Saints sign WR Kirk Merritt (1 Viewer)

Find another comparable WR talent (physical attributes) that was signed who got his own discussion thread. I'll wait.
Lovely straw man you have there.

No-name WR signed, board goes crazy, each declared the next great one, nothing has changed.

Good answer. I knew you wouldn't be able to provide an example. Keep scrolling if you are offended.
SPARQ
Hand size
Highlight reel
Bloodlines
Home state
Inside leg measurement

I've heard them all. Nothing has changed. Scroll on if it offends.

So your solution to to the WR problem is to add more mediocre talent to it?
Exactumundo...If he has a chance that means we didn't do squat to fix our problems at WR.

Besides, these aren't the gonna make the 53 FA signings...that starts later this year, these are guys we just want to bring into camp for a look.

Re Receivers that get their own thread that end up as whatever? I don't think having a thread or not has any bearing on them being successful, surely there were threads on any of the following:

Andy Tanner
Onome Ojo
Brandon Coleman
the guy who stole from lockers
Keith Kirkwood
Kevin White
Kenny Stills (2nd time around)
...and others

Exactumundo...If he has a chance that means we didn't do squat to fix our problems at WR.

Besides, these aren't the gonna make the 53 FA signings...that starts later this year, these are guys we just want to bring into camp for a look.

Re Receivers that get their own thread that end up as whatever? I don't think having a thread or not has any bearing on them being successful, surely there were threads on any of the following:

Andy Tanner
Onome Ojo
Brandon Coleman
the guy who stole from lockers
Keith Kirkwood
Kevin White
Kenny Stills (2nd time around)
...and others
I actually liked Coleman.

The solution has to be multifaceted. Draft, free agency and off the street/practice squads. We have only so much cap space and draft picks and I honestly don’t care where they come from anyway, We need to give some players a shot. Davante Adams isn't going to just magically show up on our roster, so our pro scouts and college scouts have to put in some work and apparently they see some potential in this guy. I’m not hyping him up, not saying he’s the next coming of any star receiver, just saying that he‘s interesting and has some good measurables.

I'll be the hype man. Some posters think talent only comes in the 1st and 2nd rounds and have to have name recognition.

It's easy to disregard random players who aren't drafted, but when you can only afford so much talent under the cap teams have to look other places. Most teams have caps on what they spend for a position group. MT's salary cap hit in 2022 is $24.7M or roughly 11.9% of the projected salary cap for the team. We do not know how much the Saints allow for the WR position group, but we normally carry 5-7, usually 6 WRs on the roster. Even if they allow $50M for the WR position group which would be really high considering how many other position groups are on the team, he'd still eat up half of that. The team is forced to have to find talent in other places and hope to hit on a couple since there are still potential FAs they would like to keep and other players due extensions.

What if the FO feels they need to address the offensive line over the WR group in the draft? That is very possible considering the team got by when the line was healthy and the WRs were average, but when the line took a hit with the same WRs, the team struggled.

It looks like CSP has been adding some talented players to develop while keeping MT. Easop and Baker have talent and are developing. Baker has turned into a nice gunner on ST so it looks like he's carved out a role at the bottom of the roster for now. Easop has showed promise in the return game. LJH has learned the system and carved out that big WR role for now. White can play ST and is developing at the Z. Callaway has shown he can make some plays, but is not a gamebreaker so he's more of a #2/#3. TQS does the dirty work and there's already plenty of threads to discuss him.

I haven't populated my WR spreadsheet for this year's draft class yet, but if you were to compare Merritt to this draft class he'd grade out near the top. He also has 2 years on an NFL practice squad and since he was signed now, he'll have a head start on any draft pick. The red flag that hurt him in the draft is way in the past/non issue or they wouldn't have signed him.

Am I optimistic, yes.

there are so many reasons to pull for Merritt to breakout, redemption story, local kid, we need WRs.

He's shown he has talent when he gets on the field. Can he be consistent against NFL level talent, that remains to be seen, but there is no need to wizz on other people's cornflakes.

If we are excited in the off season about an inexpensive signing with a lot of upside potential, don't come in here being a wet blanket.

I mean how are you even a saints fan?

!?!?

Can you tell me who the best WRs for the saints in your lifetime have been and what round they were drafted in?

I didn't say WRs...the post I replied to was that some of our best players came from UDFA/late rounds...Regardless, it doesn't matter where some of our best players from the early days came from because last I checked, we won a grand total of 1 playoff games from 1967 - 2001. And even then our "greatest" player from that era was Archie drafted 2nd overall. But from our relevant years, sure...we've had a hit here or there in the UDFA market...but looking at our current roster, the majority of our impact players are early rd picks.

I mean, how great was our offense really w/ Eric Martin?

I sure wish we could go back to the era of Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis too. They could sign gems off of peoples practice squads and after the draft like nobody’s business. Oh, and when the drafted guys like Colston, Jahri, Carl Nick and Strief on day 3 of the draft. That was special. I sure wish we had Payton and Loomis back.
And the first 3 rounds gave us:

Kamara
Lattimore
Williams
Ramczyk
Thomas
Cooks
Adebo
Davenport
Jenkins
Ingram
Graham
Jordan
...and so on

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom