Saints Sean Payton opens up about why he left the Saints (merged) (3 Viewers)

KC is a OG franchise in NFL terms. The Hunt family is one of the OG NFL families, even has the championship trophy named after their founding owner Lamar Hunt. The league will not shyt on KC forget about it!
You beat me to the punch. Lamar Hunt was a founder of the AFL and instrumental in the merger and considered a modern day founder. Crap, my son (who is turning out to be an NFL historian) told me that Hunt is responsible for the championship being called the Super Bowl. The Hunts being the owners ensures the Chiefs are good..lol

It would be hilarious is the Saints go to about average in penalty disparity this year and Denver goes to #32. I doubt that will happen, it will probably take the Refs a year or so to stop throwing the bogus flags on the Saints or to eat them for Saints opponents. Denver going to #32 would be poetic justice.

I went to the ESPN article and this jumped out at me:

Can you imagine regularly playing golf, or just hanging out, with John Elway, Jon Cooper and Wayne Gretzky?
My friend has stayed in that private community the past couple of years with his wife on a weekend getaway. He's told me stories having breakfast next to Bieber and Gretzky. Seeing Payton, even saw Stafford this past year there. I've known my friend since middle school so he's never BS me but I've always wondered??

I guess that's been confirmed.

Do you all think the Saints/Broncos are now friends for life? Or do you think Sean is just stirring the pot because the season hasn't started yet and he's bored? This guy clearly hates Roger and will for life. Maybe he blames Roger for his own struggles? I'm surprised Roger if off the hook for all the evil committed against the Saints. Especially Bountygate when he take away a year of the Saints most dominate time.

giphy.gif

More like, Drew declined and retired, and, Skylene was sick of New Orleans. Gotta go chase Parcells' 2 SB wins somewhere else.
I'm sure he could've taken a year off here too and was probably offered time away.

Do you all think the Saints/Broncos are now friends for life? Or do you think Sean is just stirring the pot because the season hasn't started yet and he's bored? This guy clearly hates Roger and will for life. Maybe he blames Roger for his own struggles? I'm surprised Roger if off the hook for all the evil committed against the Saints. Especially Bountygate when he take away a year of the Saints most dominate time.
It’s his out if the Broncos fail. Project everything to the League.

Makes you wonder why we put up with it year after year. I mean, what's in it for us to be jobbed every year and have no recourse except to impotently yell at the clouds?

Is one 2009 worth a lifetime of angst? Is just the hope of breaking through all those headwinds one more time worth it?

Sports fandom is stupid when you really break it down. None of us would tolerate this sort of return in our investment portfolio, and yet here we all are counting the days until the opener so that we can go through it all over again.
One big factor for me is my friends watch it. It's a social outlet for me to just go to the bar and hang out with my friends and watch the Saints. If I watched it alone every week, perhaps I'd think harder about your question.

Actually, in the article it states that he was hesitant because of a potential power struggle.
It said there was a tweet released by a Washington Post reporter that Payton feared a power struggle. Payton completely denies that, says power struggles with owners don't exist because owners always win, and thinks it's possible the league fed the reporter the article.

The game in London vs the Viking last year was a joke! At the end, pretty much every 3rd down the refs would throw a flag vs our defense. I was both crying and laughing at the same time!

Does anyone remember (in the last 10 years) a tight game that we won thanks to some help vs the refs?
2019 we beat Dallas 12-10 on Sunday night and one of our field goals came from a Vonn Bell fumble recovery in DAL territory that on replay looked 50/50 on whether or not the runner was down by contact. It was exactly the kind of call a league could plausibly have go against a team they disliked without much criticism from anywhere but Saints fans.

The 2018 regular season game (reffed by none other than Bill @#$ing Vinovich) had a crucial moment where the Rams faked a punt in their own territory (Justin Hardee would later forget that the Rams loved faking punts in the NFCCG). Punter went out and was marked just shy. On the radio, our announcers said it looked like he got the 1st and it would be overturned. It did not and we ended up getting points from the field position. Before the NFCCG, Rams fans were legit mad Vinovich had been assigned to the game (sad, bitter laughter).

The 49ers were hopping mad in 2013 about some of the unnecessary roughness calls that went against them when sacking/hitting Brees. The Steelers were furious about a DPI call in the endzone (that I thought was DPI but I'll admit it was kinda ticky tack) that led to Saints points in 2018.

We've been at the receiving end of some awful officiating, no doubt. That Vikings game last year was definitely bad, I was there for it (in a way, i'm glad b/c I didn't see how bad the hands to the face call was until after I got back to NOLA, I'd have been way angrier if I'd watched that on TV). But you asked for examples where won close games where some close or questionable calls went our way, and those were the ones that leaped to mind.

Personally, I think it's less about Bountygate and more about the NFL wanting Payton out of New Orleans and into a bigger market. Winning franchises in bigger markets make the NFL more money than winning franchises in smaller markets. The NFL is the billionaires club. It's always about more money.

2019 we beat Dallas 12-10 on Sunday night and one of our field goals came from a Vonn Bell fumble recovery in DAL territory that on replay looked 50/50 on whether or not the runner was down by contact. It was exactly the kind of call a league could plausibly have go against a team they disliked without much criticism from anywhere but Saints fans.

The 2018 regular season game (reffed by none other than Bill @#$ing Vinovich) had a crucial moment where the Rams faked a punt in their own territory (Justin Hardee would later forget that the Rams loved faking punts in the NFCCG). Punter went out and was marked just shy. On the radio, our announcers said it looked like he got the 1st and it would be overturned. It did not and we ended up getting points from the field position. Before the NFCCG, Rams fans were legit mad Vinovich had been assigned to the game (sad, bitter laughter).

The 49ers were hopping mad in 2013 about some of the unnecessary roughness calls that went against them when sacking/hitting Brees. The Steelers were furious about a DPI call in the endzone (that I thought was DPI but I'll admit it was kinda ticky tack) that led to Saints points in 2018.

We've been at the receiving end of some awful officiating, no doubt. That Vikings game last year was definitely bad, I was there for it (in a way, i'm glad b/c I didn't see how bad the hands to the face call was until after I got back to NOLA, I'd have been way angrier if I'd watched that on TV). But you asked for examples where won close games where some close or questionable calls went our way, and those were the ones that leaped to mind.

Thanks for responding, always good to hear different views. But still seems like it’s possible 2-3 games in 10 years(160-170 games). And some of them were 50-50 calls.

Either way, I appreciate your post!

2018 vs Steelers. Locked up HFA for us that year (before we got jobbed in a much worse way a month alter)

I'm sure there are others. We just don't care. No one cares/remembers when it benefits them :hihi:

To a degree, I agree with you. And I remember that in 2009, we got a lot of 50-50 calls in our favor. Sharper fumbling the interception in the end zone, and some 50-50 calls going in our favor vs the Vikings. But for 15 years, we had the most accurate QB to ever play the game, but our opponents were rarely called for DPI or holding from 2015- until now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom