airing chicken sandwich commercials

the production isn't fancy, and I'm convinced that it was rushed to capitalize on the fast food chicken sandwich craze, because it's a burger joint first and these chicken sandwich commercials have come out of nowhere for them
brah, tey aint no popeyes.

brah, tey aint no popeyes.

they aren't, but their burgers are better

and so is their poutine

Popeye's poutine is ?

check this out:

popeyes-cajun-poutine.jpg

your move, Toilet...

It isn't perfect, but it is good. I have also only done strips not the entire chicken.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups whole buttermilk
  • 3 tablespoons hot sauce (such as Tabasco), divided
  • 1 (2 1/2- to 3-lb.) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 4 cups (about 17 oz.) all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • Peanut oil
How to Make It
Step 1
Stir together buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of the hot sauce in large bowl. Submerge chicken in buttermilk mixture; cover and refrigerate overnight.
Step 2
Whisk together eggs, water, and remaining 1 tablespoon hot sauce in a medium bowl. Stir together flour, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
Step 3
Pour oil to a depth of 2 1/2 inches in a large Dutch oven, and heat to 325°F over medium-high. Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture; discard buttermilk mixture. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, and dredge in flour mixture; shaking off excess flour. Dip in egg mixture, and dredge in flour again; shaking off excess flour.
Step 4
Carefully add chicken to hot oil, 4 pieces at a time; fry until golden brown and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes, maintaining oil temperature of 325°F. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.

If you were to make a list of 10 reasons a person might avoid Chick-fil-A, its donations to anti-LGBTQ groups would likely be numbers one through nine.

Number 10 would be the notion that a craving for a fried chicken sandwich with pickles always seems to come on a Sunday, when Chick-fil-A is closed.........

Other companies, thirsty for attention, and with their oddly personal, sassy social media voices — once distinctive, now compulsory — jumped into the fray.

Wendy’s is always a rabble-rouser. Shake Shack reminded everyone that it, too, had a fried chicken sandwich with pickles. The echo chamber of Twitter became, for a few hours, a forum for tightly honed corporate one-upsmanship.

McDonald’s, with its puck-like McChicken, wisely minded its own business..........

I get just as good a service - if not better - at Raising Cane's so I think "isn't even close" is a bit overblown. And their restaurants are always very clean, too. And I prefer their lemonade and iced tea - being able to draw from the sweet and unsweet in the ratio I want is nice.

All that, and better chicken. Not a huge fan of their crinkle fries, so I prefer CFA's waffle fries. But when it comes to the actual chicken, Cane's is an easy choice for me. And it ticks the same service boxes just as well.

But I gotta say, sometimes you just want to order chicken and get a side of eyeroll or stinkeye and an audible 'tsk' or a sigh and a disinterested, dismissive shake of the head along with it.

And Popeye's can really deliver that.

My favorite Popeye's employee move is for the cashier to holler at the fry cooks in the back and talk about me like I can't hear them.

"Hey, yo. This dude here wants an extra breast in his 8 piece. I told him it'll be an extra couple minutes and he doesn't care he says. He says to make sure that you know he wants an 8 piece with an extra breast, not an 8 piece with an extra breast to make it a 9 piece. And he's watching me enter it into the cash register so I don't charge him for a 9th piece. Can you believe that? I know how to count, man."

And even better is when the fry cook replies, but I can't make it out, except for the tone of condescension.

It's part of the experience.
Awhile back I stopped at a Popeye's somewhere around maybe Slidell on the way home to MS and ordered my usual tenders etc with Sweet Heat sauce. I got my food and sat down at the table and realized I didn't get my sauce after all. So I went back up to the counter. There was a pretty big line and I couldn't really push my way to the front, so I had to wait probably 5 more minutes or so for some sauce. No big deal, it happens everywhere.

When I got to the front, I asked the man at the counter, who appeared to be the manager, if I could get some Sweet Heat sauce for my tenders because I didn't get any. He replied with "I already gave you two!"

I said, "No sir, I actually didn't get any with my order." He says, "No, I'm sure I gave you two! If you want it, you can pay for it."

I replied "Sir, I just ordered 5 minutes ago and haven't eaten any of my food. It's still sitting on the table over there with my family, and I would like the sauce that I ordered."

"Fine, here, but if you come up here asking for any more sauce you're gonna pay for it!"

...that was just one of many awful Popeye's customer service experiences I've had.

But the chicken is too damn good.

does anyone actually like "cane's" sauce like they claim, or is it a ploy to sponsor a louisiana company based out of baton rouge? it is forking mayo and ketchup with some pepper sprinkled in. i have no idea why people go apeshirt over their sauce.

and Popeyes recipe is just flour, pepper and garlic powder, but you know, people love it. it's all in how much of this, and how much of that..

does anyone actually like "cane's" sauce like they claim, or is it a ploy to sponsor a louisiana company based out of baton rouge? it is forking mayo and ketchup with some pepper sprinkled in. i have no idea why people go apeshirt over their sauce.

For me, as sauces go, it's just ok. I'd rather honey mustard with chicken than their sauce.

But, chicken that is properly spicy really doesn't need anything else imo.

Ive heard this over the years, but do we accept as fact that Cane’s sauce is just mayo & catsup? Because i cant freaking stand mayo or catsup but i like Cane’s sauce (though i dont ‘go ape****’ over it).. either i have screwed-up taste buds (possible), or there are a few other ingredients in Cane’s sauce, and maybe not mayo or catsup (ketchup?) at all.

Found one in Kenosha WI. Line was insane. Manager was a tool. He told me "you're gonna have to wait." I said how long? He responded with, and I quote, "as long as it takes. We have lines around the block." I just wanted an estimate on time lol. I will eat it when I get back to work...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom