Television recommendations please (2 Viewers)

Pioneer perfected it, Panasonic bought it.

You have a point, but Panasonic's plasmas were pretty damn good even at the beginning of the Kuro era.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I went with the Panasonic 55inch ST50, plasma. Beautiful screen, though a bit dark at standard settings. In the evening, when the room is dark, the screen is, IMO, second to none that I have seen. We watched the documentary, Baraka, and holy smokes, this screen rawks your face. During the day, when we don't watch much anyway, it's definitely beneficial to turn up some of the settings. We don't have curtains yet, but I closed the shudders in the room and it's perfectly good for game day. Reflections aren't too bad as long as you don't have a direct light hitting the screen, which I suppose goes for LED as well. Either way, for the money, I am very pleased. The TV is sleek and performs very well. I even had my cell phone sending video and photos over DLNA last night.

Sounds very nice Brennan. Do a search and see if you can find anyone that's posted their calibration settings online. I found the custom settings for my Samsung on the AVS forums and it made a world of difference in the IQ over the factory defaults.

I have a 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma, PDP-5020FD, that I bought 3 years ago that I wouldn't trade for anything currently on the market. The darkest blacks that you'll find anywhere and the picture is absolutely amazing. There are still a few out there if you look hard enough.
If I had to buy another TV, I'd definitely go with a plasma and would recommend a Panasonic if you can't find a Pioneer Kuro.

I have a 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma, PDP-5020FD, that I bought 3 years ago that I wouldn't trade for anything currently on the market. The darkest blacks that you'll find anywhere and the picture is absolutely amazing. There are still a few out there if you look hard enough.
If I had to buy another TV, I'd definitely go with a plasma and would recommend a Panasonic if you can't find a Pioneer Kuro.

Kuro plasma is the best tv ever made. PERIOD! :9:

Kuro plasma is the best tv ever made. PERIOD! :9:

I've heard they are incredible, epic even. That said, a 60inch model is $6k. That considered I am loving my Panasonic. It's competitive with an LED LCD during the day. But in the evening without sun light coming through the windows, it is better than any LCD I have seen. It does put off a bit of heat though.

does anyone have a good recommendation for a tv to be used in my cabana?
I want 35-40".

I've looked at the "Outdoor" televisions but they're overpriced. I could buy 4 regular TV's for the price of one of those so I figure if I'll just look at at a regular tv and replace it if it wears out.

I just don't know if there is a model that will hold up better than others outdoors...

does anyone have a good recommendation for a tv to be used in my cabana?
I want 35-40".

I've looked at the "Outdoor" televisions but they're overpriced. I could buy 4 regular TV's for the price of one of those so I figure if I'll just look at at a regular tv and replace it if it wears out.

I just don't know if there is a model that will hold up better than others outdoors...

My father in law went with an inexpensive 47in Vizio to put outside. He had a canvas cover made to put over it when not in use. It's been up at least 5yrs without any issues.

Personally, I would buy a mid level plasma now and consider OLED when it drops in price.

I'm not a big fan of the current LCD/LED technology. I hate the soap opera effect and the blacks are not true enough for me. I watch a lot of sports and plasma handles motion much better. My Samsung plasma has anti-glare coating that really minimizes glare, pretty much making it a non issue.

Fair warning - you will probalby be told by the salesmen at big box stores that LED is the only way to go. I think this is because margins are typically higher and the technology is a little newer.

Don't take much stock in the picture you see in the store for your comparisons. Your perception is very much influenced by the calibration (or lack thereof) of the televisions and the lighting in the store. Are you really going to watch the TV with 20 ft ultra bright ceiling lighting? Are they both being fed the same source? (I wouldn't be surprised to see LEDs hooked up to HDMI sources and plasmas hooked up to s-video sources.)

Lastly, I would recommend reading avsforum and watching cnet reviews for more in depth analysis. You can get more information about failure rates and common problems from enthusiasts.

I have an opportunity to buy a new 55 inch Sony Bravia LCD 120hz 1080p hdtv., for $300--good deal? What are the downfalls for this tv-not a tech person, so researching is out(wouldn't understand the terminology anyway) What is the difference in lcd and led for example? Would you buy this, and why or why not?

ps thought it was better to bump an old thread than to start a new one.........

I was a huge Vizio guy until I bought this LG 50" from Best Buy. It wasn't even on display. It was supposedly marketed in Australia and they couldn't sell them. $999 later and I have a sweet 240hz 1080p that rocks!

I have an opportunity to buy a new 55 inch Sony Bravia LCD 120hz 1080p hdtv., for $300--good deal? What are the downfalls for this tv-not a tech person, so researching is out(wouldn't understand the terminology anyway) What is the difference in lcd and led for example? Would you buy this, and why or why not?

ps thought it was better to bump an old thread than to start a new one.........

That seems too good to be true. Is it stolen? ;)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom