Rumor- "samuel Said To Be A "done Deal"" (1 Viewer)

I won't be mad or upset if we do get him. I think we'll regret it and I think his play will never begin to match his salary. A few years down the road his contract will haunt us, but whatever. I'll root for him anyway.

This is exactly how I feel. Hopefully he can come in and make some big plays. But if they just get him and only sign a LB like Simmons or DT like Clancy then the Defense is still going to be bad with one really expensive player (example - Niners and Clements). I'm not to worried about down the road with his contract. It'll be heavily backloaded and easy to dump a several years into it. I'll be cheering for him like crazy to earn that money.......

Thanks for sharing. Gil Brandt is a VERY respected figure in the NFL. These comments regarding Samuel have more credibility than the various reports that are circulating.

Initially, I felt that Samuel would want too much money for his value; however, more and more I am pleased that the Saints are being aggressive to shore up obvious deficiencies. If we overspend for Samuel, so be it.

No problem!

I got the impression from Brandt's comments that the Saints would waste no time in signing him......(fingers crossed!)

Well said...

I'm tired of seeing that chart posted. It should have also included that the 49er's offense was dead last in the league last year. No way any body on that defense was putting up good stats last year with the amount of time they were on the field.

Last edited:
Just to add to what longtime lurker reported about what Gil Brandt said, Gil also said that we really want to upgrade the MLB position. Not earth-shattering news since we targeted Thomas and Morgan, but I felt like ya'll would like to know he said that too. Especially since Brandt heard it straight from Gibbs and Vitt.

Thanks BoroSaint for adding that!

I won't be mad or upset if we do get him. I think we'll regret it and I think his play will never begin to match his salary. A few years down the road his contract will haunt us, but whatever. I'll root for him anyway.

Thats my view....as good as he is, he will never live up to that kinda money, the kinda money he is asking for, he should lock down his side of the field and nobody should score on him....but he's a corner, the last line of defense (besides a safety) if the front 7 dont get to them first, Samuel and his wallet wont stand a chance....but like you said, i'll root for him anyway....if we have a chance to get him and we can still resign our guys (Colston, Evans and Smith) then i'm all for it.......I guess.......

This is exactly how I feel. Hopefully he can come in and make some big plays. But if they just get him and only sign a LB like Simmons or DT like Clancy then the Defense is still going to be bad with one really expensive player (example - Niners and Clements). I'm not to worried about down the road with his contract. It'll be heavily backloaded and easy to dump a several years into it. I'll be cheering for him like crazy to earn that money.......

But that's it, man. Bring in a big time playmaker and then some othe solid players. Samuel won't break our bank....and who else is there anyways?

We're really high up in the draft order so if we draft properly, we're looking at maybe two playmakers, two starters, and depth.

So basically, if we draft right, bringing in Samuel and some solid guys should do it. Our offense is a little bit better than the niners anyways.....a little, right?

EDIT: I just really needed to add how much I hate the 'front 7 first' argument. If this were a normal FA I would totally agree. I'd go with a DT (pass rushing) and then a MLB and only then would I look at CB.

But what DTs and MLBs are out there? Any?

Playmaking top 5 at their position MLBs in FA: ........

Playmaking top 5 at their position DTs in FA: .........

Playmaking top 5 at their position CBs in FA: Asante Samuel.

He's it. There's no one else. Its 'get him, or get no playmakers at all.' You don't skip on your third need because the first two can't be filled.

We could trade for someone else or draft someone else but as far as FA is concerned, its Asante Samuel(-s) or nothing.

Last edited:
All the talk about us being in danger of tampering? I quote myself from this thread earlier:

After the earlier discussion about tampering and dealing before FA starts, I thought this article was timely :)

If everyone's doing it, free-agent tampering is OK

One of the biggest half-truths about the NFL scouting combine is that it's all about the upcoming draft. Sure, there are 300-plus prospects and even more coaches and scouts in town. What happens in the workouts will be a factor in the April draft, but it won't do nearly as much in shaping the immediate rosters of teams as what's happening just outside the walls of the RCA Dome.

That's where front offices and teams have started the process of free agency, even though that process doesn't officially start until Friday morning. With lots of winks and nods, visits are being scheduled and some negotiations have begun.

Sure, it all violates the NFL's rules against tampering. But nobody cares.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=yasinskas_pat&id=3263750

But that's it, man. Bring in a big time playmaker and then some othe solid players. Samuel won't break our bank....and who else is there anyways?

We're really high up in the draft order so if we draft properly, we're looking at maybe two playmakers, two starters, and depth.

So basically, if we draft right, bringing in Samuel and some solid guys should do it. Our offense is a little bit better than the niners anyways.....a little, right?

EDIT: I just really needed to add how much I hate the 'front 7 first' argument. If this were a normal FA I would totally agree. I'd go with a DT (pass rushing) and then a MLB and only then would I look at CB.

But what DTs and MLBs are out there? Any?

Playmaking top 5 at their position MLBs in FA: ........

Playmaking top 5 at their position DTs in FA: .........

Playmaking top 5 at their position CBs in FA: Asante Samuel.

He's it. There's no one else. Its 'get him, or get no playmakers at all.' You don't skip on your third need because the first two can't be filled.

We could trade for someone else or draft someone else but as far as FA is concerned, its Asante Samuel(-s) or nothing.

Very good point. I attempted to say something similar earlier in the thread but I prefer how you broke it down. Agreed.

I think the deal is done. I can hear the way they talk about samuel and the saints, on sirius they almost won't discuss him going anywhere else anymore, they saw many agents meeting with GMs , at the combine, and putting two and two together with what they hear, I think there is fire with this smoke.

I think the deal is done. I can hear the way they talk about samuel and the saints, on sirius they almost won't discuss him going anywhere else anymore, they saw many agents meeting with GMs , at the combine, and putting two and two together with what they hear, I think there is fire with this smoke.

What else are they saying about Samuel/Saints junkie?

i just don't see too many other options for us unless we trade for someone. we all know that CB is by far our biggest need. Moreover, MM might not be ready to start the season. That leaves us even more desperate. I'm not confident that we could draft a CB that could make an immediate impact. That means we have to take one of these FA because we need someone NOW. And out of those FAs, the only one really worth a salt is samuel. Our options were very limited when the other 2 big CBs were tagged.

I just don't see too many other options for us other than overpaying for someone. our backs are against the wall, and if we don't really try to solve this glaring need, i know we will regret it, like we have for the last practically 8 seasons (nightmares of Moss torching us in the playoffs come to mind)

We need 2 CB's with MM probably out this year, so just drafting 1 isn't sufficient, we HAVE to have Samuel.

I don't understand lot of people here....no matter what happen, we won't have a contender D next year and we probably won't go to the superbowl either! Defense isn't like offense where a couple of impact player can change everything. Our defense is so bad that it will take at least 2 year to make it work. If Samuel comes I'm sure he will get burn on many occasion next year because overall, our defense isn't good enough. However, if we draft smart this year and next (+ one or two lucky gamble in FA) then Samuel will be able to do what he does best. I think we need 6 starters to really change the face of this defense, it won't happen in one year!

I don't understand lot of people here....no matter what happen, we won't have a contender D next year and we probably won't go to the superbowl either! Defense isn't like offense where a couple of impact player can change everything. Our defense is so bad that it will take at least 2 year to make it work. If Samuel comes I'm sure he will get burn on many occasion next year because overall, our defense isn't good enough. However, if we draft smart this year and next (+ one or two lucky gamble in FA) then Samuel will be able to do what he does best. I think we need 6 starters to really change the face of this defense, it won't happen in one year!

Wow. We're not yet to the draft and already we're out of Super Bowl contention? :dunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom