Saints sign Chase Young to 1-year deal up to 13M (2.7M base, 1.86M signing, 450K workout, 7.99M total gameday roster bonus) (2 Viewers)

If Bowers is there he’s the pick. If not I think you’re right and we go offensive tackle, You could take someone like Fuaga or Fautanu and plug him in at LG this year and have him take over for Ram at RT next year.

Curious...what's your plan at LT?

Yes it does lol. Coming from FCS then getting hurt and benched in his first two years, the writing is on the wall. Look to Trey Lance as a case study.
Do you have positive proof of this? Because I haven't read or heard anything about getting rid of Penning by the Saints. Until they say they are pulling the plug on Penning everything else is just noise.

Low energy. Saints paid guaranteed 13 million for max 5 sacks and 60 tackles

Max five sacks?

That's like saying Dennis Allen could never coach a team that won 7 games in a season.

Last year, Young was riding the bench after a mid-season trade for over half the year and got 7.5 sacks, not counting a great Super Bowl appearance.

He got five sacks in first seven games last year.

The insane amount of negativity over what everyone agrees is a potentially risky signing doesn't make sense to me.

The guy has All Pro talent, occasionally plays like a second stringer, sometimes appears to have the effort of a training camp body, and has a history of injuries.

He could be anything from a total bust to the best player on defense.

We don't know, but we do know "max five sacks" is not his ceiling.

He averages 4.1 per year. And 6.5 per 17 games played so if he plays the whole year… besides the only thing that really matters is his production is better than what we have. It’s called an improvement.
My bad, 4.1. That makes it much better.

And that was proven to be a terrible contract at bad value, but we knew that on day one not in hindsight unlike Minnesota.

Young appeal as a 24 year old Edge is upside not just in production. His best years are at 26-29 years old. So, he's an expensive bandaid that either bottom out with injuries again or go to better pasture in a year.

It's okay to not be happy with a contract, because it doesn't help us build anything long term. I really like the player, but his best years won't be with us if he's as good as he supposed to be
Why not though? While he'd be a free agent next season, let's say halfway through the season, he's doing a great job, the Saints can try to work in a longer term deal before he becomes a FA. It's not a foregone conclusion that he'd leave. And the team in all likelihood will be in better position to do a longer term deal with him next season if they want to go that direction.

I think this is their big swing of this FA period. They'll be fine imo. He does well and they get first crack at negotiating a long term deal, if he flames out, then the team moves on without losing anything. The money is going somewhere. Might as well spend it on someone with a high ceiling.

It's an overpay but it solves a glaring need for more pass rush. I said he comps to Davenport for production/health but better pass rush at the expense of run def. I didn't want to be the team that offered him 13M. OTC puts his value at 13.9M.

Cam's new 2yr/26M contract looked worse each game last year. Young should be on the field for 55% of the snaps with Cam covering 45%. Granderson will be 75-80% with Kpass filling the rest. Turner and Foskey are now the 5th and 6th DE. It will be interesting to see who is active of the two.

This frees us to draft OT or BPA. I still think Latu/Verse would be great picks. Kpass, Young, and Turner are gone after 2024 and Cam may retire.

Maybe we can "moneyball" DEs with 3 making 13M/yr and get good production. I'm not sure the "3Cs" are enough to get it done. Teams usually need at least one elite guy on a DL and I don't see one.

It's an overpay but it solves a glaring need for more pass rush. I said he comps to Davenport for production/health but better pass rush at the expense of run def. I didn't want to be the team that offered him 13M. OTC puts his value at 13.9M.

Cam's new 2yr/26M contract looked worse each game last year. Young should be on the field for 55% of the snaps with Cam covering 45%. Granderson will be 75-80% with Kpass filling the rest. Turner and Foskey are now the 5th and 6th DE. It will be interesting to see who is active of the two.

This frees us to draft OT or BPA. I still think Latu/Verse would be great picks. Kpass, Young, and Turner are gone after 2024 and Cam may retire.

Maybe we can "moneyball" DEs with 3 making 13M/yr and get good production. I'm not sure the "3Cs" are enough to get it done. Teams usually need at least one elite guy on a DL and I don't see one.
I somewhat agree. I do think they're hoping that something clicks with Young and that he could become that elite guy. I want to like him, but his career so far has been pretty meh other than some nice flashes in his rookie season. The potential is there. Maybe with Cam and DD and others, they can help him get there.

49ers could’ve kept him for basically the same money that they paid to Floyd… but they chose Floyd, and let Young walk.
🤔

Would you rather play (for the same money) for a team that just went to the Superbowl and likely will be in the mix to do so again next year?…

Or..

…a laughing stock that just choked away the easiest schedule ever and has the worst head coach in the entire league???

Max five sacks?

That's like saying Dennis Allen could never coach a team that won 7 games in a season.

Last year, Young was riding the bench after a mid-season trade for over half the year and got 7.5 sacks, not counting a great Super Bowl appearance.

He got five sacks in first seven games last year.

The insane amount of negativity over what everyone agrees is a potentially risky signing doesn't make sense to me.

The guy has All Pro talent, occasionally plays like a second stringer, sometimes appears to have the effort of a training camp body, and has a history of injuries.

He could be anything from a total bust to the best player on defense.

We don't know, but we do know "max five sacks" is not his ceiling.
I hope my take didnt come off as negative. It was a fantastic signing. I’m skeptical we will be able to retain him if he puts it all together.

If he does and we cant, great signing. If he throws up 6-8 sacks we probably get a longer term discount if we want it. #1 thing it does is fills a major need heading into the draft.

49ers could’ve kept him for basically the same money that they paid to Floyd… but they chose Floyd, and let Young walk.
🤔

Would you rather play (for the same money) for a team that just went to the Superbowl and likely will be in the mix to do so again next year?…

Or..

…a laughing stock that just choked away the easiest schedule ever and has the worst head coach in the entire league???
Calm down, lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom