Saints Sean Payton opens up about why he left the Saints (merged) (1 Viewer)

This is exactly why he did this interview. Now, “if” the NFL reacts he will be able to point to this and prove retaliation. His luck, they are going to save their hammer drop in a situation that crushes Denver’s dreams. Much like how they did us
Yeah, I get his reasoning and I kind of hope the League sticks it to him again this year just to watch his head explode.

Midway through training camp in Denver, he went down a rabbit hole and watched every Saints touchdown during his tenure: 807 in all, the most during any 16-year span in league history. He showed the stats to former Saints QB Drew Brees, who was visiting camp.

Boy did we have something special here. Glad we got the one title, but it should have been at least a couple more.

I agree with coach though, the penalty disparity statistics speak for themselves. It is clear that we were playing a different game than everyone else in the league was.

But KC is a smaller market, they were on about the same level of success prior to Mahomes and Brees.
KC isn’t a particular notable metropolitan city. It’s in flyover county.
Same with the Bills, it’s not NYC, it’s upstate.
I think KC is larger market than NO. KC has about twice the population.

“7 years of cheating and 3 warnings” (Patriots cheating scandal)…….LOL, those dudes never stopped cheating
The League wasn’t in the middle of a multibillion dollar lawsuit about the hazards of concussions.
I’m aware of that. I just think it’s funny that whoever wrote this, thinks their cheating stopped after 7 years.

SP better tread lightly. Not sure if he thinks Ole Roger would be sanctioned if the penalties carry over to Denver. If “it starts with Roger” like he said, then who presides over Roger? Owners??? Like how much pull does he think his new owners have?

I think KC is larger market than NO. KC has about twice the population.
I made a mistake. KC has a higher metro pop, but they’re still at the bottom end of the League when it comes to metro pop.
As for the Saints, I’m getting various numbers from 972,000 to 1.5 million if you include a few counties in Mississippi.

So to summarize

He was tired of getting screwed with the ticky tack penalties each and every game, and he just got burnt out.... He felt the league (Goodel) was rigging thr games against him/the team, and he couldn't do it anymore

Yep, well I guess I can understand that

Good luck Sean, always a Saint

So Payton hired on with an owner that Goodell won't screw over?

I totally 100% buy his story. After the Minn Miracle and the no call, who would not be 100% mentally exhausted, plus he was losing his HOF QB. And I respect that he would not pull the rug out from under the new head coach after a year or two. DA or otherwise. Coaches are a closer knit fraternity that we realize. I wish him well and grateful for his time here.

Last edited:
The Saints victory over the Pats on the way to the SB is one of my favorite regular season games ever. Watching Brady and Bellichek looking sad on the sidelines was a dream. And this Sean story from this article makes it even better.

Once before a game against the Patriots, Payton dyed his hair and dressed up as Belichick and did an hourlong impression of the exact meeting happening in New England. It left the players laughing and motivated, and the Saints handed New England its worst loss of the Belichick era. "One of Sean's greatest capacities is to take whatever has happened and put it in the background," Loomis says. "He doesn't forget. But he bounces back."

“7 years of cheating and 3 warnings” (Patriots cheating scandal)…….LOL, those dudes never stopped cheating

I’m aware of that. I just think it’s funny that whoever wrote this, thinks their cheating stopped after 7 years.

Yeah, they cheated the entire time TB12 was in NE then he brought that with him to TB and FTX. Dude is scum, but he learned how to cheat from the "best".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom