Saints Sean Payton opens up about why he left the Saints (merged) (2 Viewers)

KC is a OG franchise in NFL terms. The Hunt family is one of the OG NFL families, even has the championship trophy named after their founding owner Lamar Hunt. The league will not shyt on KC forget about it!
So are the Lions and Cardinals and what has that gotten them?

KC is a OG franchise in NFL terms. The Hunt family is one of the OG NFL families, even has the championship trophy named after their founding owner Lamar Hunt. The league will not shyt on KC forget about it!
The Eagles are an original franchise and they claimed they got screwed during the Fog Bowl by not postponing the game.
The Cowboys are also a “marquee franchise” and their fans still say the reds were out to get ‘em in the “Dez Caught It” game.

What’s interesting is if the NFL/Officials really want to send Payton a message, the Saints start getting the 50/50s and penalties decrease significantly…

Everyone loved how CSP would throw up the middle finger to Goodel but it came back to bite us over and over.
Yeah but it sure felt good having someone with a microphone saying what we all felt. Love me some SP

Before the Broncos hired Payton, we had last caught up in early 2022, just after the Saints had commissioned a study of penalties drawn by each NFL team over the previous four seasons. New Orleans ranked 30, 31, 32 and 32. It seemed impossible to believe, with Payton's high-flying offense and passing-friendly rule changes. The data concluded that the Saints were the only team in the bottom five in penalties drawn for four straight seasons since 2006. That year is symbolic to Payton. It's when he was hired by the Saints -- and when Roger Goodell was elected as NFL commissioner. "The irony of it f---ing all," he says.

Payton presented the penalties study to the league. There was no response. "I think it starts with Roger," Payton says.

Battling the league on everything from sideline mics to entrance tunnels at neutral-site games. He got upset one year because the Christmas tree at the Saints' facility was too small. For a good year and a half, Payton gave a man stationed on the sideline evil looks, convinced he was a league spy. Payton later apologized to the man when he learned that he was the on-site concussion doctor.

Payton thought he would get a penalty similar to what Bill Belichick got for Spygate, after seven years of cheating and three ignored warnings: the maximum fine of $500,000. But that scandal didn't have the specter of player safety hovering over it, and Goodell suspended Payton for a year without pay, the first NFL head-coach suspension since 1978. He appealed to Goodell in person. Both men ended up screaming at one another. "With Roger, you got a red face," Payton says.

Then-Saints owner Tom Benson faced more criticism from within the league after Bountygate than when he threatened to move the Saints to San Antonio for a year after Hurricane Katrina. Commentators, executives in the league office, and then-owners Dan Rooney of the Steelers and Jerry Richardson of the Panthers urged Benson to fire Payton. The way they lined up against him heightened Payton's anger. At a dinner shortly after he was reinstated, in 2013, he sought out Richardson and Rooney. "I just want to thank you for your support while I was gone," he said, making sure they knew that he knew.

After 16 years in New Orleans, Payton was burned out on an existential level. The job was hard enough to do under ideal circumstances; to have his legacy subject to blown calls and bureaucracy left deep scars. He decided to walk away. "I got tired," he says. "There was a feeling, I would say on my part, of losing the jump balls in this game. You know? Success or lack of success with the Saints is a blip on the NFL."

Apparently part of his reasoning in wanting the Denver job is that they have powerful rich owners and the league is invested in them winning.

Apparently part of his reasoning in wanting the Denver job is that they have powerful rich owners and the league is invested in them winning.
Actually, in the article it states that he was hesitant because of a potential power struggle.

With respect to Denver this year:

He showed the team a video of a 2022 Ford Bronco driving off a cliff, letting players know last year is over. He told Wilson that to salvage his career he needed to focus less on Russell Inc. "Will you f---ing stop kissing all the babies?" he said. "You're not running for public office."

I do think we miss our players being subjected to these types of reality checks

Also.....all these "keeping it real" interviews.....I want to see the one where he comes clean on leaving here and the reasons.

After 16 years in New Orleans, Payton was burned out on an existential level.

giphy.gif

More like, Drew declined and retired, and, Skylene was sick of New Orleans. Gotta go chase Parcells' 2 SB wins somewhere else.

Not sure. I think there is definite bias against franchises whose success disrupted the direction the NFL wanted to go. Payton's continued success beyond 2009 is not something the NFL was ready for, certainly not after they were forced to keep the Saints in New Orleans, post-Katrina. Remember, that was a Tagliabue call, not a Goodell call.

Agreed. And if Tagliabue were still the commish instead of Goodell, none of this nonsense would be happening....IMO.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom