Sno Balls......Favorite??? Favorite Flavor?? (2 Viewers)

The only snoball stand that exists in my mind is Hansen's. They use real sugar to make their own syrup. And the ice is perfect. My aunt used to do snoballs exactly like this in Houma. Everything else is not worth the money or calories.

Oh, and coconut is the only flavor. But I'll buy a bubblegum once every 2 or 3 years. I fear change. ;)
Some things never change...
This is what posted in this same thread back in '09
Agreed. There are many subpar snoballs in New Orleans. Hanson's is the only one I go to. I suspect that they cook their own syrup with real sugar, which makes a big difference. My aunt used to have the best sno ball stand ever, in Houma. For you Houma guys, it was the "rainbow sno ball" across the street from Super Suds Carwash. She was meticulous to the point of being silly. My great grandmother cooked the syrup for her. Alas, all good things must come to and end.

As for flavor, there is only one. That is coconut. Sometimes, if I'm feeling decadent, I'll get coconut cream.

I probably said this somewhere else in this thread, too, but Hansens always seems to really skimp on the syrup. The bottom third of mine is always just ice, BUT that might just be a problem with the small size I buy.

Sister's Snowballs in Watson is really good. Their chocolate made with hershey's syrup and condensed milk is fantastical.

Hanson's is great because of that ice. The ice sets them apart from everyone else because everyone else has the same Snowizard machines (while Hanson's machine was made in house 70 years ago).

Has anyone here ordered a Hanson's snoball in a trash can (you know how they have the cans on the wall)? I asked a guy serving us yesterday if he had ever sold one and he said he hadn't, but recently a frat bought one and filled the snoball with hooch.

A blast from the past... Nice bump...

Nectar creme with condensed milk.

/thread

Went to Sal's Tuesday night, the termites were swarming so bad, I could still feel them crawling on me Wednesday morning...:no:

Oh, this Sals?
bbb4658ab1366f53a77fe7bcdc9903e5.jpg

Gerry's on Williams in Kenner used to be my favorite, but it's not the same since Ms. Gerry passed. I now go to Bubby's across from Wal-Mart by Loyola and W. Esplande. Their sno-balls are very good. My favorite flavor of all time is Lemon-Lime, but I like so many flavors: Kiwi-Strawberry, Creamy Cococnut, and of course, Strawberry Cheesecake with Condensed Milk.

I heard someone tell me Bubby's was more of a chipped crunchy ice, than an actual snowball, but that was right after they opened a few years ago.

We usually just go to Sunnys on Williams & W. Esplanade. Still < $2 for a large, and pretty good.

Just so you're aware, it's quite tart (which is what makes it so amazing).

I seem to remember that there was a third tart flavor last time I was there, besides orangeade and sno-bliz. Maybe it was Satsuma? I remember it being pretty good, too.

I seem to remember that there was a third tart flavor last time I was there, besides orangeade and sno-bliz. Maybe it was Satsuma? I remember it being pretty good, too.

There's orangeade, lemonade, and limeade all on the same little sign (it's tiny and you have to really look for it). I'm not sure about satsuma, but someone mentioned it earlier as well (maybe Brennan?). Sounds interesting; I'll have to give that one a shot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom