Saints sign Chase Young to 1-year deal up to 13M (2.7M base, 1.86M signing, 450K workout, 7.99M total gameday roster bonus) (1 Viewer)

A guy with an existing serious injury that requires surgery doesn’t get 13M fully guaranteed. The deal is nullified if he isn’t healthy enough to pass a physical. Saints aren’t paying someone 13M just to sit out the entire duration of the contract.

TJ is a podcaster, not a reputed reporter. He clashed with Nick Underhill for posting NOF’s player locker room interview videos without crediting them. He said Young’s visit was canceled after Nick said it was rescheduled. Not surprised that he’s making more news up for twitter engagement.
Understandable but his last couple information from this source came out to be true. We’ll just wait in see

I see people are taking issue with his 13M/1 yr fully guaranteed deal.

“Guaranteed” - Young is a vested veteran so his salary would guarantee in Week 1 if on the roster any way. If he can’t pass a physical, the Saints could likely release him at no cost.

“1 yr” - This is no lose for us. He shows low effort/production and we part ways. He balls and we resign or get a comp pick. I think we bought pass rush in 2024 and 4th/5th round comp pick for 2025.

I see people are taking issue with his 13M/1 yr fully guaranteed deal.

“Guaranteed” - Young is a vested veteran so his salary would guarantee in Week 1 if on the roster any way. If he can’t pass a physical, the Saints could likely release him at no cost.

“1 yr” - This is no lose for us. He shows low effort/production and we part ways. He balls and we resign or get a comp pick. I think we bought pass rush in 2024 and 4th/5th round comp pick for 2025.
Yep, the belly aching about the $13 million is misguided at best. It was going somewhere regardless. It's going to a position of need and the guaranteed salary doesn't really affect anything on a 1 year deal.

Yep, the belly aching about the $13 million is misguided at best. It was going somewhere regardless. It's going to a position of need and the guaranteed salary doesn't really affect anything on a 1 year deal.
I like that it's a 1 year deal. Get the cap hit over with this year and see if he's worth trying to retain next year.

I like that it's a 1 year deal. Get the cap hit over with this year and see if he's worth trying to retain next year.
Agreed. That, and I think Loomis will be in a better position to offer a longer term deal next year when there's a bit more cap room to work with.

Either way, we get him or we get comp pick(s). Not a bad deal at all.

I don't think the Saints will be taking the entire $13M hit this year. The deal may have 4 void years in it so that most (as much as $11.875M) is listed as a signing bonus that spreads out over 5 years. initially. If I am right the cap charge this year would be $1.125M + $2.375M= $3.5M. This way if they decide to extend him next year they proration stays spread out and if they don't get an extension the team takes a $9.5M hit next year.

I like it, we needed a body there and he has playing experience, relying on drafted players can take a couple years, as we have all seen as Saints fans. He's been in a NFL training offseason a couple years now, so he's growing into his man strength. Frees us up to take BPA, which we likely won't, but at least it presents the option.

I don't think the Saints will be taking the entire $13M hit this year. The deal may have 4 void years in it so that most (as much as $11.875M) is listed as a signing bonus that spreads out over 5 years. initially. If I am right the cap charge this year would be $1.125M + $2.375M= $3.5M. This way if they decide to extend him next year they proration stays spread out and if they don't get an extension the team takes a $9.5M hit next year.
I haven't read up on the details, but where are you seeing void years reported? All I've seen is the 1 year $13 million reported.

Void years are typically how Mickey does things but since we have the cap this year and haven’t been pushing stuff to next year this offseason, I think we might just take the whole hit this year. Especially since OTC has us listed as only 50m over next year and we can get under with just a few moves. We are listed as already under by nearly 100m for 2026. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Cam is completely washed, to the point where he’s not even a good run defender and is a net negative to the team. This move will, hopefully, help him sit on the bench more. Zero shame in no longer being up to it at (almost) 35 but we can’t afford for him to play much.
Cam was injured last year, he’s still the best we have vs the run on first down. Think back, have you ever seen his side constantly bulldozed and him run over? I can’t recall a single play. He’s still spry enough to evade pulling guards and still strong enough to win inside.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom