Shooter incident at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas - 19 children and 2 adults dead (3 Viewers)

That’s the Child ID “kit” first posted on 10/17 here. My wife said her school had not received any of those. I have a strong feeling there will be an uproar if they do. I told her that if she has to send those home to include a note that says, “For questions or concerns about this kit, please contact Greg Abbott and Mike Morath.” Morath is the head of the Texas Education Agency.

A grieving mother in Uvalde, Texas, is expressing her dissatisfaction over a call she says she got from the Uvalde school district, addressing an outfit her surviving daughter recently wore — five months after the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in which the girl's sister Lexi Rubio, 10, was killed.

As seen in a transcript of the voicemail, shared by Kimberly Mata-Rubio on social media on Oct. 26, a school staffer requested that the 11-year-old's parents "bring either another pair of pants or maybe some leggings" to put underneath the girl's ripped jeans, as "it looks like the cuts are ... a little too high up."

"One thing we're not going to do is dress code my 11-year-old for some ripped jeans," Kimberly tweeted alongside a screenshot of the voicemail transcript.

She added, "UCISD (Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District), focus on school security. Maybe, if you had, my daughter, her little sister would still be alive."............

The victims of the Uvalde school shooting have filed a $27bn lawsuit against 376 officials from state, police, school and law enforcement agencies.

The class action lawsuit filed in federal court in Austin, Texas on Tuesday, said that officials waited over an hour to confront the shooterinside the fourth-grade classroom.

On 24 May, 21 people were killed after Salvador Ramos opened fire inside Uvalde’s Robb Elementary School, in one of the deadliest school shootings in the country.

The lawsuit seeks damages for those who have sustained “emotional or psychological damages as a result of the defendants’ conduct and omissionson that date.”

The suit has been filed by school staff and representatives of minors who were present on campus at the time of the shooting.

It claims that instead of following previous training to stop an active shooter, “the conduct of the three hundred and seventy-six (376) law enforcement officials who were on hand for the exhaustively torturous seventy-seven minutes of law enforcement indecision, dysfunction, and harm, fell exceedingly short of their duty bound standards”.

A separate $6bn lawsuit was also filed by a group of survivors against Daniel Defense, the company that made the gun used by Ramos and the store where he bought the gun.

While the manufacturer has not responded to the suit, CEO Marty Daniels, at a congressional hearing earlier this year, called the shooting and others like it “deeply disturbing”……..

The victims of the Uvalde school shooting have filed a $27bn lawsuit against 376 officials from state, police, school and law enforcement agencies.

The class action lawsuit filed in federal court in Austin, Texas on Tuesday, said that officials waited over an hour to confront the shooterinside the fourth-grade classroom.

On 24 May, 21 people were killed after Salvador Ramos opened fire inside Uvalde’s Robb Elementary School, in one of the deadliest school shootings in the country.

The lawsuit seeks damages for those who have sustained “emotional or psychological damages as a result of the defendants’ conduct and omissionson that date.”

The suit has been filed by school staff and representatives of minors who were present on campus at the time of the shooting.

It claims that instead of following previous training to stop an active shooter, “the conduct of the three hundred and seventy-six (376) law enforcement officials who were on hand for the exhaustively torturous seventy-seven minutes of law enforcement indecision, dysfunction, and harm, fell exceedingly short of their duty bound standards”.

A separate $6bn lawsuit was also filed by a group of survivors against Daniel Defense, the company that made the gun used by Ramos and the store where he bought the gun.

While the manufacturer has not responded to the suit, CEO Marty Daniels, at a congressional hearing earlier this year, called the shooting and others like it “deeply disturbing”……..

Good. Such craven dereliction of duty should have a cost.

It is 10am on the east coast right now

I do not own a gun. If I decide right now "I want to buy a gun" I don't think there should be anyway or any scenario that I should have a gun in my possession in my home by the time I go to bed tonight

Saying "I think I want to buy a gun" should be less like "I think I want to buy a new TV" and more like "I think I want to adopt a baby" - there should be a thorough process

There should be required training/safety/storage requirements (in fact there should be required before you're able to take possession of a gun)

If someone wants to own a hundred guns, they can own a hundred guns. But there should be a record of the 100 guns, exactly what the gun is, serial number, where you got it, and if you sell a gun, who did you sell it to, and that person need to register that they got it from you

And no one needs 100 guns for home defense or hunting, if you want that many guns fine, but once you get past X number of guns there should an extra fee/tax

I believe it's the same for cars, at some point a few cars turns into a fleet which I think there are costs past that threshold

Once the number of guns you have can be described as an arsenal - there should be extra costs involved

I don't think that background checks should be a one and done. That's fine for one handgun but for a certain number of guns or certain type there should be periodic checks

You pass the checks with flying colors today, great. 3 years from now you start tweeting out violent threats, that should show up on someone's radar and someone should show up on your doorstep (side question, why do so many of these shooters seem to post about it or general violent intentions beforehand?)

These are just some thoughts I've had, and I know they are inconvenient, especially for life long responsible gun owners, but I don't think there is any way to solve this issue without causing inconveniences
Posted on MAP as well

Approach from a country that also has the constitutional right to bear arms

I suspect the American failure rate would be much higher
=======================
PRAGUE — When eight people had taken their seats in the classroom, the proctor put on his glasses and said it was time to begin. He took attendance. He glowered as one person walked in late.

He described how the test would work — 30 multiple-choice questions, 40 minutes — and how to properly mark an X on the answer sheet. Then he ordered phones away; only a pen and paper, he said, were permitted on the table.
“If anybody needs to go to the toilet, now is the time,” he said.

The test had all the tedious markings of a high school exam, down to the motivational poster on the wall saying “I will.”

But in the Czech Republic, this is part of how you obtain a gun.

And 40 minutes later, three of the nine had already failed, ushered out the door as the others went on to the later stages of the exam, in which they had to prove the ability to handle a weapon safely and shoot accurately.

In an America riven by gun violence, with recent mass killings at a Walmart in Virginia and an LGBTQ club in Colorado, weapons can often be purchased without even a background check.

With the country divided about even the smallest changes to gun laws, the question is only hypothetical: What if anybody who wanted a gun had to first prove their competence?

The Czech Republic embodies an answer.

By European standards, its gun laws are permissive. It allows people to carry concealed weapons for the purpose of self-defense, and it is one of the few countries in the world — and the only one in Europe — that provide the constitutional right to bear arms.

But exercising that right is contingent on the test.

Czech lawmakers and gun owners say their national system dramatically increases the odds of responsible ownership. The rules also require a health clearance and a background check, and demand safe storage of weapons once they are purchased.

In a country more populous than New York City, there were seven homicides using guns during all of last year.

“We really have bad politics in many ways here — corruption. But something I am proud of is this law,” said Martin Fiser, 35, a weapons instructor. “It can be a model for the rest of the world.”

The test is obligatory for anybody who wants a weapon, including hunters, collectors, even someone inheriting a shotgun from a grandfather.

The standards are high: The test consists of questions randomly drawn from a pool of 501 possible.

Those trying to obtain the hardest-to-get license — for concealed carry — can miss no more than one question. The failure rate is around 40 percent…….

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/11/25/gun-rights-test-czech-republic/

Posted on MAP as well

Approach from a country that also has the constitutional right to bear arms

I suspect the American failure rate would be much higher
=======================
PRAGUE — When eight people had taken their seats in the classroom, the proctor put on his glasses and said it was time to begin. He took attendance. He glowered as one person walked in late.

He described how the test would work — 30 multiple-choice questions, 40 minutes — and how to properly mark an X on the answer sheet. Then he ordered phones away; only a pen and paper, he said, were permitted on the table.
“If anybody needs to go to the toilet, now is the time,” he said.

The test had all the tedious markings of a high school exam, down to the motivational poster on the wall saying “I will.”

But in the Czech Republic, this is part of how you obtain a gun.

And 40 minutes later, three of the nine had already failed, ushered out the door as the others went on to the later stages of the exam, in which they had to prove the ability to handle a weapon safely and shoot accurately.

In an America riven by gun violence, with recent mass killings at a Walmart in Virginia and an LGBTQ club in Colorado, weapons can often be purchased without even a background check.

With the country divided about even the smallest changes to gun laws, the question is only hypothetical: What if anybody who wanted a gun had to first prove their competence?

The Czech Republic embodies an answer.

By European standards, its gun laws are permissive. It allows people to carry concealed weapons for the purpose of self-defense, and it is one of the few countries in the world — and the only one in Europe — that provide the constitutional right to bear arms.

But exercising that right is contingent on the test.

Czech lawmakers and gun owners say their national system dramatically increases the odds of responsible ownership. The rules also require a health clearance and a background check, and demand safe storage of weapons once they are purchased.

In a country more populous than New York City, there were seven homicides using guns during all of last year.

“We really have bad politics in many ways here — corruption. But something I am proud of is this law,” said Martin Fiser, 35, a weapons instructor. “It can be a model for the rest of the world.”

The test is obligatory for anybody who wants a weapon, including hunters, collectors, even someone inheriting a shotgun from a grandfather.

The standards are high: The test consists of questions randomly drawn from a pool of 501 possible.

Those trying to obtain the hardest-to-get license — for concealed carry — can miss no more than one question. The failure rate is around 40 percent…….

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/11/25/gun-rights-test-czech-republic/
The constitution gives me the rights to guns
God gives me the privilege to be able to get them from a vending machine

interesting article on the word "tragedy"
================================

It’s the easiest word we reach for to describe things we often find indescribable, especially for politicians:

“We had a horrific tragedy overnight at UVA, lives were lost and families changed forever,” Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin tweeted after the shooting there last month.

“We can’t and won’t prevent every tragedy,” said President Biden after the schoolhouse massacre in Uvalde, Tex., as he strained for the right words to look toward solutions.

“Our thoughts are with their families & everyone enduring another senseless tragedy,” former president Barack Obama tweeted after the 2017 mass killing at a concert in Las Vegas.

Tragedy. I’ve used the word hundreds of times over decades spent grappling with the precise words for human suffering — most recently when I wrote about the 10-year anniversary of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary.

But this week, Timothy Kendall stopped me in the middle of my keyboard taps, re-upping a request he’d sent in a letter to the editor earlier this year: “Would The Post please, please, please stop using the utterly inadequate term ‘tragedy’ to refer to a mass murder?”..........

“Calling a school shooting (or a lynching, or the slave trade, or the Holocaust, or the Trail of Tears, or for that matter any deliberate murder) a ‘tragedy’ is like calling brain cancer a “headache,” he wrote.

Hmm. Okay, I’m listening.

“ ‘Tragedies’ are left in the wake of such things as hurricanes, tornadoes, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, wildfires, accidents, epidemics, strokes, heart attacks, sudden illnesses,” he wrote. And, he said, “nothing reasonable can be done to stop or prevent them. ... The proper word for any deliberate murder is ‘atrocity.' ... Atrocities are somebody’s fault, often both the perpetrator’s and numerous enablers’, and they can often be stopped.”........

Let’s see what a dictionary says:

A tragedy is “an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe,” according to the Oxford-informed Google dictionary.

An atrocity is “an extremely wicked or cruel act, typically one involving physical violence or injury.”

That makes sense. Mass shootings — especially when we look at those clearly fueled by racism, politics, homophobia, antisemitism, sexism or, simply, pure evil — are atrocious.

“Words matter,” Kendall told me.

Of course. But will a semantic shift sway public opinion, framing our national bloodshed as something cruel, evil and, ultimately, preventable?

While the us of “tragedy” is not inherently political, it can be used to distance an event from its root causes. America is the only country to grapple with gun violence of this type and magnitude because, among other issues, Americans have seemingly endless access to guns.

interesting article on the word "tragedy"
================================

It’s the easiest word we reach for to describe things we often find indescribable, especially for politicians:

“We had a horrific tragedy overnight at UVA, lives were lost and families changed forever,” Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin tweeted after the shooting there last month.

“We can’t and won’t prevent every tragedy,” said President Biden after the schoolhouse massacre in Uvalde, Tex., as he strained for the right words to look toward solutions.

“Our thoughts are with their families & everyone enduring another senseless tragedy,” former president Barack Obama tweeted after the 2017 mass killing at a concert in Las Vegas.

Tragedy. I’ve used the word hundreds of times over decades spent grappling with the precise words for human suffering — most recently when I wrote about the 10-year anniversary of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary.

But this week, Timothy Kendall stopped me in the middle of my keyboard taps, re-upping a request he’d sent in a letter to the editor earlier this year: “Would The Post please, please, please stop using the utterly inadequate term ‘tragedy’ to refer to a mass murder?”..........

“Calling a school shooting (or a lynching, or the slave trade, or the Holocaust, or the Trail of Tears, or for that matter any deliberate murder) a ‘tragedy’ is like calling brain cancer a “headache,” he wrote.

Hmm. Okay, I’m listening.

“ ‘Tragedies’ are left in the wake of such things as hurricanes, tornadoes, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, wildfires, accidents, epidemics, strokes, heart attacks, sudden illnesses,” he wrote. And, he said, “nothing reasonable can be done to stop or prevent them. ... The proper word for any deliberate murder is ‘atrocity.' ... Atrocities are somebody’s fault, often both the perpetrator’s and numerous enablers’, and they can often be stopped.”........

Let’s see what a dictionary says:

A tragedy is “an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe,” according to the Oxford-informed Google dictionary.

An atrocity is “an extremely wicked or cruel act, typically one involving physical violence or injury.”

That makes sense. Mass shootings — especially when we look at those clearly fueled by racism, politics, homophobia, antisemitism, sexism or, simply, pure evil — are atrocious.

“Words matter,” Kendall told me.

Of course. But will a semantic shift sway public opinion, framing our national bloodshed as something cruel, evil and, ultimately, preventable?

While the us of “tragedy” is not inherently political, it can be used to distance an event from its root causes. America is the only country to grapple with gun violence of this type and magnitude because, among other issues, Americans have seemingly endless access to guns.

‘The intention behind the word matters’

Tragedy actually means ‘goat song’
Tragos (goat) + ode (song)
There was a type of (ancient) Greek drama that were worships of Dionysius - the celebrants dressed as satyrs (which is also where we get satirical) - usually goat skin
As the religious practice faded the plays started to focus on serious (vs comedic) issues - the nature or man, civil justice, et al

UVALDE, Tex. — Bullets had pierced Eva Mireles’s chest as she tried to shield students from a gunman’s semiautomatic rifle. But the fourth-grade teacher at Robb Elementary was still conscious when police carried her out of Classroom 112 and through a hallway crowded with dead and dying victims.

“You’re fine. You’re fine,” said her husband, Uvalde school district police officer Ruben Ruiz, who had been frantically trying to rescue her since the attack began. Mireles looked at him but could not speak. She’d been losing blood for more than an hour.

Officers placed Mireles on the sidewalk just beyond one of the school’s exits and started treating her wounds. A medic later told investigators he did not see any ambulances, though video footage showed two parked just past the corner of the building, about 100 feet away.

The chaotic scene exemplified the flawed medical response — captured in video footage, investigative documents, interviews and radio traffic — that experts said undermined the chances of survival for some victims of the May 24 massacre. Two teachers and 19 students died.

Law enforcement’s well-documented failure to confront the shooter who terrorized the school for 77 minutes was the most serious problem in getting victims timely care, experts said.

But previously unreleased records, obtained by The Washington Post, The Texas Tribune and ProPublica, for the first time show that communication lapses and muddled lines of authority among medical responders further hampered treatment.

Three victims who emerged from the school with a pulse later died. In the case of two of those victims, critical resources were not available when medics expected they would be, delaying hospital treatment for Mireles, 44, and student Xavier Lopez, 10, records show.

Another student, Jacklyn “Jackie” Cazares, 9, likely survived for more than an hour after being shot and was promptly placed in an ambulance after medics finally gained access to her classroom. She died in transport………

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom