Texas HS student lays out ref who ejected him. (1 Viewer)

So if the player gets a slap on the wrist for being basically a repeat offender and the referee experiences substantial injuries that are extended longer than usual, should he be able to sue the parents? Something is obviously wrong with this young man.
The player is 18 and responsible for his own actions. The official could sue the player for injuries if he wishes to.

i think it's safer to say he's liable for his own actions
That's an appropriate refinement, but I am comfortable with generally "responsible" as well. Adults from poor backgrounds are still responsible for their actions, and many fight through obstacles to make good decisions.

Unfortunate circumstances and outcomes aren't always someone else's fault, as you might believe.

That's an appropriate refinement, but I am comfortable with generally "responsible" as well. Adults from poor backgrounds are still responsible for their actions, and many fight through obstacles to make good decisions.
i was mostly extending the conversation to include recent theories in brain chemistry - mostly that the suggestion is that the 'adult' brain really doesn't settle in until 25-28
i think we have age distinctions now based on physical markers - like puberty or when sexual (and/or muscular) development 'completes'
but we're beginning to understand that brain/social maturity lags far behind physical development - my guess is just like we know think it beyond the pale for 11-14 yr olds to be parents (whereas a few centuries ago it was not), in time we will recognize brain development on its own terms

If this happened to the refs in the NFC title game I would've been cool with it.

I would like to think he was a Saints and Seahawks fan....A harmonic pay back for NFC title game and Super Bowl XL. The world is some how in balance again.

In reality though, the High School Football Referee didn't deserve it. I did play high school football and emotions do run high, so maybe the ref on the field can forgive the kid on the Texas football team for the late hit?!?!

i was mostly extending the conversation to include recent theories in brain chemistry - mostly that the suggestion is that the 'adult' brain really doesn't settle in until 25-28
I agree but does this mean that brain development has regressed? I think it's an interesting discussion.

My old high school coach would have went nuts over this.
We had a player moon a passing car while we were on the team bus. Coach found out and the next practice we ran wind sprints for the entire practice time.
Can't imagine what he would have done for this action.

I agree but does this mean that brain development has regressed? I think it's an interesting discussion.

I've read theories that basically state due to generally longer lifespans and much easier quality of life/less being asked of people at younger ages, brain maturation has become delayed. I've seen the very loose notion that a modern 25 or 26 year old is probably on par with where a 21 year old would have been, say, 60 or 70 years ago.

In some cultures/religions adulthood begins at age 13, which is the age when puberty usually starts obviously. The kid has been trained to tackle and defeat the opponent, that is what he did. Obviously what he did was wrong, but he did what he thought was right at the time.

A discussion no football fan wants to discuss is, the harmful effects of playing football. Endless injuries including both mental and physical. I could see a lawyer possibly defending the kid (guy hasn't even left high school at this point) in court, if it went that far, that he was a victim of an aggressive sport, that went to far. In the heat of the moment sort of thing.

I also heard that mental development isn't reached until age 25. In any event, I think the kid should do community service, see a therapist, and be banned from competitive sports until he is cleared by a medical professional. Jail time seems a bit over top in my opinion, but an apology is in order for sure.

In some cultures/religions adulthood begins at age 13, which is the age when puberty usually starts obviously. The kid has been trained to tackle and defeat the opponent, that is what he did. Obviously what he did was wrong, but he did what he thought was right at the time.

A discussion no football fan wants to discuss is, the harmful effects of playing football. Endless injuries including both mental and physical. I could see a lawyer possibly defending the kid (guy hasn't even left high school at this point) in court, if it went that far, that he was a victim of an aggressive sport, that went to far. In the heat of the moment sort of thing.

I also heard that mental development isn't reached until age 25. In any event, I think the kid should do community service, see a therapist, and be banned from competitive sports until he is cleared by a medical professional. Jail time seems a bit over top in my opinion, but an apology is in order for sure.
I said jail time and then when I re-read it, realized how knee-jerk I said it. Maybe a weekend stint or something at most if that'll get his attention. But def. the community service and therapy. No idea what his background is but I hope someone close to him can steer him right.

I believe that is FALSE. There is ZERO evidence to support that notion. Players were more disciplined and respectful of rules and law and order, because they were double disciplined. Once at their school/game, then double whammied by their responsible parents. Today, many parents condone that type of behavior as being a MAN!

Oh please stop this "back in the day" nonsense. The ONLY difference now is everybody has their personal camera to record this stuff.

I think criminal assault charges are pretty extreme for something like this. Kick him off the team, expulsion, something of that sort.

It was blatant and it is was not his 1st rodeo. Therefore, in this case, he deserves a more harsh punishment. I am not disagreeing with the proposition of reforming our criminal justice system, for more reasonable punishments for crimes actually committed. There are many incarcerated for less heinous crimes, and not enough incarcerated for the most heinous crimes. There are a lot of inequalities. It is not a perfect system. But the fact remains. I bet the parents and how he was raised, had a lot to do with his reaction.
This is more an indictment on our justice system than it is this instance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom