Saints and Carr deal released $150M over 4 years $100M fully guaranteed (1 Viewer)

I have no doubt Carr will be our QB next year. After that probably not unless he has a break out year next year.

Take the cap hit and just send him home. Seriously, they're better off with him not even in the building. That's what the Raiders did

Take the cap hit and just send him home. Seriously, they're better off with him not even in the building. That's what the Raiders did
Eh, 2 different situations. We can't send him home. It would destroy the cap. It's bad enough as it is. Don't need to compound it. It would cost less to keep him, even if just riding the bench, than it would to cut him. He's pretty much stuck with us at least one more season.

Draft a qb, get a new coaching staff, have Carr as a bridge or backup and the following year Carr would be gone and we go all in on the rookie qb. It's risky, but I'd rather take a swing at it and miss than not take a swing at all.

I can tell you're in over your head trying understand the business side of football and cap management, but at least try. The Raiders have $5.6 mil is dead money from Carr this season. The Saints would have $53 million in dead money in 2024.

I can tell you're in over your head trying understand the business side of football and cap management, but at least try. The Raiders have $5.6 mil is dead money from Carr this season. The Saints would have $53 million in dead money in 2024.
Yep, comparing apples and peanuts.

I don't expect Loomis to move off of his sentiment from earlier in the year, when he considered Carr a building block for the future, being that he's in his infancy at the QB position due to his age. They may have have the ability to move on in a few years, but until then they are going to do everything the can to give Carr a chance to succeed.

I don't expect Loomis to move off of his sentiment from earlier in the year, when he considered Carr a building block for the future, being that he's in his infancy at the QB position due to his age. They may have have the ability to move on in a few years, but until then they are going to do everything the can to give Carr a chance to succeed.
That's the correct approach considering where things are right now. I can't really fault Loomis for trying to stay positive until the season is over. Cynical fans are cynical. It is what it is.

Now, once the season is over, I fully expect heads to roll. If that doesn't happen then Loomis would have to go.

That's the correct approach considering where things are right now. I can't really fault Loomis for trying to stay positive until the season is over. Cynical fans are cynical. It is what it is.

Now, once the season is over, I fully expect heads to roll. If that doesn't happen then Loomis would have to go.
I'm not really in the # to fire Allen. The way he handles Carr gives me the impression he's a maternal influence. If they can add a paternal influence at OC that will hold Carr accountable in ways DA can't it will easily balance things out. Or you could tear it all down, but I don't think you really can do that immediately based on the contracts you've doled out.

I'm not really in the # to fire Allen. The way he handles Carr gives me the impression he's a maternal influence. If they can add a paternal influence at OC that will hold Carr accountable in ways DA can't it will easily balance things out. Or you could tear it all down, but I don't think you really can do that immediately based on the contracts you've doled out.
You might be right. But that's precisely the thing that drives me batty about Allen. He's not really an assertive or aggressive leader. I'd much rather a coach like Payton who holds everyone to account and has high expectations and cares about the small stuff. Allen isn't that kind of coach. I don't think we'll get far with him.

I get the money issue, but sometimes owners have to bite the bullet and recognize when it's time to cut bait with a coach.

You might be right. But that's precisely the thing that drives me batty about Allen. He's not really an assertive or aggressive leader. I'd much rather a coach like Payton who holds everyone to account and has high expectations and cares about the small stuff. Allen isn't that kind of coach. I don't think we'll get far with him.

I get the money issue, but sometimes owners have to bite the bullet and recognize when it's time to cut bait with a coach.

Well, it depends on what's necessary. Him not being that type of coach didn't stop him from building a top 10 defense the last 3-4 years. I think Allen's biggest problem was getting married to the wrong OC in Pete who is exactly the same type of influence and that's where the issue lies. If he can find someone to control the offensive side of the ball so he can only focus on defense the team will be fine.

With regards to them biting the bullet, I do think next year we should take our financial medicine ie, we shouldn't extend any contracts or try to make a splash FA or try to trade up in the draft. We should eat those contracts and not trade any future picks so if we have to move on in year 4 a new coach has far more flexibility.

Well, it depends on what's necessary. Him not being that type of coach didn't stop him from building a top 10 defense the last 3-4 years. I think Allen's biggest problem was getting married to the wrong OC in Pete who is exactly the same type of influence and that's where the issue lies. If he can find someone to control the offensive side of the ball so he can only focus on defense the team will be fine.

With regards to them biting the bullet, I do think next year we should take our financial medicine ie, we shouldn't extend any contracts or try to make a splash FA or try to trade up in the draft. We should eat those contracts and not trade any future picks so if we have to move on in year 4 a new coach has far more flexibility.
Makes sense. I will say though that the reason Allen was successful running the defense was because he could focus on that and Payton could hold him accountable. Allen's track record, deserved or not, it really terrible as a HC. He's a good DC. That's all I got.

I don't think the fans have the patience to deal with another season with Allen at the helm. I suspect the fans will vote with their feet.

Makes sense. I will say though that the reason Allen was successful running the defense was because he could focus on that and Payton could hold him accountable. Allen's track record, deserved or not, it really terrible as a HC. He's a good DC. That's all I got.

I don't think the fans have the patience to deal with another season with Allen at the helm. I suspect the fans will vote with their feet.
It's Allens job to make the decision as hard as possible. A 3-4 game winning streak to end the season along with a playoff birth and competitive outing even if we lose should be enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom