Shooter incident at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas - 19 children and 2 adults dead (4 Viewers)

Yes, it's already illegal to a crazy murderous guy with an AR-15 to go into a school

That's not the issue

The issue is the Winnie the Pooh book is a preferred solution versus A. making it hard as fork for crazy murderous guy to get an AR-15 and B. making it easier for crazy murderous guy to get the mental health treatment he needs so maybe he's not crazy and murderous anymore
I agree.

You do not to a degree. To my knowledge there is no state that allows a person to carry a firearm legally into a school unless they are a cop. I know there has been a push nationally for teachers to be allowed to carry but not sure if any of that has passed.

I don’t see a problem with the book beyond the fact someone would desire to harm a child.

I know in Wisconsin it is illegal for anyone beyond law enforcement to carry a firearm onto school property. If you have a CCW you can carry on the sidewalk if you will outside of school property but not on to school property. We also have open carry in Wisconsin. If you don’t have a CCW you can’t be within 1000 ft of a school.

Ultimately I hate our children have to be taught to fear some whack job coming to kill them.

On a side note I did have conversations with my kids on what to do and where to go if someone broke into our home. A child’s first impulse is typically to go to mom or dad. My kids were taught were to hide and that me or mom would get there as quickly as we can. It never happened but there’s something to be said about being prepared.
My point was that the rights of the shooter are more important in the USA than the right of children to feel safe at school.

I don't see anyone saying that tho. Maybe a small minority of people actually think that.
Think about it in practical terms
Who is being made to/asked to change their behavior in order to avoid the next horror?
Schools, kids, teachers, etc
Who is not really asked to change their behavior to avoid the next horror?
Gun owners, potential gun owners, gun sellers, gun manufacturers, legislators, nra, etc

Think about it in practical terms
Who is being made to/asked to change their behavior in order to avoid the next horror?
Schools, kids, teachers, etc
Who is not really asked to change their behavior to avoid the next horror?
Gun owners, potential gun owners, gun sellers, gun manufacturers, legislators, nra, etc
Sure, but that's not what he said. If this is what he was getting at, then I don't really disagree with your sentiment. Several gun owners on this and other threads have talked about what they can do to change the situation, from training, to licensing, to registration etc. Now getting support for those things at a state and national level is a different challenge, but it can be done.

Sure, but that's not what he said. If this is what he was getting at, then I don't really disagree with your sentiment. Several gun owners on this and other threads have talked about what they can do to change the situation, from training, to licensing, to registration etc. Now getting support for those things at a state and national level is a different challenge, but it can be done.
The problem is that Semper and others like him who are all for responsible gun ownership seem to be in the minority. We have legislators posting Christmas cards of them and their families all holding guns. The sentiment among many gun owners seems to be tha the second amendment is the most important amendment, and trumps all other rights.

This is what I get out of all the headlines of massacres committed by nuts with AR-15's, and the complete lack of response and outrage from many legislators.--"Gun rights first, **** everything else, including the rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

I will also admit my jaded bitter cynicism regarding the US is at an all-time high right now.

Last edited:
The problem is that Semper and others like him who are all for responsible gun ownership seem to be in the minority. We have legislators posting Christmas cards of them and their families all holding guns. The sentiment among many gun owners seems to be tha the second amendment is the most important amendment, and trumps all other rights.

This is what I get out of all the headlines of massacres committed by nuts with AR-15's, and the complete lack of response and outrage from many legislators.--"Gun rights first, **** everything else, including the rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

I will also admit my jaded bitter cynicism regarding the US is at an all-time high right now.
And I get the cynicism. It's a reasonable response to all of the shootings that have happened in recent years. But I do think that the relatively idiots out there are are screwing things up for the majority of those people who are responsible citizens.

I personally think the should be far more restrictions on gun ownership, and most responsible gun owners think the same.

Some do put guns above all else, but those are the exception and not the rule. I also think a lot of people who don't necessarily think that unwittingly support unfettered gun rights because they're worried it might affect them. I don't agree with that sentiment, but it is what it is. I do hope people will be more receptive to changing gun laws to reduce violent crime, but that's ultimately becomes a political discussion.

Just a reminder that political posts and post quoting them will get deleted. Please go to the MAP site for political discussion.

Some do put guns above all else, but those are the exception and not the rule.

The exceptions are setting the rules.....otherwise common sense gun laws that almost nearly every other country has in place in some form or fashion, would be in place right now.....

The exceptions are setting the rules.....otherwise common sense gun laws that almost nearly every other country has in place in some form or fashion, would be in place right now.....
I wouldn't say they're setting the rules. Maybe at a statewide level in some states, but I wouldn't say that's the case nationwide. I do think the majority of the population should do more, but the political climate being as dysfunctional as it is now makes that a tall order.

And those who propose arming teachers as a defense against school shootings completely fail to see the problem or are too beholden to gun blood money to care.

Arming teachers will create a gunfight at the OK corral scenario, the problem is not as many bad guys will get killed

I wouldn't say they're setting the rules. Maybe at a statewide level in some states, but I wouldn't say that's the case nationwide. I do think the majority of the population should do more, but the political climate being as dysfunctional as it is now makes that a tall order.

You wouldn't? If not, then you are really not paying attention here.....the majority of the population in the US want common sense gun laws, what's preventing it are the lawmakers who are beholden to the NRA.....

And those who propose arming teachers as a defense against school shootings completely fail to see the problem or are too beholden to gun blood money to care.

Arming teachers will create a gunfight at the OK corral scenario, the problem is not as many bad guys will get killed

It's utterly lunacy....the only answer is, of course, more guns.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom