Reacher: Amazon's Jack Reacher series (2 Viewers)

The character bothers me. I watched the first season and episode 1 of this season, and I like the show, he's just so much of a Mary Sue (or whatever the male version is called-Freddie Mac?) I never feel like anything's a threat to him. Kind of in the way that Superman gets boring.
It's kinda the point of the character, though. He's this lumbering force of nature with a very black and white view of the world. He's intentionally written as a Gary Stu; but funnily enough, he's not as blatantly overpowered and covered in plot armor as Rey from the sequel trilogy.

It's kinda the point of the character, though. He's this lumbering force of nature with a very black and white view of the world. He's intentionally written as a Gary Stu; but funnily enough, he's not as blatantly overpowered and covered in plot armor as Rey from the sequel trilogy.
I sort of beg to differ. He’s unstoppable to the point of having magic power in a “realistic” universe. Rey is just a particularly quick learning wizard in a universe that has wizards.

Plus he bleeds/gets hurt. Reacher isn't superhuman... I would love to see the team work together again in the future, I loved their chemistry (granted, I haven't read a single book, so I have no idea about how the source material progresses)...

I sort of beg to differ. He’s unstoppable to the point of having magic power in a “realistic” universe. Rey is just a particularly quick learning wizard in a universe that has wizards.
Yeah, while I LOVE the Reacher show and think they nail the pulpy fun tone they are aiming for (and Alan Richston is fantastic), I don’t think you can accuse Rey of being a Mary Sue but then excuse Reacher.

The Reacher character is basically like if Drew Brees was also Sherlock Holmes, Captain America, and Thor.

Plus he bleeds/gets hurt. Reacher isn't superhuman... I would love to see the team work together again in the future, I loved their chemistry (granted, I haven't read a single book, so I have no idea about how the source material progresses)...
I would say that he bleeds/gets hurt in the most benign ways though. Even if shot/stabbed, it was probably by a cheap shot, and he will still pull off near-inhuman feats of strength.

He’s never been in any real threat of failing. People are also constantly fawning over him and talking about how supremely smart and noble he is.

I think the tone of the show makes it fun and makes it work. It’s a terrific show…but he is pretty superhuman.

Watched the last episode of the 2nd season. I was a bit disappointed of how it ended; too much talking, the helicopter scene, too much Superman.. but overall, I enjoyed both seasons, although IMO the first one was much better than the 2nd.

Enjoyed the second season a lot. The helicopter scene was a little Hollywood stunt movie unrealistic, though, especially with her almost falling.
There was a great deal of having to suspend one's disbelief in that scene, not just with what Reacher was doing but also how she got out of it, especially considering she'd been stabbed on one arm. The idea that she unlatched herself, didn't fall, crawled up the gurney with an injured arm, then pulled herself up onto the helicopter floor with said injured arm was more than a bit ridiculous. Reacher holding the gurney that long was also not believable, but even worse was having him hold on to the copter just hanging by his arms for minutes before pulling himself up and boarding was also ridiculous. A person's lats can only go so far before the muscle spasms and gives out. The whole bit was way too action movie unrealistic. I hope that's not going to be a trend for this show because that was the lone black eye on the season to me.
Other than that, I enjoyed it. The characters were well written and acted; lots of chemistry between the group. I hated losing Russo; really liked his character - heck, I know people in New Jersey/New York who are just like him so he was very real and relatable to me.
Glad to hear they've already started on another season, wonder which book they'll use.

Reacher would defeat the Punisher in combat, but a drunken Dave Robicheaux would defeat Reacher.

This season was okay but I didn’t enjoy it as much as season 1. Mainly because the supporting characters weren’t that interesting this season.

On a side note, I’m curious what other actors from Breakout Kings we can get for season 3. So far we’ve already had Malcolm Goodwin, Serinda Swan, and Domenick Lombardozzi. Maybe Jimmi Simpson can show up next year.

Great series while staying somewhat true to the books. No clue what book will be done next, but like the first season, I hope Neagley is in it even if she wasn't originally in the Killing Floor.

After much speculation and sleuthing, it's finally official. Season 3 of "Reacher" will be based on the 7th book in the series, titled "Persuader."

"Jack Reacher lives for the moment. Without a home. Without commitment. And with a burning desire to right wrongs - and rewrite his own agonizing past. DEA Susan Duffy is living for the future, knowing that she has made a terrible mistake by putting one of her own female agents into a death trap within a heavily guarded Maine mansion.

Staging a brilliant ruse, Reacher hurtles into the dark heart of a vast criminal enterprise. Trying to rescue an agent whose time is running out, Reacher enters a crime lord’s waterfront fortress. There he will find a world of secrecy and violence - and confront some unfinished business from his own past."

Yesterday, the Jack Reacher page on Facebook posted the following image, with the caption "Details matter season 3 of #Reacher. Especially at crafty"
1706121442285.png

It didn't take long for fans to realize that there was only one book that was set in Maine...and today, Ritchison revealed in a short clip that the fans were right, and that "Persuader" was, in fact, the book the next season would be based on.

I’m unfamiliar with the books, but it sounds like the one S3 will be based on is another solo story.

I wonder if it would have been better to have S2 be another story of Reacher on his own in a new place (and meeting some new allies), and save the Special Investigators reunion for S3.

The team-up dynamic might have been better served as a switch up/refresher if used a little later in the series.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom