Saints Sean Payton opens up about why he left the Saints (merged) (3 Viewers)

Not sure. I think there is definite bias against franchises whose success disrupted the direction the NFL wanted to go. Payton's continued success beyond 2009 is not something the NFL was ready for, certainly not after they were forced to keep the Saints in New Orleans, post-Katrina. Remember, that was a Tagliabue call, not a Goodell call.
Doing what's best for business isn't the same thing as enjoying having to do it.

Makes you wonder why we put up with it year after year. I mean, what's in it for us to be jobbed every year and have no recourse except to impotently yell at the clouds?

Is one 2009 worth a lifetime of angst? Is just the hope of breaking through all those headwinds one more time worth it?

Sports fandom is stupid when you really break it down. None of us would tolerate this sort of return in our investment portfolio, and yet here we all are counting the days until the opener so that we can go through it all over again.

Exactly why I love him, he isn't scared to speak out....It's also why I pretty much watch the redzone now (unless the Saints are a national night game) and don't take the NFL seriously any longer. It's just simply entertainment, thanks to Goddell and the corrupt billionaire owners I just don't care as much, not invested emotionally any longer......they are hell bent on destroying the integrity of the game....
💯.

in his final four years with the Saints, his team was one of the three most penalized teams each season.

For that, he blames NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, saying, “I think it starts with Roger.” Overall, though, the coach was just burnt out after a decade and a half at the helm of the same franchise.

:theclown::littleclown::theclown2::littleclown2:
It wasn't just that we were the most penalized.

We were also the team with the fewest penalties called on our opponents, which I wish the author had picked up on.

You can always blame a team for being sloppy, but it's beyond reason that every opponent suddenly cleans up their act against us.

I always say that I can’t wait until we get our own 30 for 30 that touches on the greatness that could have been for us. Like all the players from that NFCCG will have to be out of the league or not with the NFL to dish out true feelings. Aside from the ‘06 NFCCG against Chicago, it pains me to know we should have had at least 2 more SB appearances with the loss to SF and the fiasco with L.A.

I went to the ESPN article and this jumped out at me:

Can you imagine regularly playing golf, or just hanging out, with John Elway, Jon Cooper and Wayne Gretzky?

No, but of course I would be happy hanging with Drew Brees. LOL
Even in the full article from ESPN Plus, it goes into how conspiratorial when it comes to the League .
He thought the League sent a spy on the sideline. Turns out it was the on field concussion doctor.

What do you mean it was the on field concussion doctor? What did he do?

He left because he had no qb and couldn’t develop one. Bree’s carried him and now he hope Wilson can regain his confidence and play like he did for Carrol.

I think in this case Payton's real issues are with the refs themselves. Riveron was always furious that Payton loud capped what they said on the phone in the press conference after the No Call and that's really when all of the over-the-top one sided offciating against us began.

I agree with him though because I felt my own burnout as a fan knowing we were always going to get cheated by the refs. Knowing we would always get a PI or holding call on 3rd down to either stop our drive or extend the opponents'. He was absolutely targeted and I hope they don't continue to hold it against us now that he's gone.

The game in London vs the Viking last year was a joke! At the end, pretty much every 3rd down the refs would throw a flag vs our defense. I was both crying and laughing at the same time!

Does anyone remember (in the last 10 years) a tight game that we won thanks to some help vs the refs?

But KC is a smaller market, they were on about the same level of success prior to Mahomes and Brees.
KC isn’t a particular notable metropolitan city. It’s in flyover county.
Same with the Bills, it’s not NYC, it’s upstate.
KC is a OG franchise in NFL terms. The Hunt family is one of the OG NFL families, even has the championship trophy named after their founding owner Lamar Hunt. The league will not shyt on KC forget about it!

MY OPINION for years has been that there are about six to eight owners who “control” Goodell. Long existing owners, franchises that control the direction of the league. Their teams always, at a minimum, will continue to get at least a fair shake. As long as these super owners are content, not complaining, Goodell can pretty much do as he pleases with all the rest. Most of the other owners of course compete to win a championship, ‘expect’ and ‘do’ get a fair shake, and are mostly content with the bottom line ($$$). They don’t mind letting these top-dog owners continue to advance the league with tremendous upsurges in team values, profits, successful negotiations with the players union, etc. These other owners just fall in line and don’t try to create waves. I believe ALL of these 32 team owners know what has transpired (negatively) with the Saints. The 31 other owners are content with hey, it’s not us! And they sure as heck don’t want to be in our shoes. It’s one opponent where they might get a slight edge when they play head to head. Why rock the boat, better to just stay quiet and avoid getting into the same Goodell dog house.

Will things change for the better now that Payton has left? How does Goodell see Mickey Loomis? Is he also despised? Certainly there is no resentment towards Mrs Benson as she is certainly a conforming and graceful owner.

Amazingly, our bamboozled Saints with the cards stacked against us, have been fairly successful. However, had we been treated equally, do we claim any more championships, how many more sacks does Cam Jordan have, Brees touchdowns, Lattimore interceptions, etc etc …

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom