SXSW Bully sucker punch. Justified or cheap? (1 Viewer)

The punch might have been a bit justified, because the guy picking the fight was being a bully. However, a different tact might have been more prudent. You can't just sucker punch someone because you don't like the way they are acting.

Consider for a moment that the guy fell and hit his head, which put him into a coma. This video would have become evidence in an assault investigation. Consider that he died while in the coma. Then it becomes either a manslaughter, or homicide investigation.

While the guy was an idiot and deserved to look like a fool, it was the guy who punched him who could have become the bigger fool, and thrown his life away because he tried to play the hero.

Just my perspective.

I agree.

However, the bully guy deserved it and got what he deserved.

I hope the guy who hit him gets a ticket for littering for tossing that sack of garbage on the ground.

A - Totally deserved (agree that the kicks when down was too much)

B - Loved that the guy provided his own sound effect and said BOOM when he punched him

I hope you guys who red-thumbed what I said realize that what I said was absolutely right. Not one word of it was false. You go around hitting someone with a sucker-punch, or any punch for that matter, and if he ends up in the ICU in critical condition, you WILL be sought by the police and taken to jail. If the man succumbs to the injury, you WILL be charged. Red-thumb all you want, it doesnt change the illegality of the situation.

I'm okay with it.

The punch might have been a bit justified, because the guy picking the fight was being a bully. However, a different tact might have been more prudent. You can't just sucker punch someone because you don't like the way they are acting.

"When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
Maybe someone who knew how to retrain the fella should have stepped in first.

Still I agree that charges of manslaughter could have likewise been justified had the crazy hair man died - as one possibility.

B - Loved that the guy provided his own sound effect and said BOOM when he punched him

That was crazy

It all depends on what you mean by "how they are acting."

I agree you can't sucker puch someone for wearing a silly hat or telling jokes you have heard before.

However, if you use reasonable force in the protection of a third party it is justified. It was obvious someone was about to get hurt. Why should that someone not be the guy who simply will not take, "I don't want to fight" for an answer?

The first kick while the bully was on the ground was borderline, but I would give the kicker the benefit of the doubt on that since he may not have known instantly that the guy was no longer a threat.

I agree you can't sucker puch someone for wearing a silly hat or telling jokes you have heard before.

Sadly.

As to the video, I have zero idea about what went down before this, so I'm not ready to turn anyone into a villain or folk hero based on two minutes of footage. But if circumstances warrant, there's nothing wrong with a sucker punch. If you want rules or forced notions of honor and respect, go watch boxing or MMA. That's not how fights play out in the real world. A fight isn't two guys punching each other in the face until one falls down, it's people trying to harm the other person in any way possible.

I hope you guys who red-thumbed what I said realize that what I said was absolutely right. Not one word of it was false. You go around hitting someone with a sucker-punch, or any punch for that matter, and if he ends up in the ICU in critical condition, you WILL be sought by the police and taken to jail. If the man succumbs to the injury, you WILL be charged. Red-thumb all you want, it doesnt change the illegality of the situation.

The last I heard, hitting and threatening other people is considered assault. I don't think you get to commit assault and then sue the person who stopped you, even if they had to use violence. I'm no lawyer, so maybe I'm wrong (I'm sure Chuck will be along to correct me in a moment)...but I kinda doubt there will be any legal backlash on our "good Samaritan." If he's been chasing and hitting these guys for 5 minutes while they keep saying they don't want to fight, I highly doubt he has the moral high ground.

A very good friend of my dad's died in the street in a similar situation. I never met him but from what I gather he would not hurt a fly, but some scumbag waited for things to cool off after a few words were exchanged and sucker punched him on his blindside just like this. He was dead before he hit the ground. The guy he hit him came from a good family but is now serving time for manslaughter.

Since that situation, I cannot view something like this as ok or deserved. If, as it seems, he had decided he was going to step in, fine. Push him, square up to him, let him know you have a problem and you want to sort it out. Then fight him if you really must. The guy probably deserved a lesson, but punching anyone blindside to the temple is being a scumbag IMHO

What also disturbs me is the people with the camera phones, screaming you got knocked the **** out etc. The guy could, like my dad's friend, have been dead. Imagine if you were the family afterwards and had to see this back at an inquest. Hundreds of human beings laughing and hollering around a lifeless body whilst scrambling to get the best Instagram pic. Pretty indicative of what is wrong with parts of 21st century society.

A sucker punch from someone is a coward IMO. If he's that much of a man why didn't he tell guy to tone it down or hit him or push him when he was standing right there next to him? Cause he's a punk. Someone should've cold cocked him after he sucker punched the guy. But as one mentioned we don't what took place from the video. If guy hit him and had no reason which is likely what took place he's a punk. That's not a fight to take from behind. The guy seemed like a **** playing with ppl like he was cool but no reason to take him out.

C'mon...the guy in the video is clearly the instigator. He literally hit someone in the face 2 seconds before getting punched. He got what he deserved.

What if you square up to the guy like a white knight and he pulls a weapon? Real life is not a movie. I'm sorry about your friend's dad, but it sounds like that was a completely different situation.

Sucker punching is female lady part kind of stuff. If you're not squaring up face to face, you might as well give up your man card. Even women go toe to toe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom