The Mandalorian discussion thread (2 Viewers)

I have a question about carbonite. It seemed like in Empire that it was an improvised solution for locking up Han. It was on the cloud planet mining facility that really had no use for putting people into stasis. They all seemed surprised that it didn't kill him. It seemed clear that carbonite was for some other purpose.

But in the Mandalorian, it seems like it's SOP for bounty hunters. Mando had a book of those things in his hold.

Was it a coincidence that two people happened to figure out carbonite as people-transit at roughly the same general time period or did word just spread to the BH community that it worked after Jabba?

I had the same question, and in my head, I came up with the second answer. Word must have spread about it. Han was on full display at Jabba's for quite some time before he was rescued, any number of bounty hunters could have seen him and decided to try the method for themselves.

And as for plenty of time for Boba Fett to tell people how great it works... he was in the belly of the Sarlac for a good portion of that time and then busy looking for his armor after that. And even if he wasn't otherwise tied up, why would he be spreading this great new method of bounty carrying to his competitors? Seems like a nice little edge he'd developed.
It's the time frame between the escape from cloud city and han's rescue - I'll double check but 6 months sticks out in my mind

If that's right that is plenty of time - for Fett to share and for Han to be seen even if Fett was tight lipped about it

It's the time frame between the escape from cloud city and han's rescue - I'll double check but 6 months sticks out in my mind

Looks like anywhere between 6 months to a year.

Before the new canon was established, James Kahn's 1983 novelization of Return of the Jedi stated that Luke and his friends could not rescue Han for about six months. It was explained following his thawing that, "He was, understandably, disoriented, after having been in suspended animation for six of this desert planet’s months—a period that was, to him, timeless." This was considered the official timeframe of his absence, but has since made way for a new explanation since the book is no longer canon.

According to the official timeline of the films, the events in The Empire Strikes Back took place in 3 ABY (After the Battle of Yavin) and the events of Return of the Jedi took place in 4 ABY, meaning that Han was frozen for roughly one year. While most of the planets, like Coruscant, follow a Galactic Standard Year of twelve months, planets like Tatooine have longer days due to their twin suns and measure a year as 304 days instead of the standard 368. This makes it more difficult to pinpoint the exact amount of time that Han was frozen for.

However, a year seems more likely than six months in the new canon, as the recent Star Wars comic series from Marvel has started to cover the events between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. So far in the series, the Rebel Alliance has been stretched thin and is trying to rebuild its forces. Meanwhile, Luke is on a quest to complete his training, even obtaining an entirely different lightsaber from his green one. Since the series is still ongoing, there will most likely be even more events to pad the time before the Rebels are reunited with Han, further justifying a year as the correct time frame.

I had the same question, and in my head, I came up with the second answer. Word must have spread about it. Han was on full display at Jabba's for quite some time before he was rescued, any number of bounty hunters could have seen him and decided to try the method for themselves.

This is my take. The story of what happened to Jabba had to be a big deal. Any number of people were probably talking about the daring rescue of Solo from his carbonite prison. That was 5 years before Mandalorian so plenty of time for bounty hunters to employ the solution.

I thought that "new canon" meant scrapping the post Return of the Jedi extended universe - I didn't realize that it was retconning anything prior to that

I have a question about carbonite. It seemed like in Empire that it was an improvised solution for locking up Han. It was on the cloud planet mining facility that really had no use for putting people into stasis. They all seemed surprised that it didn't kill him. It seemed clear that carbonite was for some other purpose.

But in the Mandalorian, it seems like it's SOP for bounty hunters. Mando had a book of those things in his hold.

Was it a coincidence that two people happened to figure out carbonite as people-transit at roughly the same general time period or did word just spread to the BH community that it worked after Jabba?
It’s a good question
And the people talking about Boba being a salesman for carbonite does not make much sense - bounty hunting is clearly a competitive nd private enterprise- why would he divulge trade secrets so readily??

tangential question- still have no idea how word spreads in this galaxy- there is certainly no GNN- hardly any media at all save for holograms

It’s a good question
And the people talking about Boba being a salesman for carbonite does not make much sense - bounty hunting is clearly a competitive nd private enterprise- why would he divulge trade secrets so readily??

tangential question- still have no idea how word spreads in this galaxy- there is certainly no GNN- hardly any media at all save for holograms

Boba wouldn't have to have talked

Han was on display at jabba's for all to see to story would have gotten out - Jabba hired bounty hunters and they would have seen it and put two and two together

Going from "I never would have thought of using carbonite this way" to "what a great idea! No escape attempts, no crying or pleading, no offers of 'I'll pay you double' just a nice quiet transit back to your client"

I don't know if the game Star Wars: The Old Republic is canon, but it takes place 3000 years prior and they use carbonite in the game.

Han didn’t seem that bothered by it

Han “what’s going on, buddy?”

Lando “you’re being put into carbon freeze”

and that was it. No outburst, no reaction at all

if someone said that you were about to be encased in cement or ice you’d probably have something to say about that

maybe it was a mining technique that Han didn’t even know what it was

Han didn’t seem that bothered by it

Han “what’s going on, buddy?”

Lando “you’re being put into carbon freeze”

and that was it. No outburst, no reaction at all
The Empire had been torturing the bejeezus out of him prior to that. He was probably grateful for the break.

You are overthinking this. Carbonite was created with Empire Strikes Back. The actors and their reactions were going by the script written for them. They didn't have a prior refrence to Carbonite the same as The Kessel Run. All of the refrences in other books, games, movies, spinoffs etc were backing into it from that one moment. Sometimes it just doesn't have to make sense for it be understood and work in that moment.

You are overthinking this. Carbonite was created with Empire Strikes Back. The actors and their reactions were going by the script written for them. They didn't have a prior refrence to Carbonite the same as The Kessel Run. All of the refrences in other books, games, movies, spinoffs etc were backing into it from that one moment. Sometimes it just doesn't have to make sense for it be understood and work in that moment.
bo-ring
anyone with a mouth can eat what is spoonfed to you
the fun in being an audience is getting to try to tie threads together that don't seem to fit
I don't care that the writers on Lost pulled the cord and jumped to safety in the 6th season - the fun is seeing if you can land the place

Lucky we have you around to remind us this is fiction and these are all actors.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom