Saints select TE Adam Trautman in the 3rd (1 Viewer)

I think they like Tre'Quan and they're really high on Deonte, would be nice to see what Deonte can do more plugged into the offense. Plus don't we still have Lil' Humphrey and Emmanuel Butler on PS.
No offense, but let’s not count Humphrey or Butler. It’s a long shot that they actually contribute or even make the active roster.

Look at the highlights of him running up the seam. That’s what we have been missing and what Cook was supposed to do. Only problem is defenses didn’t fear him because he just doesn’t have that deceptive speed and really isn’t as versatile as we thought. When this kid lines up in the seam, he might be actually blocking and it won’t be a tell. Really like this pick. Especially after seeing last year what a versatile tight end can do for you. Seems to be an underrated position year after year but really a solid TE can make a decent QB look great. Look at the Niners. If Kittle was on our team last year, there is a good chance we would champs right now.

I had him 64th overall and the Saints got him at pick 105 so I agree with the value. I will admit I was higher on Harrison Bryant as a true TE and Albert O as a mismatch offensive weapon, but Trautman definitely has some intriguing traits.

I didn’t do a write up on Trautman like I did some of the others. I wish I had. I do have some notes typed in my phone. If you want him to be Kittle or Kelce, you’re looking at the wrong guy IMO. I don’t think he has the straight line speed or body control that those two guys have as playmakers down the field. I think there’s some cap to his ceiling for sure, and I also don’t think he’s an immediate plug-in contributor like Ruiz & Baun. BUT it’s draft night so I’ll keep on the positives and there’s one big one that I’ll mention.

Look at the 3-cone time.. He had the second best among players at the combine. All players. 190 pound WRs, 170 pound corners, and a 255 pound TE was second at the combine in short area burst. While the drill marginally matters for every position, it holds a touch more water when you’re looking at a West Coast offense’s pass catchers.

Brees has been able to maintain elite play because of his ability to anticipate in and out breaking routes on time and throw balls with unmatched accuracy. Take a 255 pound target that has short area quickness and breaks like Trautman and get him in sync and you’re talking about a safety valve worth his weight in gold. I could see some 4-wide sets with Trautman running the Y and trying to get him the ball on 3rd and short to intermediate.

No offense, but let’s not count Humphrey or Butler. It’s a long shot that they actually contribute or even make the active roster.

This is how it breaks down now then as far as receivers.
MT, Kamara, E. Sanders, Cook, Tre'Quan, Adam, Murray, Deonte, Taysom.
Four WRs, Two TEs, Two RBs, One Swiss Army Knife that plays all thoses positions including QB.
Not Bad At All. Actually Pretty Awesome.

Looking at just last year, Harris. He not only made the team, but he was also a pro bowler. Carl Granderson, Shy Tuttle, Lil'Jordan Humphry all had regular season snaps. Ethan Greenidge was on 53 man entire year. Devine Ozigbo was plucked off the practice squad. Chase Hanson kept him on IR.

Watching the replay and we about to trade up for Baun in two picks.

They at pick 72 and Mel had Baun #1 and Trautman at #5 as his best players available. I know it’s just Mel, but the draft is this dude’s life

I can’t believe some of the tight ends that went off the board before this guy. I think Belichick would be better off letting the dog make his picks

The last tight end we took in the 3rd round ended up being pretty damn awesome.

I was kind of hoping for Albert O in the 3rd, but I didn’t think we would have a shot at this guy when I was doing my mocks.

I don’t see how anyone could see receiver being a bigger need than corner. I think we could get by if we lost Thomas or Sanders for a few games. We could sign Ginn off the street if that happened as well unless someone signs him, but this draft is so deep why would you not just draft someone than pick up old Ginn. I’m not so sure if we could get by with PJ Williams starting a few games. Plus Janoris Jenkins will be 32 in October and we have no idea how he will look for a whole season. If he was really good last year I think the Giants don’t cut him. If we can’t get back in the draft by trading Warford, we may have to try to get Apple back on a one year deal. We also need a backup QB. That’s by far our two biggest needs IMO.

Last edited:
Remaining team needs? A guy to compete with hardee to be our emergency #6cb... a guy to compete with hogan to be our dummy route running downfield blocking receiver... and a pseudo-backup QB

Dang.. I guess they didn't want to play draft no more. They should have at least addressed WR with one of those picks.. Meh I'm glad with C. Ruiz & Z. BAUN picks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom