Report: Saints aren’t paying their fair share of payments for Superdome renovations (Update: Saints paid up!) (1 Viewer)

I don't know many people who go to the city anymore. I won't drive to new orleans for any purpose, really.

All it takes is for your windows to be shattered (happened about 18mos ago) or a gun to be pulled on you (about 2 years ago)
It’s still a major tourist destination and the most known city in Louisiana.

"Later, both sides acknowledged that real beef stemmed from ongoing negotiations over a new long-term lease that would keep the team in the Dome until at least 2035. In a statement posted to the Saints' website Friday, Lauscha said the state was trying to potentially reduce some of team’s "concessions and rights," which allows it to make money off the sale of food and drinks, suites and seats.

"But the commission and Guidry, on behalf of Landry, said the team's obligation to pay its share of the renovations -- a deal it agreed to several years ago -- was unrelated and should not be used as a bargaining chip. We cannot have a gun to our head saying ‘we are not going to fund our portion of the renovation unless you give us the 10-year lease that we want,’” said Guidry, who served as Landry's transition team leader. 'If it was all one contract tied together, fine. It’s not.'

" .... The latest clash comes three months into the tenure of a new commission appointed by a new governor. Landry replaced six of the seven members with his own political appointees when he took office in January. The commissioners didn’t meet for the first time until late February."

Well, considering this is a new adminstration coming in in the middle of this, I'm not sure I would assume, as Guidry seems to be intimating, that it's only the Saints side that is using this agreement as some sort of bargaining chip.

Not a fan of Nola’s choice to use the term “fork over” in reference to the payment.

“Fork over” implies reluctance - as in a disputed penalty or fine.

I get that the Saints were “reluctant” to pay without certain documentation. But in a world that doesn’t read articles and only headlines -
It can paint a negative public perception of the Saints - and most of these things are played out in the court of public opinion.
Agree. And in the body of the article, they use the more benign phrase "turned over".

I don't know many people who go to the city anymore. I won't drive to new orleans for any purpose, really.

All it takes is for your windows to be shattered (happened about 18mos ago) or a gun to be pulled on you (about 2 years ago)

There's still plenty of people going, I assure you.

..... Pennsylvania outside the two big cities has lots of disharmony with the big two ...
As a yankee born and raised in the "flyover" portion of PA, I detest PITTS-burg and Filth-adelphia

Unfortunately it’s pretty common, and I for the life of me can’t trace out why.

The rest of Georgia resents Atlanta, NY state has unease about NY city, Pennsylvania outside the two big cities has lots of disharmony with the big two, Oregonians hate Portland, and so forth. I guess the feeling is “this one place has too much influence”
It’s mainly because of political and cultural factors unfortunately. I grew up in Louisiana and have visited NY state multiple times and noticed that both states have the same level of disdain for their largest cities.

Unfortunately it’s pretty common, and I for the life of me can’t trace out why.

The rest of Georgia resents Atlanta, NY state has unease about NY city, Pennsylvania outside the two big cities has lots of disharmony with the big two, Oregonians hate Portland, and so forth. I guess the feeling is “this one place has too much influence”
when i lived in NYC i met people who lived in Queens who'd never been to Manhattan - amazed me
but the answer seems to be good old-fashioned parochialism - big(ger) cities are full of different people, cultures, et al
we've seen it's abundantly easy to get people to fear 'others' and cultural/social differences are pretty easy to exploit

one of my favorite anecdotes to relate - i teach on the Northshore and i will occasionally have a student tell me what life is like in New Orleans (and obviously it's usually something they've picked up from their parents), when i tell them i've lived in NO off an on for 35+ years and had never seen anything like they describe, it has the exact reaction that you just imagined

Every state with a major city has the same fault lines between the city and rural areas. Louisiana is not unique. Major cities drive state economies. For many reasons, New Orleans does not drive Louisiana's economy as much as it should--but one reason (and there are others) is that the city has experienced state hostility for a much longer period than other cities, say, in the South whose ascendancy is much more recent. Those who know the history of Huey Long can address this issue much better than I can.

The big problem I have is a governor treating a major economic entity like a professional sports franchise as a political football, being critical of the organization or even personally attacking its owner to score political points. I am not saying Landry personally attacked Gayle Benson. But Tom Benson was not well liked in the state before Katrina, and Kathleen Blanco made some personal comments about Benson that at the time were well received politically but never should have been made and almost cost the state the franchise. Again, I firmly believe (and this is one of the few times when my opinion is based at least in part on inside information) that but for Katrina, Benson would have moved to San Antonio.

Let's hope that cooler heads on the state prevail. Whatever the demands or aspirations of the Saints and Pelicans, I do believe they are conscious of the optics of what they do and say. This latest incident should never have happened.

It’s still a major tourist destination and the most known city in Louisiana.
i am not talking about tourists. i am talking about locals from metairie etc. the people who go in the summer when tourism is dead.

I had my window shattered (nothing stolen) and was shot at (poor shooter, missed me 3x) in the same night. It could happen anywhere

Cities have never been made better by the "need to flee" mindset

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom