The Last of Us (HBO series - spoilers within) (3 Viewers)

Oooooooo.... I might actually finish it this time. When it goes on sale...

looks like there are some pretty bad technical issues with the release...probably trying to get it out the door while the hype train is still rolling

buyer beware

Last edited:
please file this under how the hell did I miss it. I can't imagine its a spoiler since I watched the whole series without knowing but last night I finally started "The Making of" How many knew the fungus was real? The only thing they made up was that it can affect humans. It takes over ants and makes them walking spore incubators. It even makes them kill their colony. This has to be what keeps ants up at night

The fungus from The Last of Us is based on a real fungus that exists in nature today and is called Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, or cordyceps. Cordyceps is often referred to as the “zombie-ant fungus” because it primarily infects ants and other insects such as spiders.

please file this under how the hell did I miss it. I can't imagine its a spoiler since I watched the whole series without knowing but last night I finally started "The Making of" How many knew the fungus was real? The only thing they made up was that it can affect humans. It takes over ants and makes them walking spore incubators. It even makes them kill their colony. This has to be what keeps ants up at night
It was from an episode of Planet Earth narrated by David Attenborough focused on jungles. Here's the specific part about cordyceps.

IIRC the show starts out with debating whether or not it can affect humans.
Well, it couldn't affect humans in 1968 which was when the fictional TV interview took place, which started the opening of Ep 1. There was a debate and it was about how concerned we should be with a viral pandemic affecting all of humanity. But one of the epidemiologists brushed off the pandemic idea, but then brought up he was more concerned with fungus even though they couldn't infect humans due to our body temperatures being too high for them to survive. He then theorized that maybe it would be able to if the planet warmed, and cordyceps mutated to survive at higher temps. Fast forward to 2003 and mutation was complete and spread was via "the perfect substrate", flour.

If it was just these bugs and not crashes, this would be the best remaster master ster to date.

It's crazy too, Naughty Dog doesn't usually have these kinds of huge issues (at least that I can recall). Someone mentioned they must have had to push to ride the hype, and I would guess that's the case.

and the mycelia network that they talked about in the show is also "real". The game ignored that, but the show threw it in. It's even the whole basis of the Star Trek Discovery show. The network extends throughout the universe and the ship has an engine that allows it to travel along the network to any point along it. I recommend some Paul Stamets videos if you want to learn more about fungus.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom