Saints sign Chase Young to 1-year deal up to 13M (2.7M base, 1.86M signing, 450K workout, 7.99M total gameday roster bonus) (1 Viewer)

A guy with an existing serious injury that requires surgery doesn’t get 13M fully guaranteed. The deal is nullified if he isn’t healthy enough to pass a physical. Saints aren’t paying someone 13M just to sit out the entire duration of the contract.

TJ is a podcaster, not a reputed reporter. He clashed with Nick Underhill for posting NOF’s player locker room interview videos without crediting them. He said Young’s visit was canceled after Nick said it was rescheduled. Not surprised that he’s making more news up for twitter engagement.
He does seem like an amateur and just in it for clicks

I’m typically don’t like these type of guys, but this man has the talent to be really good. The spotlight is on him, it’s a one year deal, no downside, great sign.

I said in the other thread that I thought Young would be our big FA signing this yr. It was our biggest position of need. It's good timing. He's gone through his injury period and has adjusted to the league. He's on a vet defense with very good leadership that he respects. He has a great upside, and he is very young. It's not like we signed a 32 yr old edge rusher on his way down. I predict 8-10 sacks and a lot of QB pressures. If so he could be a cornerstone of our D for yrs to come

He has put low effort plays on film and couldn’t do anything with SF’s better DL. We’ll see what happens since he’s young and has a high ceiling, but the one year deal speaks volumes to what the league thinks of him.
The one year deal shows what the league thinks of him & what he thinks of himself, I'm sure he thinks 13M is a bargain.

Couldn't do anything in SF but had 5 sacks in 7 games with Washington which would make him a double digit sack guy with them over a full season. I'm sure he has legitimate issues & things to work on but having another pass rusher is a plus & need.

I feel like Chase Young probably realizes this is a pivotal season. If he can’t turn it on this year, it ain’t happening. For the Saints, it’s the right deal for the right player. And if it doesn’t work out, the slate is cleaned (financially speaking) after this season. Danielle Hunter was never a possibility. This was the move to make. He had other options. Credit the Saints for locking him up.

Impossible. He cost us no draft capital. At worst he'll be a "swing and a miss" who ate up some of our cap money in 2024. I'd guess the "up to" part is money that could be spread out into the future. I hope thats not the case, I'd like to see us stop kicking the can so much. But this isn't a Davenport situation at all. Davenport cost us precious draft capital and a lot of tied up time.
And Davenport wasn't the DROY like Young, so it's no where close to being the same situation.

Don't like the move. We overpaid for what should be a situational pass rusher. He's not motivated and we gave him no reason to be if the contract is fully guaranteed. He Can change but his habits are pretty established.
What? It's still functionally a "prove it" deal because it's only for a year. He's trying to flip the one year into a mega contract. That's the motivation.

Considering his ceiling, $13 million for a one year prove it deal is actually pretty reasonable. That's what Davenport and Granderson made last season. Right around 25th in '24 season salary for edge rushers.

And I've been a critic of his since his second season with the Commanders. He actually had a decent rookie season, but hasn't really lived up to the hype since.
DROY is "decent" to you?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom