The Expanse (5 Viewers)

I pretty much disagree with everything you just said. The episode where they all switched bodies was excellently acted. If people could actually swap bodies they wouldn't have acted any differently, that's how good they are. That's just one episode.
And yet, I'd forgotten it. I'd argue that it's actually pretty easy to switch a character like that when you have the person right there to show you how and have been working with them for 30 episodes.

Adam Project comes to mind. A child actor was able to perfectly imitate Ryan Reynolds as a child. Not exactly a high bar for a kid who grew up with Deadpool and ... well Ryan only has the one character, but a preteen novice actor pulled it off.

Farscape also has the problem of I didn't watch it back when the effects were more cutting edge. They felt really cheesy and it hurt the believability of the show imo.

Like I said ymmv.

And yet, I'd forgotten it. I'd argue that it's actually pretty easy to switch a character like that when you have the person right there to show you how and have been working with them for 30 episodes.

Adam Project comes to mind. A child actor was able to perfectly imitate Ryan Reynolds as a child. Not exactly a high bar for a kid who grew up with Deadpool and ... well Ryan only has the one character, but a preteen novice actor pulled it off.

Farscape also has the problem of I didn't watch it back when the effects were more cutting edge. They felt really cheesy and it hurt the believability of the show imo.

Like I said ymmv.
I disagree, it's not easy to exactly perfect someone elses mannerisms. One can get close but not PERFECTLY REPLICATE someone else. I mean not a lot of actor's have excellent range so it's not a given that someone can act like someone else. I didn't see Babylon 5 for the first time until much later and love that show. The effects shouldn't detract from how good the show is despite how badly dated B5 is. Also, ymmv? What does that mean?

We can agree to disagree.

Your Milage May Vary, it's a shorthand way to say just because I feel the way I do, doesn't mean you'll have the same reaction.
I'll take your word for it because I still don't understand how your mileage may vary equals you may feel different than I do.

Like I said ymmv.
Both shows are the epitome of what they do.
Farscape was the first show with genuinely alien aliens. Rygel and Pilot weren't just actors with forehead prosthetics. They were also well-realized individuals. You could read a line of dialogue and have a good idea which character said it. They all had their own voice.
The Expanse is on the flipside of that realism coin. The show is so devoted to realism that actual physicists applauded the effects and the way space itself is like another character.

I'll take your word for it because I still don't understand how your mileage may vary equals you may feel different than I do.
Ymmv is a fairly common internet acronym
(based on car commercials disclaimers since their mpg is based on ‘ideal driving conditions’)
It mostly started as an acknowledgment that the opinion about to be expressed is not universally agreed:
“ymmv but I think DS9 is the best trek”
Now it’s usually used to say ‘let’s agree to disagree’

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom