Stevie Ray Vaughan is the G.O.A.T. Change my mind (4 Viewers)

Vaughn was an incredible virtuoso, but his wangy tone always struck me as tacky. He also wrote a lot of bland songs that makes sitting through one of his albums very difficult.

Hendrix was much better.

Kurt was an insane guitar player.

Not technical, but inventive.

I'm on your side.
I get that he was instrumental in starting a new era of rock music.

But I do not see him as an inventive guitar player. He was serviceable in that department (at best). His strengths were his voice and his knack for melody & song construction.

Disagree, I'm a guitar player (and ok for a sloppy one)...GH was the best guitar player in the Beatles and it wasn't close, he played some very clever slide guitar....I actually think he was the best musician in the band as well, as he played a pretty mean sitar also.....

We are not in much disagreement.

I love George but Paul is a master.

Listen to this bass line.

Paul was the best musician in the group. It's not close. Drums, piano, guitar, and one of the best bassist of all time.

I would pick George over John as a guitar player, but it's a close thing. John had his moments.

Songwriter? During the Beatles years it was close, but John was better as a solo artist.

I don't think you can say that when George gave up music after that crazy law suit.

I think that stopped a ton of good music.

I don't think you can say that when George gave up music after that crazy law suit.

I think that stopped a ton of good music.

My Sweet Lord.

I'm not criticizing George. He wrote the two best songs on Abbey Road.

But Paul was and is a better musician.

Wait. None of youse guys mentioned Clapton? The guitar God? Or Hendrix? What is wrong with y'all? At least y'all got Satriani.

Still, SRV is my favorite to listen to.

And the way it looks on this thread, we're actually talking about second best (to Clapton) so its this guy:

Beat that shirt! And just a little extra

How bout 18 notes per second

Not a big C&W fan, but I can recognize true genius when I hear it.

And I do love me some Buckethead, too. See @tjharris , post #11.

Last edited:
SRV is my favorite modern-era blues guitarist, followed closely by Robert Cray and (gasp) John Mayer. BB, Albert, Buddy, et al are from a different time.

Many great axemen listed in this thread, and many more not listed. My vote for all-time best goes to Pat Metheny.

BTW, where are the wimmins? No mention of Shawn Colvin, Patty Larkin, Susan Tedeschi, fo' shame.

GOAT guitarist is like GOAT ice cream; too many flavors and nuances of flavors. At least there's someone for everyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom