That first round pick we gave the Eagles (1 Viewer)

I just want to interject one key point into this whole discussion of draft picks and trades.

Under the current NFL CBA, it's critical to get your first round picks right, and for them to produce as quickly as possible. This is because rookies get really screwed money wise by the CBA (vets dominate the union, of course - they negotiated a CBA that really hit players in college who had no seat at the bargaining table).

You get a first-rounder at well below FA rates for 5 years.

If a player produces right away at a high level (Olave), that is huge for the building of the rest of your roster.

IMHO, this really militates against "project" players who could be great after 2-3 years of "coaching up." Because by the time they get there, you're going to be paying market FA rates for their future performance, and you didn't get such great performance while they were cheap.

If Olave produces at his current rate, he will have 82 receptions for 1340 yards [edit: over a 16 game season - I forgot there were now 17]. This would've been 7th overall in the NFL last year in yardage.

I'm not saying he will do that. But he is already producing as a top WR right now, at a base salary of $705,000, and a cap hit of $3.5M.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom