Saints Sean Payton opens up about why he left the Saints (merged) (5 Viewers)

But KC is a smaller market, they were on about the same level of success prior to Mahomes and Brees.
KC isn’t a particular notable metropolitan city. It’s in flyover county.
Same with the Bills, it’s not NYC, it’s upstate.
KC is football royalty, historically speaking.

I think in this case Payton's real issues are with the refs themselves. Riveron was always furious that Payton loud capped what they said on the phone in the press conference after the No Call and that's really when all of the over-the-top one sided offciating against us began.

I agree with him though because I felt my own burnout as a fan knowing we were always going to get cheated by the refs. Knowing we would always get a PI or holding call on 3rd down to either stop our drive or extend the opponents'. He was absolutely targeted and I hope they don't continue to hold it against us now that he's gone.

Even in the full article from ESPN Plus, it goes into how conspiratorial when it comes to the League .
He thought the League sent a spy on the sideline. Turns out it was the on field concussion doctor.

But KC is a smaller market, they were on about the same level of success prior to Mahomes and Brees.
KC isn’t a particular notable metropolitan city. It’s in flyover county.
Same with the Bills, it’s not NYC, it’s upstate.
Maybe I'm missing your point, but to clarify, the nail in this case is the New Orleans Saints with Sean Payton at the helm being hammered down by the NFL/Goodell for the bounty farce and other alleged misdeeds. The NFL made an example of a small market New Orleans Saints team, who had no horsepower to do anything about it.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but to clarify, the nail in this case is the New Orleans Saints with Sean Payton at the helm being hammered down by the NFL/Goodell for the bounty farce and other alleged misdeeds. The NFL was making an example of a small market New Orleans Saints team, who had no horsepower to do anything about it.
The League had an ex employee that was mad because he was fired for missing work days from the Saints along with a multibillion dollar lawsuit about concussions.
That gets lost in all of this. That concussion lawsuit went beyond ESPN and sports networks into the morning show circuit and the evening news.

I still remember when E. Sanders joined the team and was taken back by the penalties. This is when I knew the something wasn't right. I know to expect 2-3 missed/bad calls. Ref are human, but at the rate this team gets penalized and its always during a big play or potential momentum change.

“I’ve never seen the type of calls that they’re calling on the team over and over and over,” Sanders said, via Nick Underhill of NewOrleans.Football. “I’ve never been part of a team where we’re the second most penalized team. I’ve been in the league 11 years, I’ve never seen the calls that they make and then the calls that we don’t get, you know? Like, I see a running back running down the sideline and I see the cornerback get held and I know the refs see it but they don’t throw it. Sometimes I sit back and analyze like what the heck is going on with these refs?”

in his final four years with the Saints, his team was one of the three most penalized teams each season.

For that, he blames NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, saying, “I think it starts with Roger.” Overall, though, the coach was just burnt out after a decade and a half at the helm of the same franchise.

:theclown::littleclown::theclown2::littleclown2:

Not in the NFL's eyes. The Chiefs and the Hunts are still royalty.
But where does that put other franchises?
And I’m not just talking about the Saints, but also franchises that were previously unsuccessful, but are now powerhouses like the Seahawks.

But where does that put other franchises?
And I’m not just talking about the Saints, but also franchises that were previously unsuccessful, but are now powerhouses like the Seahawks.
Not sure. I think there is definite bias against franchises whose success disrupted the direction the NFL wanted to go. Payton's continued success beyond 2009 is not something the NFL was ready for, certainly not after they were forced to keep the Saints in New Orleans, post-Katrina. Remember, that was a Tagliabue call, not a Goodell call.

Not sure. I think there is definite bias against franchises whose success disrupted the direction the NFL wanted to go. Payton's continued success beyond 2009 is not something the NFL was ready for, certainly not after they were forced to keep the Saints in New Orleans, post-Katrina. Remember, that was a Tagliabue call, not a Goodell call.
But it still doesn’t make sense. The League kept putting the Saints in the spotlight by giving the max or near max prime time games.
Even this season, with DA, the Saints got 3.

The proof is in the fact that our opponents were never penalized, even teams that were otherwise highly penalized. Tripplet wrote an excellent piece on this while he was still at ESPN, I think. We ranked near the bottom of the league for penalties called against our opponents for several years is a row, which is a much more subtle way that officials can control the outcome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom