Preseason QB Battle (1 Viewer)

Who will the QB battle?

• Jameis Winston

• Tommy Stevens

Results are only viewable after voting.
I agree. Some just don't want to admit that Taysom made more plays in preseason looked better than Teddy. I understand that he wasn't a 1st rounder, or never been to a pro-bowl, hell...he has yet to start a game. The only thing that Teddy has over Taysom at this point is experience.
I partially agree with you that Taysom may have won the preseason based on stats, but I believe Taysom mostly played against scrubs, while Teddy played the 1st half of every game. Teddy has more than just experience over Taysom. Teddy has proven to be a very good QB over an extended period. There are many QBs with experience that haven't proven to be good QBs. Taysom has done well in his limited action, but almost every play is a running play. He hasn't proven that he is a complete QB, even though he has made some plays with his arm. I do believe that Taysom may be a very good QB, but Teddy has proven to be very good complete QB. Taysom is an awesome weapon, but I don't think Taysom can be a starting QB playing his style, although I think he has potential to develop into a complete QB.

Regarding Winston, I believe Teddy has been a better QB than Winston in the NFL. With that said, I think Winston will become a much better QB with Payton and Brees' tutelage, but it is hard to know how long it will take Winston to internalize the lessons.

Stevens shouldn't even be in this conversation. Stevens wasn't as good as Taysom in college, so he probably won't be as good as Taysom in the pros, so no way he will be better than Winston. Both will come in having to learn the complicated offense, but Winston was a far better college QB than either Taysom or Stevens. Winston has always thrown too many picks, but that's his only problem. Aside from that, he can be great. Stevens has a long way to go to develop into close to the QB that Winston is today. I think you should've asked whether Taysom or Winston will win the preseason, because I think it could be a draw between them, despite Taysom knowing the offense. Taysom may edge out Winston, but it will be close. By the following year, I think Winston will probably beat Taysom, but I'm pulling for another draw, because that will mean we may have 2 starting QBs.

I partially agree with you that Taysom may have won the preseason based on stats, but I believe Taysom mostly played against scrubs, while Teddy played the 1st half of every game. Teddy has more than just experience over Taysom. Teddy has proven to be a very good QB over an extended period. There are many QBs with experience that haven't proven to be good QBs. Taysom has done well in his limited action, but almost every play is a running play. He hasn't proven that he is a complete QB, even though he has made some plays with his arm. I do believe that Taysom may be a very good QB, but Teddy has proven to be very good complete QB. Taysom is an awesome weapon, but I don't think Taysom can be a starting QB playing his style, although I think he has potential to develop into a complete QB.

Regarding Winston, I believe Teddy has been a better QB than Winston in the NFL. With that said, I think Winston will become a much better QB with Payton and Brees' tutelage, but it is hard to know how long it will take Winston to internalize the lessons.

Stevens shouldn't even be in this conversation. Stevens wasn't as good as Taysom in college, so he probably won't be as good as Taysom in the pros, so no way he will be better than Winston. Both will come in having to learn the complicated offense, but Winston was a far better college QB than either Taysom or Stevens. Winston has always thrown too many picks, but that's his only problem. Aside from that, he can be great. Stevens has a long way to go to develop into close to the QB that Winston is today. I think you should've asked whether Taysom or Winston will win the preseason, because I think it could be a draw between them, despite Taysom knowing the offense. Taysom may edge out Winston, but it will be close. By the following year, I think Winston will probably beat Taysom, but I'm pulling for another draw, because that will mean we may have 2 starting QBs.
The thread initially was going to be Taysom vs Jameis, but I figured that it wouldn't be fair because Taysom has been here 3 years. Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Taysom start a preseason game or two?

The flaw in the Preseason battle threads was that I didn't layout how the QBs will be judged. Last year with Teddy vs Taysom, I went purely on "eye test", which included how well they were efficient moving the ball, and turnovers committed.

I'm pulling for Stevens from an underdog perspective, but since it will be he and Jameis' first year, it's not a bad idea to see how they do.

If Stevens by some stroke of luck even makes the team it will be on special teams and not at QB.

If all of the recent hype (diet, eye surgery, practice routine) about Winston is true and those things make a positive difference, Payton may truly have a preseason battle at the QB position. On one the radio podcasts, it was also noted Winston has a torn meniscus (sp) and bunged up thumb during the last four games of 2019. If this kid comes back healthy, leaner, and with more acute vision, he may be special. He will also be coming in with a chip on his shoulder. Do any of the folks out there with contract knowledge know what would happen in the event of a cancelled season. Winston is under a one year contract. If the NFL doesn’t play does that matter or is the contract just moved forward a year? I would like to lock Winston up for at least two years. I think he has star potential and he is young. I love Taysom, but to me he has more Jake Delhomme ceiling than Steve Young ceiling. No put down on Jake, he was better than average and took his team to the Super Bowl. I Just think Winston could be elite given a few critical changes and he certainly seems willing to do whatever it takes.

Tommy Stevens factoring into the QB discussion at all would be the next best thing to a miracle. I fully expect him to get a "sports hernia" and get put on IR.

but since it will be he and Jameis' first year, it's not a bad idea to see how they do.
Problem is that you are confounding first year with the Saints and first year in the NFL. Winston has 72 starts in the NFL. Stevens has 0.

Great way to jump start the board with football again. But really this is no contest.

SFIAH

I'm really looking forward to it. The Clown Prince of the NFL, Jameis, led the League in passing offense last year. Going to a team where he knows he'll have to keep his head down. To a Coach who'll play to him.

I don't like his chances because his problems seem to be in decison-making, and that's a tough thing to coach, but I'm rooting for him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom